• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Directions To Kaththankudi

trinity

Hi Friends

I have to go to Kaththankudi tomorrow. Im starting from kalutara. Have no clear idea about which route to take (I've never been there before). Appreciate if you guys could give directions considering good road conditions & safety if i had to drive during the night.

Many thanks :)

Hi Friends

I have to go to Kaththankudi tomorrow. Im starting from kalutara. Have no clear idea about which route to take (I've never been there before). Appreciate if you guys could give directions considering good road conditions & safety if i had to drive during the night.

Many thanks :)

'trinity',

I hope you will know to go to Baticallow on Colombo to Dambulla then to Batticallow Few killometers from Batti town.

You are very safe to travel in the night there are few check points they do not harass you like good old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOw7QWeoyuo&feature=related

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi
  • Like 1

Colombo - Dambulla-Polonnaruwa-Welikanda-Vaalchchenai-Batticalao-Kattankudy.

Roads are excellent however, try not to speed as the cops love to catch you.

Also remember the weather is very crappy and there are floods all over.

Hi VVTi & whmsujith

Thank you so much for the info.. im also worried about the weather machan.. but this is a must go tour. two of my friends are on their way to bati as we speak, they also told me to take the route which you have mentioned.. they will give an update of the flood conditions within another few hours.. hopefully everything will be ok..

Thank you guys...

Cheers!

the road from batti to kattankudi is fantastic! kattankudi itself is a sight too see. they have date palms on the divider in the middle of the road. cops are very very trigger happy tho. i once got stopped 7 times between dambulla and kalmunai

Edited by Komisiripala

Batti to Pottuvil road via Kattankudy is probably the best road in SL, IMHO. Ripper and i were doing 130kmh+ on our XRs on that road it was amazing! But then the cops were very happy to point the radar gun as well. In Kattankudy we took the cops by suprise that by the time he had the gun pointed at us, all 5 bikes were long gone! It was an amzing ride. Can only imagine how it will be in a car.

• Like 1

Batti to Pottuvil road via Kattankudy is probably the best road in SL, IMHO. Ripper and i were doing 130kmh+ on our XRs on that road it was amazing! But then the cops were very happy to point the radar gun as well. In Kattankudy we took the cops by suprise that by the time he had the gun pointed at us, all 5 bikes were long gone! It was an amzing ride. Can only imagine how it will be in a car.

wooow machang, how heroic. you sound so proud of your stunt.

wooow machang, how heroic. you sound so proud of your stunt.

Well, for a Hybrid Inbred gimp like you it must be sounding like that... :)

But for some of us, its no big deal.

Your life's greatest stunt would have been to hyper-mile down Galle Road... :)

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 1

Try this link for directions, anywhere in the world. dont forget to click the "show driving directions too"

http://www.rome2rio.com/

Link for Kandy Padiyathalawa- Kaththankudi

http://www.rome2rio....nkudy,Sri+Lanka

Enjoy!!

MINIACE

This site seems to be simply reusing google maps directions.

See the google maps link for Kandy to Kattankudy: http://g.co/maps/pzuzg

Well, for a Hybrid Inbred gimp like you it must be sounding like that... :)

But for some of us, its no big deal.

Your life's greatest stunt would have been to hyper-mile down Galle Road...

No big deal? Riiight. So much for the law enduring responsible citizen. :)

ahh...good times :)

to me the best ride was through vilpattu jungle and the ride through lahugala. was doing 140+ on the 6th when and the xr maxed out.

next trip we'll get them dominator 650's :P

As for responsible driving... we dont speed in built up areas. neither do we speed just for kicks. When the road is clear for few hundred metres ahead with nothing to cross your path...i dont see a problem in going fast. We were on bikes and we all know all too well a knock at those speeds means nothing less than death. Especially in remote areas with little support.

We have been doing these bike trips for over 10 years without any major incident. That's a far better track record than most motorists on our roads driving within speed limits and still getting into accidents. So save the preachings.

HI all

Came home last night.. the drive was fan freakin tastic... through the habarana forest & so on,, its like windows wall papers everywhere.. :) VVTI, Miniace , komisiripala & sylvi thank you so much for sharing your experience & valuable advice... they helped a lot throughout the trip. As you guys said cops were like hawks there, from Dambulla to Bati i think i passed over 25 places who were trying to catch you speed up.

Tricky people , they keep aiming their radar guns at you in slopes, so that even if you keep your foot @ 70kmph in the slope when it goes up, they can catch you. Thanks to the warnings of other motorists, i was able to go to Bati without being copped. But on my way back i got copped two times within 2kms for cutting the single straight line. few hundred bucks did the talking for me... :)

I didnt speed over 80kmph untill i come to E01. It saved lot of fuel & energy i think. And less risk too. Left kattankudi at 5.15pm & came home at 2.am today (Stopped for dinner @ dambulla, 2 times for cops , dropped 3 friends to their homes & stopped 2 times to pee :) . )

Ah forgot to tell,, saw elephants when passing Habarana area,, what a sight it was.. scary though, one of my friends prayed for safe ride pass them...

Kathtankudi was nice & surprisingly developed.. good roads good people.. to me it looks like the longest town in the country.. We found a fantastic place to eat. And let me tell you guys the food was phenomenal & cheap too... wow.. if you are skinny and want to be fat within a short period of time, i suggest you to go to kathtankudy and live there for a month.. :) :)..

My sweetheart Lancer brought me back home safely & without a single trouble.. i think cars can think, if you love them enough, they will protect you and keep you safe always...

So thats about it.. Thank you all my AL friends for your support, and thanks to the friends who kept up the whole journey with me, and finally the big thank to my Lucky lady Lancer..

Cheers & Happy 2012 for All...!!!

• Like 4

TRINITY,

Happy to hear your experience on that trip.

Cannot forget Miniace because he gave the best link to find out any destination. Must thank him for posting same to A/L Forum.

Best wishes for the coming new year.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i think cars can think, if you love them enough, they will protect you and keep you safe always...

i know this sounds weird but yeah...100% agree :)

good trip report too mate! most of these off the beaten track places have excellent food joints and prices tend to be shockingly cheap!

Once during one our bike trips we had an awesome breakfast in Pottuvil...best breaky i've had to date

most of these off the beaten track places have excellent food joints and prices tend to be shockingly cheap!

Once during one our bike trips we had an awesome breakfast in Pottuvil...best breaky i've had to date

Yes bro,,, i dont know why, but we always find best food joints so far away from our reach...

you're most welcome, mate. when i worked back there the only thing i looked forward to was the drive to and from! once i passed an RX8 and a 350Z going at it in the habarana jungles. that was a sight. back when the carpet was still hot and wet, with no markings even. that was a proper racetrack!

you're spot-on about cars that have feelings: my civic never once had an issue while i did a good 30K clicks in it on these roads. and then i came home, and every time my GF asked to borrow the car for some errand... it would have an issue. thanks to her requests, i've replaced almost everything on that car! that was one jealous little bitch of a honda.

the cops once stopped me for doing 100 in a 70 zone. a few hundred meteres later, stopped again and the cop shows the gun readout to my passenger saying "60". not knowing this was a 50 zone, my friends honest reaction was "ithin? moko??" lol... that was 2 seconds of awkward silence i'll cherish forever!

• Like 2