• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Whats A Good Classic To Restore?

malla

You shouldn't be asking people what you should restore. It should ideally be a car you have a special connection to. The pain and time you spend restoring a vehicle and then maintaining it is considerable. So if you go decide on a car based on crowd mentality and not your own, it is not a project that would go the distance. Unless of-course you looking in to restoring for resale

• Like 4

I agree with Rangerover, plus it also depends on what you find. But if this is the first time you are restoring something, start with something simple, something for which is a bit common so you get the basics sorted out before attempting a more ambitious project. The basics are things like a good mechanic, good body work person, contacts to source parts, sources of information and research and the experience of having done it once so you know what to expect next time.

Hey guys,

I am just wondering what’s a good classic to restore? No beetles or Mini's as they are everywhere.

something that will stand out? A 2 seater or a convertable

any ideas?

You sound like you are 'wannabe'. No one who loves cars asks that question from others. People have an idea of what car they want to restore eventually. They don't go around asking others. That's a bit retarded.

Its like asking a public forum what kind of woman you should marry.

• Like 3

Porsche 356 Speedster if you can ever find one, even still have the money to buy it and restore it.

If not take a VW beetle and make it into a Porsche 356 Speedster, cos its based on the Beetle, so wouldn't be a huge problem. I really want to do this project but don't have the time.

You sound like you are 'wannabe'. No one who loves cars asks that question from others. People have an idea of what car they want to restore eventually. They don't go around asking others. That's a bit retarded.

Its like asking a public forum what kind of woman you should marry.

I guess MD's build thread has sparked off a fair bit of interest on classics.

What many folks might not know is that doing a classic up isn't something for everybody. I know of quite a few people who had to give up cos the commitment required for such a thing both in terms of time and finances is almost always a lot more than one expects.

Porsche 356 Speedster if you can ever find one, even still have the money to buy it and restore it.

If not take a VW beetle and make it into a Porsche 356 Speedster, cos its based on the Beetle, so wouldn't be a huge problem. I really want to do this project but don't have the time.

there is not originality in that isn't it? it's more like a kit car in that sense.

Also trying to find all the additional parts aint gonna be that easy to since almost everything will have be flown in here.

On a sidenote...the BOI approved brit dude who makes cobra kit cars is a good option if you want a performance "classic" with new mechanicals.

Also he seem to be doing a bloody awesome job making those cars.

MiniAce had a thread a few years back on that guy

there is not originality in that isn't it? it's more like a kit car in that sense.

Also trying to find all the additional parts aint gonna be that easy to since almost everything will have be flown in here.

On a sidenote...the BOI approved brit dude who makes cobra kit cars is a good option if you want a performance "classic" with new mechanicals.

yeah its not ever going to be the original, and if there is one, I don't think I can afford as it sells for more than the new 911.

but hey, Paul Walker uses a Replica Porsche 356 in Takers, and that car looks awesome!

The Porsche 356 does come as a kit car; I remember watching something on discovery turbo about this. There are companies that manufacture all body panels, bits of trim etc etc for this. So technically if you buy all those parts for a couple of hundred thousand bucks and a actual VW beetle rotting in some garage, its completely do-able.

What about a little Austin A30 or A35. Cute. Small enough to be thought a 2-seater! Little bit different. Easy mechanicals, all A-series and standard British hydraulics (you'd enjoy the single cylinder set-up operating both rear brakes, I tell you!) and (God help us) electricals. So, means heaps of interchangeability of parts and plenty of tune-up advice and gear if you wanted to make it a little rip-snorter. And then, the body, pretty thick sheet metal, usual rust around the headlights, spring hangers and around the bottom of the vehicles, but all fixable without breaking your heart. Not a bad little car for a first project and likely pretty saleable when you get tired of it and want the Porsche.

(By the way, did you see that Ferdinand Porsche, the 911 guy, died a few days back?)

There were pickups and little vans in the A series but don't know if any on the Island. Did see a lovely little grey A30/A35 saloon in Colombo a while back.....gave the guy a wave and he gave me a happy one back.

And there's more....being a small car, the A30/35 will require less preparation and painting time (not less standards!)and paint than a large vehicle. Means lower costs for the rebuilder and frees up cash for other nice things for the car!

I think I'm convincing me that one of these should be my next project :-)

thanks guys for all the good suggestions.

I was actually looking to get a Corbra Kit car but couldnt find the contact details... has anyone got a number?

coming back to personally restoring, I have the mechanics and a place to do everything... all comes down to finding the right car...

i would love to get a MG but im not sure if any are out there

thanks guys for all the good suggestions.

I was actually looking to get a Corbra Kit car but couldnt find the contact details... has anyone got a number?

coming back to personally restoring, I have the mechanics and a place to do everything... all comes down to finding the right car...

i would love to get a MG but im not sure if any are out there

a real car enthusiast would normally have the passion and would be looking for resources to make it possible.. But you have the resources, but are shouting out loud trying to find the passion.. hik hik hik... like a little kid who sees a chocolate in the store a restoration thread on AL and wants to get one...

• Like 2

I know the brit personally did some work with him a while back super guy & he knows his stuff.....The AC cobra is a superb car for someone who has some extra money to spare on a sunday car....Its just amazing

The latest Cobra which he did was for a company director in Sri Lanka. Which was on a very high budget. They had got everything brand new for it. From seatbelts to engine everything was brought brand new for that car & it was a beauty. He also has cheaper packages for the same car with used parts. It all depends on how much the customer is willing to spend on the car

The latest Cobra which he did was for a company director in Sri Lanka. Which was on a very high budget. They had got everything brand new for it. From seatbelts to engine everything was brought brand new for that car & it was a beauty. He also has cheaper packages for the same car with used parts. It all depends on how much the customer is willing to spend on the car

MAchan CP out of curiosity what are the costs like? I don't mean one with all brand new bits like you've mentioned above but for something with a well tuned V8 and a sorted chassis?

MAchan CP out of curiosity what are the costs like? I don't mean one with all brand new bits like you've mentioned above but for something with a well tuned V8 and a sorted chassis?

sometime ago...i heard it was 2mil and up... no idea of specs or even if that still is the case

sometime ago...i heard it was 2mil and up... no idea of specs or even if that still is the case

Now the cost has gone up to 3.5mill+ & it depends on what parts u use. I think so far there's two of them running in SL....a Brown & a Red

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with the others,the OP is going about this all wrong,Name a particular car you like and the members will advice you on it.And another thing,don't confuse genuine classics with replicas and kit cars.They are worlds apart when it comes to price,ownership experience and driving pleasure,

Now the cost has gone up to 3.5mill+ & it depends on what parts u use. I think so far there's two of them running in SL....a Brown & a Red

Yup that is pretty close to what my dad was quoted.and that's with us supplying the engine and gearbox ........but as far as replicas go that is a well made car and the sudda fellow knows what he is doing.specially when considering the genuine AC Cobra goes for around half a mil USDs these days.

from what i heard, they run jaguar motors. V8's but you can opt for a V12 too

http://blacklightarr...ac-cobra-mk-ii/

The red one Chootiya mentioned has the LS1 series V8 from a corvette.

• Like 1