• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius Or Honda Insight

maxi 2

To be exact, the question is what can we gain other than economy from Insight or Prius. I think there is no point arguing about the non hybrids and hybrids since their purpose is different. (Except for hybrids developed to gain more performance like Fisker Karma)

Machan there is a reason why the Prius is the #1 selling hybrid in the world. It is a more advanced vehicle with an excellent reliability record. They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery and if you look at the insight you can see they have borrowed some cues from the Prius. It is also more proven technology as Toyota have been making Hybrids for quite a long time.

• Like 2

To be exact, the question is what can we gain other than economy from Insight or Prius. I think there is no point arguing about the non hybrids and hybrids since their purpose is different. (Except for hybrids developed to gain more performance like Fisker Karma)

Don't forget lower emissions as another benefit.

Hybrids like the Prius, Insight, Civic and Fit hybrids might be tuned for max kmpl's, but the hybrids from Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Nissan, Fisker etc use the hybrid drivetrain to produce extra power as well as excellent fuel economy for the ammount of power the engine is producing. The tagline for many of these performance hybrids is "The power of a V8 with the fuel economy of a 4 cylinder ". Case in point: The new Lexus GS Hybrid has a 331hp hybrid V6 that gets 13+kmpl.

Just for the record... People on this thread claiming the Insight is "Truly Honda fun to drive" with "amazing performance that can keep up with any car on the road" are talking completely out of their asses.

The insight is just as boring to drive as the Pri-Ass is.

Hope you will pronounce it the proper way when doing the Prius review on TV.

Edited by rover

Just to give you an more plus points in Honda Insight:

1. It can be used as non-hybrid car as well. (by turning the eco mode off)

2. It has S gear which put to car to "Sport" mode which is real fun to drive. With the S mode, the car is having high rev, awesome pickup and pulling power which I haven't experience with any of the car I drove. and can compete any vehicle on the road. I just try S mode in trip to Kandy in hill roads and it was awesome to drive, very pickup, very easy to climb hills with load and AC. The fuel consumption is not bad at all with S mode. (around 15Km/L )

I would see this "S" gear is real benefit of having HOnda Insight over a Prius if you are considering about performance in some situations.

OMG. Do you know why do you need S gear in automatic. All automatic cars have S or L gear similar to 1 & 2nd

• 3 weeks later...

hi.

i have a toyota prius third generation AT package.. and i can tell you that this is a car that I would recommend anyone to buy. Before buying this i used to think hybrids were slow and sluggish and boring to drive. but after driving it for one year I found it to be much sportier than my previous modified corolla 121. The technology in the prius is simply amazing like the adaptive radar cruise control, the pre collision system, lane keep assist, and the suspension is really comfortable eventhough my Prius has 17" rims and stiffened coilover suspension therefore can take sharp bends at max speeds and the electronic power steering is very responsive and powerful. The performance is also not bad especially when the PWR mode is active and the acceleration is really good because of the motors ability to give max efficiency at all RPMs. even while going above 160kmph on the expressway its perfectly stable and fuel economy is at 20kmpl. in normal urban driving goes 20-25kmpl in agressive driving and 17-20kmpl in very heavy rush hour traffic. outstation works around 30kmpl with not too much agression but at moderate high speeds like 80s and 90s. the only problem is the ground clearance and other than that no problems.. even the services are cheaper than the 121. oil change every 10000km, no steering fluid, transmission oil every 80000 and coolant at 150000 and brake pads havent worn down even a bit after over 20000km (supposed to last for over 300000km) in the 121 had to change every 30000 or so. Insight is not a bad car. but i found it a bit uncomfortable and it doesnt have the build quality of toyota (gen 2 prius was not best toyota quality also). hope this helps anyone who wants to buy a hybrid. research before buying (I researched about hybrids for over 1 year before buying)... its a different kind of vehicle like switching from a manual to an automatic.. and dont believe rumors that it is dangerous and stuff. it wouldnt be a number one selling vehicle in the world if it was dangerous.

