• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Exhaust Leak

rameez

Question

Hi all,

I had a small hissing sound in my exhaust and since it was not a big issue i did not bother to look into it in a hurry given the age of my car. A friend of mine told me that fuel consumption increases if there is an exhaust leak. Is this true? anyone knows the truth about it.

But after some time the engine sound became more and the exhaust leak was not ignorable, so i visited a place.near the pamankada check point near saranankara road dehiwela and showed it, and they confirmed that there is an exhaust leak.They however quoted a price of 5500 for the job. Is this reasonable?, infact they said that it is an easy job and can be done in about 45 mins. The barells were corroded and that needs to be replaced.

Any other place i should check before going ahead with the job

rameez

15 answers to this question

There is a place near the Asiri hospital(old hospital @ narahenpita).

Have got a few jobs done from them, seems to be reasonable.

But as per my experience ,silencer buggers charge you more that you expect :)

There is a place near the Asiri hospital(old hospital @ narahenpita).

Have got a few jobs done from them, seems to be reasonable.

But as per my experience ,silencer buggers charge you more that you expect :)

where is this place exactly....can you tell me please

Hi all,

I had a small hissing sound in my exhaust and since it was not a big issue i did not bother to look into it in a hurry given the age of my car. A friend of mine told me that fuel consumption increases if there is an exhaust leak. Is this true? anyone knows the truth about it.

But after some time the engine sound became more and the exhaust leak was not ignorable, so i visited a place.near the pamankada check point near saranankara road dehiwela and showed it, and they confirmed that there is an exhaust leak.They however quoted a price of 5500 for the job. Is this reasonable?, infact they said that it is an easy job and can be done in about 45 mins. The barells were corroded and that needs to be replaced.

rameez

What exactly you did ? Rs. 5500 to repair leak ?

I have done fully repaid my exhaust from start to end with two mufflers (GEDI) for 7500.

I have done fully repaid my exhaust from start to end with two mufflers (GEDI) for 7500.

i did not say i did it....just got the amount :sport-smiley-004: anyway i also think it is a bit too much

Where did you get it done at 7500? I also need to replace my entire exhaust (corroded).

Hi all,

rameez

There are 2 places at the pamankada junction.. I used to go to the one further from the bridge (the one on the left when facing the 2 shops).. workmanship is bad and i mean BAD. I once went there to replace the Cat Converter of my car with a straight trough pipe after it was converted to diesel. Guy cut the tubing too short and the pipe was sitting stretched to the limit at the flexible joint, hence if the car silencer moved a bit, the exhaust would leak.. he tried giving me his 'expertise' on silences saying thats how its supposed to be but i had to insist that he set it correct.. i got him to set the joint properly and he filled the blank area with just welding metal. Not ideal but i was too irritated to stay and redo it.

Another time (on another car) went to him to replace some loose bushes and correct a slight sag due to the bushes missing...the job wasnt very good and at idle the piping banged against the body... i went to our areas service station put the car on the washing ramp and re-adjusted it myself...

Also you cant leave your car and go off.. he'll take on all other walk-in customers and not attend to yours.. did that to my dad once...

The only good thing was that his pricing was not 'bad'... then again looks like good service no cheap, cheap service no good...

I picked the one to the left of the one you went to, and they did a decent job on my car. The piping was corroded badly, so they replaced it with a stainless steel 2" piping. The muffler was fine. This was for about 6' of piping. Job was perfect. Cost was 3200.

And the fuel consumption went up from 3kmpl to 5kmpl city

Edited by Komisiripala

'rameez',

If you hope to keep the vehicle for some time it is better to change to stainless steal (SS)complete scilencer.

One Nissan van I had changed with the scilencer barrol made by our chaps it did not last 1 one year because the thin gauge of iron metal. Later I got all SS Iincluding the pipes metearls gave to a tnker got it made and used more than 5 years untill I sold that vehicle wit out any problem..

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

There are 2 places at the pamankada junction.. I used to go to the one further from the bridge (the one on the left when facing the 2 shops).. workmanship is bad and i mean BAD. I once went there to replace the Cat Converter of my car with a straight trough pipe after it was converted to diesel. Guy cut the tubing too short and the pipe was sitting stretched to the limit at the flexible joint, hence if the car silencer moved a bit, the exhaust would leak.. he tried giving me his 'expertise' on silences saying thats how its supposed to be but i had to insist that he set it correct.. i got him to set the joint properly and he filled the blank area with just welding metal. Not ideal but i was too irritated to stay and redo it.

Another time (on another car) went to him to replace some loose bushes and correct a slight sag due to the bushes missing...the job wasnt very good and at idle the piping banged against the body... i went to our areas service station put the car on the washing ramp and re-adjusted it myself...

Also you cant leave your car and go off.. he'll take on all other walk-in customers and not attend to yours.. did that to my dad once...

The only good thing was that his pricing was not 'bad'... then again looks like good service no cheap, cheap service no good...

watchman,

well i finally went to the place near asiri and got the job done and the car is smooth now. Th guy was ok and genuine in my opinion , he gave me many options and i spent 5k for the whole mufffler and piping.job done.so far no issues.

'rameez',

If you hope to keep the vehicle for some time it is better to change to stainless steal (SS)complete scilencer.

One Nissan van I had changed with the scilencer barrol made by our chaps it did not last 1 one year because the thin gauge of iron metal. Later I got all SS Iincluding the pipes metearls gave to a tnker got it made and used more than 5 years untill I sold that vehicle wit out any problem..

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

sylvi how did you make the 3 compartments inside the silencer.........was that done by the tinker as well, i think that part is imported by the seller

'rameez',

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Was this van a diesel or a petrol?

RameeZ,

I got it done with pipe was 1 1/2 inch, the center silencing barol was 6 Inch round pipe two ends was closed after insurting the pipes to both en

Reactive/Chambered

reactive.png

Acoustic barriers within the silencer are used to reflect noise energy back to the source to attenuate low frequency noise. Perforated or slotted baffle tubes connect each chamber for effective broad-band, low-frequency performance. Acoustic performance is a function of overall volume and the configuration of the silencer internals.

The vehicle was 1200 cc Petrol I bought in Japan in 1996 with shipping it cost me JY 350,000 duty was 125,000. Entire cost was under Rupees 275,000.00

LOLC gave me full lease to be sttled in 3 years.

Sylvi Wijesinghe,

The vehicle was 1200 cc Petrol I bought in Japan in 1996 with shipping it cost me JY 350,000 duty was 125,000. Entire cost was under Rupees 275,000.00

LOLC gave me full lease to be sttled in 3 years.

Sylvi Wijesinghe,

Ah that explains it... :)

I was a bit confused, cos normally you wouldn't need to replace the silencer on a diesel vehicle so often...