• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pedestrian Crossing Laws!

Ripper

30887367.jpg[/url]

Just to share something that happened to me yesterday in Colombo. Will withhold location and the cop shed :P

I was flagged down by a cop for not stopping to give way to a pedestrian.

Have attached a quick sketch i did of how everything was placed as this happened. The pedestrian was trying to cross the road a good 10-15ft away from the wide yellow lines. She was however within the confines of the zebra line.

I was on the right lane 2nd lane on a 4 lane stretch approaching a roundabout. Was doing about 40-50kmh at the time and the distance was too short for me to make a rapid stop without making a scene. My tyres give out a loud screech on rapid deceleration and that tend to scare the crap out of many people.

Also i did not expect her to attempt to cross the road there cos the actual crossing line was just 10ft away.

To make a long story short...when i was pulled over, i argued with the police officer cos afaik you only have to stop if somebody is actually on the pedestrian crossing itself and not around the periphery.

The cop seemed like a decent chap but he was counter arguing saying that the pedestrian did use the proper lines.

It was simply my word against his and he happened to be wearing a uniform.

So i had to handover my license and get a cool little piece of paper informing that i have to be present at courts next week!

From what i know..the zebra line is to indicate it's a danger zone and you should be careful and most importantly not overtake within that distance. The wide yellow bars are for people to cross and the moment somebody gets there, you should stop and give way.

So the question is... Has the laws changed or have i been misinformed? Pedestrians can cross anywhere within the zebra lines and you gotta stop no matter what?

Or is it our cops turning the screws tight after all these accidents?

In any case, people should be informed that cops can and will take you to courts for this kinda scene.

Edited by Ripper
  • Like 1

Ya it is crap. Maybe the cop would have tried to use the same principal of parking near a crossing, i.e. no parking within 15mtrs of the zig zag area, therefore the entire area should be considered as a crossing? The traffic laws work out in funny ways in this place we call home. For example if you hit a pedestrian regardless of them being on a crossing or not, its your fault. So your damned either way.

Members,

Until a pedestrian gets on to the main road by keeping a lag (keeps his or hers) pedestrians intention is to cross the road as long as the pedestrian keeps the leg on to the road you have to stop your car allow the pedestrian cross the road safely.

According to my knowledge most srilankan jay walkers walk on the road.

Did she try to cross by stepping to road as your diagram says she was on the pavement. Did she cross the road after you stopping the vehicle.

Police can turn and twist the law as they wish. For you to pay the fine.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

This happened to one of my office colleague the other day as he was walking on his way to office, there was this cop who stopped the traffic to people to cross the road and my friend has crossed the road from the zebra line section, so this cop has asked my friend to stop and given him a warning saying Zebra lines aren’t for crossing and he can issue a fine for not using the yellow crossing… I think that cop has mislead you, Zebra lines aren’t for crossing...

This happened to one of my office colleague the other day as he was walking on his way to office, there was this cop who stopped the traffic to people to cross the road and my friend has crossed the road from the zebra line section, so this cop has asked my friend to stop and given him a warning saying Zebra lines aren’t for crossing and he can issue a fine for not using the yellow crossing… I think that cop has mislead you, Zebra lines aren’t for crossing...

yeah...i knew this and that's why i didn't even try to put a shape with him.

the moment he came to my door and told me about this i blasted the chap.

But he insists she crossed on the yellow line when truth was far from it. What are we to do in these cases?

I've been given a ticket for jumping a red when i actually didn't. Cop gave me a ticket and told me to go and say that to the judge.

I have no problem owning up to my mistakes when they do happen but it sucks when you have to own up to stuff you didn't do.

And in this instance had i tried to talk to him i might have been able to either get away after a short lecture or get a fine instead of the court appearance.

But now....after arguing with him, i have little to no chance but to appear in court.

I would love to fight this injustice but im sure it will be of no use.

It's the cop's word against mine and i'd doubt a judge would rule in favor of my side of the story since there are no other witnesses or evidence collaborate what i say.

Really thinking of getting one of those video camera things like they have on US cop cars :(

yeah...i knew this and that's why i didn't even try to put a shape with him.

the moment he came to my door and told me about this i blasted the chap.

But he insists she crossed on the yellow line when truth was far from it. What are we to do in these cases?

I've been given a ticket for jumping a red when i actually didn't. Cop gave me a ticket and told me to go and say that to the judge.

I have no problem owning up to my mistakes when they do happen but it sucks when you have to own up to stuff you didn't do.

And in this instance had i tried to talk to him i might have been able to either get away after a short lecture or get a fine instead of the court appearance.

But now....after arguing with him, i have little to no chance but to appear in court.

I would love to fight this injustice but im sure it will be of no use.

It's the cop's word against mine and i'd doubt a judge would rule in favor of my side of the story since there are no other witnesses or evidence collaborate what i say.

Really thinking of getting one of those video camera things like they have on US cop cars :(

Machan just keep a voice recorder in your car. That's what I do. When ever I get pulled over I just pull it out and start recording before saying a single word. Usually they ask what I'm doing so I tell them I'm recording the whole conversation for my safety. It scares them away most of the time.

