• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Changing Stock Rims To Alloys

monty

Question

Hi Guys,

I replaced my car's Stock Rims (15", 6") to Brand New Alloys (15", 6.5"). I'm running 185/65/15 stock tires. Car is a 2010 Allion NZT260.

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to do a Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balance after changing to alloys? The alloy shop guy told me there's no need as the alloys are Brand New. Just need to verify this.

2) Will the slight change in width (6" >> 6.5") affect the speedometer readings?

Thanks,

Monty

14 answers to this question

for the first question, Yes, its better to do a wheel alignment and balancing.. no matter the rims are new or old its a must..

everytime i change my stocks to alloys. i always do these alingment and balancing and each time there was a difference and adjustments had to be made

for the second question, its out of my knowledge.. sorry.. hope another member would answer

Hi Guys,

I replaced my car's Stock Rims (15", 6") to Brand New Alloys (15", 6.5"). I'm running 185/65/15 stock tires. Car is a 2010 Allion NZT260.

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to do a Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balance after changing to alloys? The alloy shop guy told me there's no need as the alloys are Brand New. Just need to verify this.

2) Will the slight change in width (6" >> 6.5") affect the speedometer readings?

Thanks,

Monty

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/choose.html

It depends on how you size your tires. Normally to do a proper +1 or +2 conversion as it is called you would want to reduce the aspect ratio of the new tires so that you wind up with the same rolling diameter.(For example a 225/60-16 has the same rolling diameter as a 245/50-17) If you don't lower the aspect ratio several unwanted things happen; your speedometer will read low, you'll lose torque and acceleration, and your ride height will be increased. If you correctly reduce the aspect ratio to match your original diameter you'll generally have a bit harsher ride due to the shorter sidewalls but you should have noticeably better handling

Googling and finding out something and copy pasting on the forum.... anyone can do.

http://uk.answers.ya...06131303AALJzO4

Next time, at least try to find the answer for the correct question. Thank you!

Edit:

As for the question, I agree with Schiffer and the rest who said that balancing and an alignment is necessary.

For the second question, I think the Allion has a speed sensor and not a drive cable connected to the speed o meter. So this should not affect your speed o meter reading. Experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Davy

So you googled it too...

Yes, I Googled (a piece of text from your post) because I was positive that there was no way you could have come up with that answer all on your own. At least have the honesty to paste the Yahoo Answers link instead of quoting other people's posts as if they were your own.

I have no intention of taking this thread OT, so I won't speak again. You're a fraud, that's all.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

Whoa..!! Dumb bag is owned..!! Stay away from these technical discussions dumb a$$..

I believe even speed sensors (VSS) are effected by change of tire size. somebody correct me if im wrong. But OP should be all right since it`s only the width that`s changed.

• Like 2

Whoa..!! Dumb bag is owned..!! Stay away from these technical discussions dumb a$$..

I believe even speed sensors (VSS) are effected by change of tire size. somebody correct me if im wrong. But OP should be all right since it`s only the width that`s changed.

Yeah, I think VSS is affected by the change of tire size, afaik the VSS is connected to somewhere in the transmission. So it's connected to the wheels in a way. If you consider the theory of circular motion the bigger tire travels more than what the VSS and the speedometer is calibrated for. have I got it wrong ? :)

1) Yes

2) if you have an android or apple based phone try downloading one of those GPS apps which shows ur speed as well and then just compare what your speedo is reading to the app...never tried this just read it on another forum where a bunch of guys were using apps to track the altitude and speed