• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tesla Motors - Cars That Will Change The World

Californikan

Solar power is well known for its unreliability being a renewable energy source. Availability of charging station completely depends on the number of annual sunshine days and the connected load.

If Tesla has planned to operate it on 365 day basis then it must be a grid tie system where the power deficit is fed by the local distribution network. Cali must be speaking without knowing the true facts

• Like 1

Solar power is well known for its unreliability being a renewable energy source. Availability of charging station completely depends on the number of annual sunshine days and the connected load.

If Tesla has planned to operate it on 365 day basis then it must be a grid tie system where the power deficit is fed by the local distribution network. Cali must be speaking without knowing the true facts

Watch the video of Mr. Musk explaining how the Supercharger works on the previous page .

According to Musk, the solar powered Supercharger will produce more energy than it needs to charge cars, and over the course of the year will actually contribute electricity to the grid. However, it makes sense that the grid will be connected as backup, although this has not been stated.

Also the solar panels do not directly charge the cars, but the captured solar energy instead is collected in a lithium ion energy storage system located in the obelisk, which charges the cars day or night, rain or shine.

Edited by Californikan

I have a genuine question. With the sunlight a station receives in a 24 hour window, how many cars can it charge?

Can you answer my question Cali?

Or is your knowledge limited to what you just read in that article?

Other outstanding questions to be answered by you:

1- What are the other high standard international forums you are part of?

2- [smart Phone thread] where in your posted article did it say the guy actually USED the phone to review it (and didnt just read the specs)

• Like 1

The innovation here is that the solar panels do not directly charge the cars, but the solar energy instead goes to a lithium ion energy storage system which can then charge the cars day or night, rain or shine.

Machan, if you have attended grade 5 in school, you would know that almost all solar panels store their energy in battery banks and then the energy is transferred to whatever uses it. This innovation was done 100 years back. Not by your slavemaster. I don't know whether its you who hasn't attended grade 5 in school or whether its Elon Musk or the Tesla groupie gang.

Edit: Cali, could you post the technical specifications (particularly, the kWh rating) of the supercharger thingy?

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Members,

Specifications of super charger.

I too was interested so I got this from the web.

Charging

The charger for the Tesla Model S, unlike the Tesla Roadster, is integral to the vehicle, providing 10 kW 110/240-volt charging standard. An optional US$1,200 upgrade will support 20 kW charging from a 100 Amp wall-mounted charger (High Power Wall Connector).[1] Instead of a power port that opens like a gasoline cap, like other electric cars in the market, the Model S charge port is hidden behind the left rear taillight. The port is circled in LED lights that indicate how much the battery is charged by how many lights are lit.[31] Tesla uses a proprietary electrical connector or socket that is smaller than the SAE J1772 North American standard, but adapters are provided for 110 and 240 volt outlets, and for public charging stations (J1772 spec adapter). Additional adapters are available for purchase. The carmaker plans to deploy 90 kW 440 V Tesla Supercharger units between key cities to allow fast charging on road trips.[1][32]

Charging times vary depending on the battery pack's state-of-charge, its overall capacity, the available voltage, and the available circuit breaker amp rating (current). From a 110 V/12 A outlet, the range can be restored by 5 miles (8 km) for every hour of charging. From a 10 kW, NEMA 14-50 240 V/40 A outlet (like those used by RVs), the range can be restored by 31 miles (50 km) for every hour of charging. Using Tesla's 20 kW, 240 V High Power Wall Connector, the range can be restored by 62 miles (100 km) for every hour of charging if the car is configured with twin charges (20 kW). The roadside Tesla Superchargers can charge about half the battery in 30 minutes, providing up to 150 miles (240 km) worth of range into the models configured with the 85 kWh battery packs.[32] Supercharging is included in all models with the 85 kW•h battery pack, including both Signature limited edition models, the Performance model, and the base model with 85 kW•h). Supercharging will also be included in the base model with the 60 kW•h battery, but it will not be available for the 40 kW•h battery model.[8][32]

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Machan, if you have attended grade 5 in school, you would know that almost all solar panels store their energy in battery banks and then the energy is transferred to whatever uses it. This innovation was done 100 years back. Not by your slavemaster. I don't know whether its you who hasn't attended grade 5 in school or whether its Elon Musk or the Tesla groupie gang.

Edit: Cali, could you post the technical specifications (particularly, the kWh rating) of the supercharger thingy?

As far as I'm aware the use of energy storage technology is not commonplace yet in solar installations.

The links on the previous page have what you're looking for, but the Supercharger will currently dispense energy at 90kW - 100kW (400 volts at 250amps), with an increase to 120kW coming.

As far as I'm aware the use of energy storage technology is not commonplace yet in solar installations.

The links on the previous page have what you're looking for, but the Supercharger will currently dispense energy at 90kW - 100kW (400 volts at 250amps), with an increase to 120kW coming.

A battery is a "energy storage technology." All silicone based solar cells use batteries and inverters. It's the concentrated solar power plants that do not use batteries and inverters.

Machan, come to Sri Lanka sometime with Elongated Musk. I'll take you to a place like Dambaana and show u some 'Suntec' domestic solar panels that use a seperate battery bank to store the electricity. How do u think those houses use solar panels to light bulbs in the night? Elongated Musk will be pretty surprised eh?