Members,

Until a pedestrian gets on to the main road by keeping a lag (keeps his or hers) pedestrians intention is to cross the road as long as the pedestrian keeps the leg on to the road you have to stop your car allow the pedestrian cross the road safely.

According to my knowledge most srilankan jay walkers walk on the road.

Did she try to cross by stepping to road as your diagram says she was on the pavement. Did she cross the road after you stopping the vehicle.

Police can turn and twist the law as they wish. For you to pay the fine.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

This is called in Sinhala

"Weddata goraka dada mas karannath puluwan , dada mas goraka karannath puluwan"

Some Police cops are experts in this.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Machan just keep a voice recorder in your car. That's what I do. When ever I get pulled over I just pull it out and start recording before saying a single word. Usually they ask what I'm doing so I tell them I'm recording the whole conversation for my safety. It scares them away most of the time.

i think i'm gonna get one of those forward shooting windshield mounted vid cameras machang!

saw one on ebay for like $29 including shipping.

shoots audio/video, 32gig memory capacity, IR night vision, 120 degree viewing area... seems like a good deal and a worthwhile investment considering what happens on our roads.

• Like 1

guys this has become a Common scene now , even i was stopped for the same and me and My wife Both said we didnt se a Pedestrian crossing the Road.

managed to get away arguing ,

yes and some copps are experts

even today a j***a$$ crossed the road without even looking from a Zebra crossing , had to stand on brakes to give him room , a cop was nicely watching the whole incident.

this shit should stop god only knows how

Nice diagram.... where's the chivalry machang ? had u stopped u would have got a nice smile and a wave from that girl, now see what has happened ? :)

Trying to argue the case at courts will not be worth it, best is just admit the charge and pay 1,000 bucks or something. Worst part is u waste a good half day sweating inside that dump...

Nice diagram.... where's the chivalry machang ? had u stopped u would have got a nice smile and a wave from that girl, now see what has happened ? :)

Trying to argue the case at courts will not be worth it, best is just admit the charge and pay 1,000 bucks or something. Worst part is u waste a good half day sweating inside that dump...

i think i'm gonna get one of those forward shooting windshield mounted vid cameras machang!

shoots audio/video, 32gig memory capacity, IR night vision, 120 degree viewing area... seems like a good deal and a worthwhile investment considering what happens on our roads.

My boss has one of those. But it'll be limited utility, unless you either stay in the car and swivel the video cam, or converse in front of the car where the video will see you. Tho even money the audio won't pick you up then. In my boss's case, it was a van, so windshield mount means right there.

Tho it might have been handy to show the cops where the pedestrian was, that should be within its capability.

I would have stopped had she crossed on the actual crossing. Also i wasn't sure that she was gonna cross there cos the bloody crossing was just 10ft away and even with a cop being there, she took the chance of not using it. And not surprisingly the cop let the lady go and i got booked!

Generally, i do give way to pedestrians, people trying to get on to the road or waiting to turn etc.

that's why i was so pissed off when the cop booked me for this.

I see hundreds if idiots eachday driving thousand times worse than the way i drive. And our cops just watch the whole show without doing jack.

anways...what to do...shit happens!

Tho it might have been handy to show the cops where the pedestrian was, that should be within its capability.

this is all i want machang! If the cam can see what i can see through the windscreen, that's good enough for me.

Actually thats not a bad idea at all, if you can get it to start recording when the car starts and stop when the car stops it wouldn't be much of a hassle anyway. The only problem would be that you would have to delete old footage from time to time which can be a bit of a hassle i guess :(

Saw one on ebay that arms when the car is started, starts recording in D and R. Obviously you'll need to do a little wiring.

'terrabytetango',

This what I wanted to suggest to have another sided on the same equipment camera & audio to cover inside and cover whoever talk to you on a window.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

dear you have to pay the fine as here any person crossing eitherside of that yellow lines (15m both sides) includes the crossing and we should stop the vehicle this happened to me sometime ago and Paliyagoda City traffic guy explained the rules

so better to pay.

BULLSHIT

Quote from police.lk:

Question : 17.

What is the pedestrian crossing Law?

Answer:

• The pedestrian should concentrate on vehicles approaching in the front
  • The pedestrian should cross the road from one side to the other immediately
  • If the pedestrian crossing is manned by a Policeman, the pedestrian should adhere to the orders of the Policeman on duty.
  • When the vehicular movement is controlled by signal lights pedestrian should cross the road at the pedestrian crossing
  • The pedestrian should cross the road at the pedestrian crossing without causing hindrance to any vehicles stopped at the crossing or causing obstructions to other users

• The pedestrian should not cross the road within fifty meters on either side of the pedestrian crossing.
  • If traffic signal lights are operating, a pedestrian should not cross the road (when the red man is indicated ) When green man indicates the pedestrian should cross the road immediately
  • It is safer for the users to cross the road at the pedestrian crossing when the signal light indicates red, to stop the traffic movement.

@ripper: The cop should have booked the pedestrian not you. I think you got a case there

• Like 2