• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery Issue

trinity

Hi Friends

Short story,

I bought a battery for my car. And today when trying to install it, my friend told me that the terminals of the new battery is small in size. He said that he'll change the connectors accordingly & finish the job. I wanna know whether it is ok?? I mean originally it came in the bigger size for a reason rite?? Please shed some light on this...

Many thanks

hold on hold on!!!

In case you didnt know, the + terminal is larger the - terminal. And you get batteries which have the + on the left as well as some with the + on the right. So dont le tyour friend mess with it yet... See if your old battery was a +/- or a -/+.. And generally all batteries come with a standardized size for terminals for obvious reasons..

Your friend might have tried to connect the + lead to the - of the battery :P

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

hold on hold on!!!

In case you didnt know, the + terminal is larger the - terminal. And you get batteries which have the + on the left as well as some with the + on the right. So dont le tyour friend mess with it yet... See if your old battery was a +/- or a -/+.. And generally all batteries come with a standardized size for terminals for obvious reasons..

Your friend might have tried to connect the + lead to the - of the battery :P

Hi Watchman

Thanks for the reply machan..

My old battery & the new battery is having its poles like in the attached pic. I confirmed it with the battery shop owner before buying it. I couldnt take my car there at the time of buying the battery.

One of my friends at the office told me that some batteries come with Slim poles and this is not something to worry about as voltage & amperage matches to the old battery.

Whats your opinion on this mate??

Edited by trinity

Okey Dokey. Two main types of terminals/posts found on car batteries.

1) Traditional, UK type. Common. On these positive post is 19.5mm at the base of the post. The negative is 17.5mm.

2) Japanese "slim/narrow" type. 14. something mm for the positive post and 13.something mm for the negative.

As Watchman says, make sure you are connecting the + lead to the + treminal/post. Also, make sure the battery is dropped into the tray the "correct" way round

HI Bros...

Actually car is immobile,,,, anyway, my new battery is having "podi kanu terminals" as MD says, but the car is originally supporting "loku kanu terminals", Now the car is running with this "podi kanu terminal" battery.. (My friend has changed the conectors to fit in to podi kanu terminals..).... Will this be any issue????

And MD... I think i know you.... do u happen to have a cousin sis named Anuradha????

HI Bros...

Actually car is immobile,,,, anyway, my new battery is having "podi kanu terminals" as MD says, but the car is originally supporting "loku kanu terminals", Now the car is running with this "podi kanu terminal" battery.. (My friend has changed the conectors to fit in to podi kanu terminals..).... Will this be any issue????

And MD... I think i know you.... do u happen to have a cousin sis named Anuradha????

As long as the voltage and the amperage is correct there should be no issues.

And yes,that is my cousin sister.How do you know her? Let me know by PM. :)

'trinity'

You have nothing to warry just go to any Motor spares shop buy small terminals for the new battery, they come with two bolts to fix the battery wire. If not you have to get that soldered to the terminals them there is no problem can run the car without any problem.

Other alternative is fix a small lead sleeve to the same small terminal to fill the gap fix large terminals you nave. Where do you live. you contact me on 2573690/0712222420 I will advice you.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Very good morning to you all,,

Thank you very much for your comments & support... finally did changed the connectors to smaller ones and Car is up & running... your valuable input cleared the doubts i had on this issue...

Cheers All.. :)

p.s. MD check your inbox.. :)