• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Check Your Speaker Wiring With Correct + And - Terminals...

Tharindu1

Hi All,

Recently I have installed a JVC setup from the Gi*Ber* & Sons and I have noticed lack of bass from the system (clarion speakers). After the installation their opinion was to have a speaker box to get more bass. Anyway when I go home I double check the speaker wiring by removing the head unit again and surprisingly the + and - wires of rear left speaker was altered. Then I installed the wires correctly and the problem solved and now I have good quality sounds.

Just for your information, If you also having less bass then the first thing you should do is check the speaker wiring with + and - terminals from the speaker to head unit.

BR

Tharindu.

seriously? you needed to create a thread to tell people that?

This just proves that both you and gilbert are dumb. The first thing you do after a stereo/speaker installation is to check if it actually works.

I agree on Gilbert being dumb. Dude reversing the polarity can be quite dangerous. My tinkering guy, being the self proclaimed genius that he is, removed my sub, reconnected the way he

Felt was right, and never even told me. After about 5 minutes of flat music, it burnt a capacitor on my sub. B@r@ was nice enough to repair free of charge since their card machine was still hot from swiping my card!

arent the two pins of the speaker suppose to be in different sizes to avoid changing polarity?

The pins on the harness were probably cut off but they should have been able to tell the difference from thee color of the wiring.

Edited by jdnet

The pins on the harness were probably cut off but they should have been able to tell the difference from thee color of the wiring.

Yup, must be. Only possibility is through the wires coz either ends you get pins in a way you cannot interchange polarity.

Yup, must be. Only possibility is through the wires coz either ends you get pins in a way you cannot interchange polarity.

mostly this happens when our guys do the wiring. and not all speakers have that fail safe of having two types of pins.

mostly this happens when our guys do the wiring. and not all speakers have that fail safe of having two types of pins.

In the speaker there are two types of pins so you can't go wrong with that, but the issue was the original wire which was came with the speaker is a short wire so you need to connect an additional wire to connect the speaker and the head unit. So you need to connect that wires with the correct color matching. Most of the times the '-' wire was marked with a black strip and the '+' wire was marked with a red strip.

seriously? you needed to create a thread to tell people that?

This just proves that both you and gilbert are dumb. The first thing you do after a stereo/speaker installation is to check if it actually works.

After the installation the system actually works with some bass because only one speaker was erroneously connected. I have double check later because I felt it should produce sounds better than this.

Other thing was when the job was completed it's almost 7 pm and there were not much time left to play with the system at that time. So only chance that I got to experiment was after going back home.

After the installation the system actually works with some bass because only one speaker was erroneously connected. I have double check later because I felt it should produce sounds better than this.

Actually, if you had reversed the polarity of both the speakers, you will never notice it. When the polarity of one of the speakers is reversed, the opposite phase sound tend to cancel each other out.

Actually, if you had reversed the polarity of both the speakers, you will never notice it. When the polarity of one of the speakers is reversed, the opposite phase sound tend to cancel each other out.

I don't think that's quite what you meant. What you're saying would only work at 0 SPL. I take it you're referring to reversing the leads at both the speaker and amplifier end.

Edited by SeanD

I don't think that's quite what you meant. What you're saying would only work at 0 SPL. I take it you're referring to reversing the leads at both the speaker and amplifier end.

No. What I mean is, If you wrongly wire one speaker and correctly wire the other, sound from each speaker become opposite in phase ( 180 deg out of phase ) and cancel each other out, specially the low frequencies as it is common to both channels. On the other hand if you wrongly wire both the speakers you will not notice any lack of bass

Edited by whatever