~PSP~

• Like 2

hi.

i have a toyota prius third generation AT package.. and i can tell you that this is a car that I would recommend anyone to buy. Before buying this i used to think hybrids were slow and sluggish and boring to drive. but after driving it for one year I found it to be much sportier than my previous modified corolla 121. The technology in the prius is simply amazing like the adaptive radar cruise control, the pre collision system, lane keep assist, and the suspension is really comfortable eventhough my Prius has 17" rims and stiffened coilover suspension therefore can take sharp bends at max speeds and the electronic power steering is very responsive and powerful. The performance is also not bad especially when the PWR mode is active and the acceleration is really good because of the motors ability to give max efficiency at all RPMs. even while going above 160kmph on the expressway its perfectly stable and fuel economy is at 20kmpl. in normal urban driving goes 20-25kmpl in agressive driving and 17-20kmpl in very heavy rush hour traffic. outstation works around 30kmpl with not too much agression but at moderate high speeds like 80s and 90s. the only problem is the ground clearance and other than that no problems.. even the services are cheaper than the 121. oil change every 10000km, no steering fluid, transmission oil every 80000 and coolant at 150000 and brake pads havent worn down even a bit after over 20000km (supposed to last for over 300000km) in the 121 had to change every 30000 or so. Insight is not a bad car. but i found it a bit uncomfortable and it doesnt have the build quality of toyota (gen 2 prius was not best toyota quality also). hope this helps anyone who wants to buy a hybrid. research before buying (I researched about hybrids for over 1 year before buying)... its a different kind of vehicle like switching from a manual to an automatic.. and dont believe rumors that it is dangerous and stuff. it wouldnt be a number one selling vehicle in the world if it was dangerous.

~PSP~

You are worse than californican. At least cali uses google to copy information from. You actually waste your time writing up this crap.

• Like 3

hi.

~PSP~

Thats some usefull information for a would be hybrid owner. Also do keep us posted about your experience on maintanence and any repairs that you might come come across in the coming years.

cheers

• Like 1

but after driving it for one year I found it to be much sportier than my previous modified corolla 121.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, sport, but Corolla 121s aren't all that difficult to beat in the sporty factor. But if you're up to it, we can find someone to test out these max speed cornering claims of yours. Also this pre-collision system. Should be able to find a nice wall or tree to aim it and see if that works.

hi.

~PSP~

Did it have a 2JZ or a 4AGE in it?

• 2 weeks later...

The Honda Insight, a subcompact hybrid hatchback launched for 2010, was to be Honda's answer to the Toyota Prius. It even looks like a Prius in profile.

But its mild-hybrid system doesn't return gas mileage nearly as good as that of the Prius, which has the additional advantage of being much larger (the EPA defines it as a mid-size car).

The 2012 Insight's combined EPA rating of 42 mpg is 1 mpg better than previous model years, and it has a few equipment upgrades.

But the Insight suffers from sitting on the same showroom floor as the conventional Honda Fit hatchback, which remains one of the most flexible and spacious subcompacts on the market.

The Fit carries a base price more than $3,000 cheaper than the Insight, and is rated at 31 mpg combined with a five-speed automatic.

That means buyers really have to want a hybrid to choose the Insight over the more capacious, less expensive Fit.

So far, relatively few have. The Insight is another hybrid that hasn't come close to its original sales goals.

Honda is sticking with the car, making incremental improvements to its features and model mix.

But the Prius remains larger inside and delivers better gas mileage--albeit at a higher base price--while the Fit is larger inside as well and considerably less expensive if you're comfortable with a subcompact hatchback.

That puts the Honda Insight between a rock and a hard place.

OMG. Do you know why do you need S gear in automatic. All automatic cars have S or L gear similar to 1 & 2nd

If you dont know what you are talking about i suggest you let the people who know discuss and you can take a good cup of STFU.

The S on an AT most of the time stand for "Second" but in this case it stands for "sports" which lets the engine rev higher than normal to get more power and torque at the high rpm range !

• 4 months later...

With the S mode, the car is having high rev, awesome pickup and pulling power which I haven't experience with any of the car I drove. and can compete any vehicle o

From what I know it does 1-100Km in like 15 Seconds definitively not a performance car... Edited by Junkfriend

The S position , as per my knowledge has a higher transmission ratio, as against the D position. Once, u put it on you will notice the rev counter easily passing the 2500 Mark on a 1.5 liter engine vs a normal 1500-1600 rpm rev position. The transmission changes at higher revs thus giving more pick up for the car, yet compromising the fuel efficiency. You can clearly see it in the instantatious fuel combustion indicator. I feel this was identical to the OD off position we had in older cars, but a tad more tangible.