• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla 121 Fuel Problem

alpha17

Question

Currently i'm hving a 2000 corolla 121 g auto (95000km done) which i hve used only for 2 months.bt its fuel economy is nt vry impressive.in the town limit(kegalle) it is only 9kmpl and outstation only 11-11.5 kmpl.when i went 2 the dealer of toyota he said said that the problem is with the transmission oil and he changed it using genuine toyota motor oil,but the problem is still there!what can i do for it?(still i hvent serviced it and the toyota guy said the fuel filter is a local one)

13 answers to this question

So i hve 2 say that fuel consumption is extremely high!since i bought it ,it has been in the garage for about nearly 1 year as the owner is living abroad!sometimes the fan belt also sounds.what can i do for it?

Had a 2003 121 couple of years ago, got only 9.5 kmpl in the city. A 2004 allion i have at home also does less than 10 in the city. I'm talkiing central colombo travelling during weekdays!!

So i don't think you are way off, if your travelling is limited to central colombo. Not sure about the outstation rate though. I guess you can try the following just to be sure;

1. Change air filter, petrol filter

2. Clean throttle body and do a tune up with a spark plug change

3. Make sure you are running the standard rim size

4. Ensure you pump sufficient air in to the tyres

• Like 1

Also check operation of air conditioner, if you are using. Due to lack of gas or malfunction of thermostat, compressor may run continuously.

Improve your driving style, as discussed in previous threads.

Check the engine running at correct temperature.

Check Oxygen sensor too, if available.

Check the brake system, binding may cause problem.

Edited by WCW

I should say that lot of roads now are cannot be considered as outstation.Now colombo to kandy driving is same as the city.you should drive like to anuradapura to check the actual outstaion milage.Anyway Do a tune up and see.

Guys, both 121 and Alion 240 has higher kmpl figures (tested many times) in City traffic. Please verify the way you calculated and also look for tuning issues.

A car sitting in one place for one year is a pretty nasty thing. Might need a good look at the engine and all fluids to be changed. A good tuneup is also mandatory.

If you can explain more on the situation, will try to help as possible.

Currently i'm hving a 2000 corolla 121 g auto (95000km done) which i hve used only for 2 months.bt its fuel economy is nt vry impressive.in the town limit(kegalle) it is only 9kmpl and outstation only 11-11.5 kmpl.when i went 2 the dealer of toyota he said said that the problem is with the transmission oil and he changed it using genuine toyota motor oil,but the problem is still there!what can i do for it?(still i hvent serviced it and the toyota guy said the fuel filter is a local one)

Please provide with the following details as well.

1- What is the Engine capacity ? (1300cc, 1500cc or 1800cc) as 121 has all these three types of engies though 1500cc is the most common

2- is it a domestic model (imported recon. )? or purchased via local agent brand new ?

http://web-cache.stream.ne.jp/www09/toyota-catalog/pdf/corolla-3/corolla-3_200008.pdf

Check out this ....

it's a JDM YOM 2000.1500CC.also when I start the car the rpm goes to 1-800 but when I turn on AC the rpm meter goes down to 500.Someone said that the rpm should go up.do i need 2 fix it?My wheels are in original size.I changed transmission fluid,also i'm going 2 change the engine oil.but i have 2 say that fuel consumption is extremely high.the milage is also genuine.

it's a JDM YOM 2000.1500CC.also when I start the car the rpm goes to 1-800 but when I turn on AC the rpm meter goes down to 500.Someone said that the rpm should go up.do i need 2 fix it?My wheels are in original size.I changed transmission fluid,also i'm going 2 change the engine oil.but i have 2 say that fuel consumption is extremely high.the milage is also genuine.

The idle control valve of your car has become faulty. When the AC kicks in the idle speed should hold steady but it isn't. For your car this should be a simple to fix as parts are plenty. When you are doing it might as well get the throttle body cleaned and serviced as well.

As I understand in your vehical you have a RPM meter. SO you can check this.

on a vvti engine optimal gear changing RPM is 2500 rev/min (this is ideal but @least aroung will be fine) so you can check when the vehical is about 60km/h RPM it should be around 1000 rev/min to 1500rev/min if your gear box has no any problem.

please do the needful to your vehical . An engine oil change every 6 monts or 5000km which ever occurs first with genuine T*y*ta oil and oil filter. There is no big price difference compared with the other brands.