• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pedestrian Crossing Laws!

Ripper

Ok gents

Here's a run down!

Wasted half a day at courts today. case never came up cos coppers haven't forwarded it. Now it's been taken in this coming friday.

Thankfully the dingy little cafe had some nice food and cool beverages

I gave up all hope of fighting the copper. absolute waste of time in quite horrid conditions.

Courthouse is poorly ventilated. very poorly ventilated.

The few fans that are there are to serve the officials and about 100 people are packed to a 40ft by 40ft space.

After a while, the smell of sweat is unbearable.

The court fine is mere 1000 bucks for the kinda offense they plastered me on. You might as well accept guilty standing, pay the 1000 bucks an walk away considering the waste of time and hassle.

Or better yet, talk to the copper at the time of the incident and get a spot fine instead of the court thing even if you're not really at fault.

Edited by Ripper

Thats exactly what I told u..... but did u pay a lawyer ? Hate call those guys lawyers pretty demeaning to the profession.

Trying to argue the case at courts will not be worth it, best is just admit the charge and pay 1,000 bucks or something. Worst part is u waste a good half day sweating inside that dump...

Thats exactly what I told u..... but did u pay a lawyer ? Hate call those guys lawyers pretty demeaning to the profession.

i actually felt sorry for those "lawyers"

bottom of the barrel chaps just trying to make a living. I hired an elderly gentlemen and he wanted 1500 bucks.

since the case wasn't brought up today, i dont need to pay him again. Besides, you really dont need a lawyer for minor violations like this. Since its my first time i wanted to have that insurance.

Just get up there and say "guilty" when that chap asks you guilty or not guilty. You spend like 10 seconds in the stand

afterwards you gotta sit in that enclosed area with other chaps until your case file comes into the counters (takes about an hour or two). Once the file comes they call your name and you gotta pay and you're a free man again. But you have to wait till 1.30pm or something to pick up the license from the coppers though.

And yeah...typical sri lankan fashion, court proceedings dont start on time.

All in all...i hope that copper who booked me for no proper reason gets run over by a truck! Thanks to him, i have to waste two days at courts accepting guilt for an offense i didn't do!

On a side note...most drunk driving guys were getting 3 to 6 months cancellation of license and about 6 grand in fines. So even after a couple of shots on a friday, cabbing home is the best bet!

Ok gents

Here's a run down!

Wasted half a day at courts today. case never came up cos coppers haven't forwarded it. Now it's been taken in this coming friday.

damn so you are not out of the woods yet. You'll have to waste another day in that hell hole thanks to the dumb coppers? Its their mistake cant we do anything about that?

Edited by Reckless

you really dont need a lawyer for minor violations like this. Since its my first time i wanted to have that insurance.

Just get up there and say "guilty" when that chap asks you guilty or not guilty. You spend like 10 seconds in the stand

Machan you sure you don't need a lawyer? i thought you cannot represent yourself, a friend of mine had to go to courts to pay a fine. Went alone & got locked up.. Someone else had to go bail him out :) What I have heard is it that when it does happen (part of the punishment), someone needs to bail you out. And like the lawyers, there are many 'willing citizens' to help. Problem is that some of them take the cash & do a David Blaine :)

On a side note...most drunk driving guys were getting 3 to 6 months cancellation of license and about 6 grand in fines. So even after a couple of shots on a friday, cabbing home is the best bet!

You need to be represented by a lawyer, though the guy hardly says anything I too think that's how it works.

Read a story of a 60 year old drunk lady !! in a Merc had knocked down 2 guys on the road Friday night.....

Mate, don't trust about Friday ....Same thing thing can be repeated on Friday. Check with Police again that can you do something with them. Also check the options with a lawyer.

My uncle also faced same kind of situation and it postponed twice and now waiting for mid of March.

Now I have changed my ideas. Whenever I can get settled with Traffic Police what ever way, I will do that.

Because I don't have time, money and energy to waste.

