• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Suvs Under 4Mil

tiv

Question

Hi there,

Been in the car market lately looking for an SUV with a budget of 4 mil..

Found these

Daihatsu Terios/ Toyota Rush (went through the differences on the other thread)

Kia sportage (2008 Diesel)

Kia Sorento (2004)

Suzuki Vitara/Escudo (2006)

Honda CR-V RD5 (quoted bit higher)

Micro Kyron (Diesel)

Subaru Forester (2005)

Nissan X-trail (Petrol 1st Gen)

If there are anymore please suggest..

Please kindly chuck in your views/recommendations

I know the variety in this list is kinda vast;

just for clarification my requirements are :

Any fuel type is fine, fuel economy is of least concern, no intention of "real" off roading a decent ground clearance would do,

need good passenger capacity, good pulling power, reliability/ easy to maintain..

So which is the best one?

Thank you..

Edited by tiv

18 answers to this question

If I were you I would replace The Kia Sportage with the Hyundai Tucson.

Same car but due to the reason of the agent.

It's better to avoid autos, specialy in ssangyongs

If you want it to be economical go for the Tucson diesel.

But if it doesn't matter that much I would go for a Nissan X-Trail.

And if you are thirsty for even more grunt you can search for a 280BHP X-Trail GT

Edited by Clark's son
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys,

had a bit of an idea on the 2008 Sportage, any issues with that?

If you want it to be economical go for the Tucson diesel.

But if it doesn't matter that much I would go for a Nissan X-Trail.

And if you are thirsty for even more grunt you can search for a 280BHP X-Trail GT

Are there GT versions in SL? sounds very tempting..

Btw none of these vehicles have a pair of fold-able 3rd row seat, anything that does have a set ?

Thanks for the replies guys,

had a bit of an idea on the 2008 Sportage, any issues with that?

Are there GT versions in SL? sounds very tempting..

Btw none of these vehicles have a pair of fold-able 3rd row seat, anything that does have a set ?

Yes there are some GTs here and mind you I have used one,

Below 3000rpm it's a classic example of turbo lag,

But when the turbo kicks in well......... it rips you'r head off from you'r spine.

Had to let it go due to it's thirst, was lucky to get 6kmpl even when driven like a prius,

and in high times well it gobbled off half tank from Battaramulla to Malabe in a night time.

If you want a fordable 3rd row you will have to extend you'r budget and go for a santafe V6 ( the CRDi will be way over the 4mill mark)

If you want power go for a Forester :) but it's not easy to maintain. So i think an Xtrail would be better :)

I've heard so, thanks

Yes there are some GTs here and mind you I have used one,

Below 3000rpm it's a classic example of turbo lag,

But when the turbo kicks in well......... it rips you'r head off from you'r spine.

Had to let it go due to it's thirst, was lucky to get 6kmpl even when driven like a prius,

and in high times well it gobbled off half tank from Battaramulla to Malabe in a night time.

If you want a fordable 3rd row you will have to extend you'r budget and go for a santafe V6 ( the CRDi will be way over the 4mill mark)

Better stay clear from the Xtrail GT then, if hypermiling got you 6kmpl, i might as well have to sell my house to fill her up.. :)

If you wan't a Toyota you can go with Toyota Rav 4 2004/2005.

A pretty decent vehical and does about 8/9 km/l as I heard. I mean for 2L engine that's pretty fair.

Not like Teriose or Rush. Try buying a Manul one so you feel it like a SUV.

Thanks for the suggestion, gotta lookout for one..

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

My personal favourite in this price bracket is the old Pajero computer model :) I think its pretty good value at around the mid 3 million mark and can genuinely be taken off road. Just to mix it up another interesting option is the Land Cruiser single cab with the 4L engine (mostly used by Safari companies).

But perhaps that's not quite what you want when you speak of an SUV I guess.

Yeah, i have quite an interest in the ol' fellas, the pajero, the LJ79 Land Cruiser (old ones ) and the new 4L one , the issue is the family component is up with the whole SUV thingy more or less soft-roader..

As for off road i've had my times with the Landy and the Hilux will soon be ready for a bit of mud :)

Edited by tiv

Honda CRV hands down

Do you guys have any experience on the RD5 CR-V?

I've found a 2003 model brand new import, 137000 km on the clock.. Seems pretty solid, quoting 4mil... Pretty convincing.. What do you guys think?

Actually it was advertised on AL by the previous owner (prior to the current owner) but I feel quoting it here would be against forum rules.

(btw I did do a search and even though previous posts pop up when I click them the browser just points back to the forum index page, is it just me or is this an issue with the site? )

Edited by tiv

Do you guys have any experience on the RD5 CR-V?

I've found a 2003 model brand new import, 137000 km on the clock.. Seems pretty solid, quoting 4mil... Pretty convincing.. What do you guys think?

Actually it was advertised on AL by the previous owner (prior to the current owner) but I feel quoting it here would be against forum rules.

(btw I did do a search and even though previous posts pop up when I click them the browser just points back to the forum index page, is it just me or is this an issue with the site? )

Yes machan, may be something wrong with the site, cause similar thing happening to me also!

I think you will be just fine as long as you don't choose a Kyron (auto or not). Kyron = brittle SUV with an incompetent agent determined to rip you off.

Is it that bad?. few of my friends are using kyrons and actyons, they are not complaining such except the vacuum modulator issue.

Edited by udayap