• Like 1

Cali, you'll be pleased to hear that the Israeli based Better Place battery switch system company is about to spend big bikkies in Vctoria, Australia, on putting its "drive in, get a replacement battery in minutes " system into place and also building recharge links with GM to support the long range/superhybrid Holden Volt car programme.

http://www.betterplace.com/global/progress/Australia

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/volt#/overview

Not sure how it will all go as Renault seem to be swinginging in the wind with the distrbution of its battery switch designed Fluence car in Aus.

http://www.renault.com.au/news/june-11/

Reportedly there are 48 all electric cars currently registered in Victoria but the Volt may develop some penetration. Problem is GM and Renault, and don't forget the Mitsi, all electric/super hybrid cars here are just too expensive to make any economic sense to a private or a commercial purchaser.

The Sydney Morning Herald did a report a week or two back on a long trip in a Volt from Sydney to Broken Hill and back with a family on board. The writer quite liked the car. If GM can get the prices down, who know what will happen. But right now an Ozzie GM buyer looking at a Volt and at a Cruz would just have to go for the latter.

Machan, come to Sri Lanka sometime with Elongated Musk. I'll take you to a place like Dambaana and show u some 'Suntec' domestic solar panels that use a seperate battery bank to store the electricity. How do u think those houses use solar panels to light bulbs in the night? Elongated Musk will be pretty surprised eh?

Heck, take him to the Japan Lanka Friendship Road in Batharamulla and show the self contained solar powered street lamps with the batteries.

Heck, take him to the Japan Lanka Friendship Road in Batharamulla and show the self contained solar powered street lamps with the batteries.

If only they put up those lamps on the left side of the road as well. Its very difficult dodging debris when doing 120km/h.

Here's a clip of a Better Place battery switch station looking after a Renault Fluence:

Story is the car owner buys the Renault sans battery and cops a battery lease payment of $2-300 a month. Got a feeling that this technology ain't going to fly. But I could be wrong.

That is awesome that solar panels are being locally produced. I noticed the solar lamps at some of the walking/jogging tracks that have opened up, but assumed they were imported from China or somewhere. Does the govt give tax/duty concessions for solar energy related components?

• Like 1

Just for fun, a little fyi on what Mr. Musk has planned for humanity....

- A manned mission to Mars in 10-15 years by his rocket company Space X.

- An battery-electric powered supersonic vertical take off and landing passenger aircraft that is faster and more efficient than jet powered aircraft. Mr. Musk has said that because he heads Space X (aeronautics expertise) and Tesla (electric motor and battery expertise) he has the ingredients in place to make it happen.

- A completely new ground based mode of transportation called 'The HyperLoop' that is solar powered, can never crash, and can transport people over 500 km in 30 minutes.

source: http://www.businessw...ndustrialist#p1

feature_musk38_targets_405.jpg

• Like 1

Yeh, Cali, in the Land of Oz, this Better Place crowd are intending - apparently - to invest in putting charging stations into owners' homes, establishing charging points in certain city locations, and building a chain of their battery swap stations. They idea is that in general use you charge up the vehicle but that on "long" journeys you have the option of sliding in a fresh, charged battery. So, on - say - a Melbourne to Sydney run you might have to change the battery three or four times. Will be intriguing to see if this idea is a goer. Talk around the traps here is that the authorities are already discussing what price to charge for electricity for cars if electric vehicles start to penetrate in any real quantity. You can be sure it would be an up movement on cost! Car companies here are also expressing concern that the Millennial Generation seem to be losing overall interest in owning cars.

That is awesome that solar panels are being locally produced. I noticed the solar lamps at some of the walking/jogging tracks that have opened up, but assumed they were imported from China or somewhere. Does the govt give tax/duty concessions for solar energy related components?

• Like 1

Californikan,

I checked up with customs they informs me the the solar panels to Sri Llanka is duty free only 5% PAL and 2% on C I F.

On the web the last information is on January 2012 to inform as

Sri Lanka Cuts Import Duty & VAT on Buses & Trucks. Value Added Tax Lifted on Solar Cells & PV Panels

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 2

Yeah, Musk's ideas about capacitor power storage are real too. He's a genuine doer of a guy. He'd have a great time in SL at New Year with his love of fireworks, too. Maybe we should invite him down for next year?

You make very little sense... You been associating Mr. Queen's English too much!!

• Like 1

Yeh, Cali, in the Land of Oz, this Better Place crowd are intending - apparently - to invest in putting charging stations into owners' homes, establishing charging points in certain city locations, and building a chain of their battery swap stations. They idea is that in general use you charge up the vehicle but that on "long" journeys you have the option of sliding in a fresh, charged battery. So, on - say - a Melbourne to Sydney run you might have to change the battery three or four times. Will be intriguing to see if this idea is a goer. Talk around the traps here is that the authorities are already discussing what price to charge for electricity for cars if electric vehicles start to penetrate in any real quantity. You can be sure it would be an up movement on cost! Car companies here are also expressing concern that the Millennial Generation seem to be losing overall interest in owning cars.

Scooter, do you know why the OZ govt hasn't put electric car tax incentives in place? Most of the other developed markets have had tax incentives in place for a while now.

Californikan,

I checked up with customs they informs me the the solar panels to Sri Llanka is duty free only 5% PAL and 2% on C I F.

On the web the last information is on January 2012 to inform as

Sri Lanka Cuts Import Duty & VAT on Buses & Trucks. Value Added Tax Lifted on Solar Cells & PV Panels

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you very much for the information Sylvi. Very helpful.