Minor traffic offence is not a murder case. Why so much postponing at courts? So sad about this situation in our country.

You need to be represented by a lawyer, though the guy hardly says anything I too think that's how it works. Read a story of a 60 year old drunk lady !! in a Merc had knocked down 2 guys on the road Friday night.....

Damn, just saw this.. otherwise could have told you don't really need a lawyer, it's a 1000-1500 extra expense for no reason. cos they don't really reduce ur fine at all. You need a friend who can pay the fine on ur behalf while u sit in the cooler for a bit. For minor offences it's not worth crap to get a lawyer who will prattle off a few words under their breath when ur case is called which the judge doesn't give heed to at all.

Be prepared on Friday (depending on which court this is) to 'pay' the cop at the register to release your license once all is said and done. I had experience of this cos I had no clue where my license 'overleaf' was (or I had never seen it since year dot) so the bugger wouldn't release the license without me getting the 'overleaf' - which I had to apply for newly from RMV (big process) 500 bucks settled this...

damn so you are not out of the woods yet. You'll have to waste another day in that hell hole thanks to the dumb coppers? Its their mistake cant we do anything about that?

well the processes are such, you really can't do much. and not worth the hassle in any case

Machan you sure you don't need a lawyer? i thought you cannot represent yourself, a friend of mine had to go to courts to pay a fine. Went alone & got locked up.. Someone else had to go bail him out :) What I have heard is it that when it does happen (part of the punishment), someone needs to bail you out. And like the lawyers, there are many 'willing citizens' to help. Problem is that some of them take the cash & do a David Blaine :)

Well i did see loads of people sorting themselves out alone for the same offense. you just go up and say guilty. that announcing chaps says 1000bucks in fines. they send you to that holding area until your case file come. Once that's in you can pay yourself and get out of the court room

To collect the license you gotta wait till 1.30 or so. No idea how that works cos i left before that.

You only need a lawyer for stronger offenses where either another party or the cops are testifying against you. I already paid for a lawyer but since i didn't need his services the first day, he said he wont charge me again. But after watching proceedings for half a day, i can safely say you don't need a lawyer for this type of thing.

And there are signs in the courts saying on the offender can be present at the courtroom and they themselves can pay any fines. Unless of course you didn't carry the cash on you.

Mate, don't trust about Friday ....Same thing thing can be repeated on Friday. Check with Police again that can you do something with them. Also check the options with a lawyer.

My uncle also faced same kind of situation and it postponed twice and now waiting for mid of March.

Now I have changed my ideas. Whenever I can get settled with Traffic Police what ever way, I will do that.

Because I don't have time, money and energy to waste.

Minor traffic offence is not a murder case. Why so much postponing at courts? So sad about this situation in our country.

yep. went to the cop shed, spoke to the oic and made sure the case is on friday.

talking about the coppers...one chap pulled me over last night for a routine drunk driving test...and the man noticed that my rear numberplate lights were burnt out.

I did replace them about 2-3 weeks ago but bulbs do burn and it's not like something you really check.

And the cop wanted to give me a ticket :D Much to his disappointment i showed him the court doc :) and he lost out on a good 500 bucks :)

Damn, just saw this.. otherwise could have told you don't really need a lawyer, it's a 1000-1500 extra expense for no reason. cos they don't really reduce ur fine at all. You need a friend who can pay the fine on ur behalf while u sit in the cooler for a bit. For minor offences it's not worth crap to get a lawyer who will prattle off a few words under their breath when ur case is called which the judge doesn't give heed to at all.

Be prepared on Friday (depending on which court this is) to 'pay' the cop at the register to release your license once all is said and done. I had experience of this cos I had no clue where my license 'overleaf' was (or I had never seen it since year dot) so the bugger wouldn't release the license without me getting the 'overleaf' - which I had to apply for newly from RMV (big process) 500 bucks settled this...

Thanks for the overleaf thing. i have lost it long years back. So will be ready if that comes my way...

• 10 years later...