• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advise About Engine Surfce Cleaning ?

CAR_MADNESS

Guy's this might not be a important topic but I would like to have your opinion. Is it ok to let wash the engine surface during the service ?

As I heard It is not good to do so with water. How about steam ?

Some spray something similar to penetrating oil is it ok ? or engine should be only dry cleaned ? your advise is highly appreciated.

steam works, but, are you willing to buy a steamer just so you can clean your engine? BTW those little 12k rupee steamers abans sells will not do the job.

I clean mine using a rag dipped in warm water and wrung out.

Edited by jdnet

I use diesel. spray it all over the engine or dip a cotton cloth and wipe thoroughly. Probably not the best way but worked fine so far as opposed to letting the service station guys spray water all over the engine.

Before:

dsc00983wu.jpg

After spraying diesel:

dsc00984rc.jpg

After cleaning thoroughly with a (cotton) cloth:

dsc00985gw.jpg

• Like 3

i do wash. use surf Excel and water

2cch.jpg

Probably ok for a diesel, not a petrol with all the electronic gadgetry

Yea this ones a CR41 2c isnt it? If you tried that with a newer efi/common rail you'll have a mess.

I use diesel. spray it all over the engine or dip a cotton cloth and wipe thoroughly. Probably not the best way but worked fine so far as opposed to letting the service station guys spray water all over the engine.

Before:

After spraying diesel:

diesel not good for rubber partz.

Guy's this might not be a important topic but I would like to have your opinion. Is it ok to let wash the engine surface during the service ?

As I heard It is not good to do so with water. How about steam ?

Some spray something similar to penetrating oil is it ok ? or engine should be only dry cleaned ? your advise is highly appreciated.

machang, were you not preaching bana in another thread about engine cleanliness?

machang, were you not preaching bana in another thread about engine cleanliness?

Sorry bro ,

Didn’t mean to mislead anyone ,

Honestly I haven’t performed “So called engine flush” so far in my life. I just wanted to sahre what I got 2 Know and heard.

I guess got 2 be more responsible when sharing the info

Edited by CAR_MADNESS

Nilantha, Davy

Thanks for sharing. But How would you clean the radiator and the AC cooler ?

what about the hard reaching area's ? Some what presured air , Will it do the cleaning ?or you need to spary water/ or steam pependicular to the radiator and cooler ?

Guys, Thanks for sharing

So far I did not let spray water or any chemicals to my engine surface even during the service. But there were issues bothering me

1- You need to clean the A/C cooler and Radiator But how to do this ? Please correct me if Do something wrong. I ask the cleaning guy to hold the presured air pepndicular to the Radiator and the cooler and send of the all the sutck dust and forign metrial. But I watch out so that the mesh is not bend at all.

2- During the last service ,when changed the oil filter. they did not connect a horse to oil filer's drain line and they just removed the oil filter spilling oil down the engine surface. Since I refused engine wash so there is oil on my engine surfce and it leacked down. In a such case How can we clean ?

3- But With mr previouse vehical, it was maintined by agents and they wash the engine with a some sort of a chimcal followed with bit presurized warm water. But they cover all the electical parts and sensors. can I do the same for my current vehical also ? How safe will this be ?

4- What about the sparying stuff similar to penetrating Oil ?

5- What can you say about the MARPA_CARB_CLEANER http://www.marpa.cn/products_ss/&productId=3caa5d48-ebe4-4055-97bd-7add5a5cd724&comp_stats=comp-FrontProducts_list01-004.html Not to spray all over the engine but only the spot ? I know it is not ment to be used to clean engine surfaces but it also says that safe on rubber and says it cleans grease, dirt , gum and carbon will this be safe?

Edited by CAR_MADNESS

listen, you don't need to do all this crap to your engine. If an engine needed to be cleaned, don't you think it would be on the user manual?

if you want it looking good, just wipe it down. attempting to clean all thee nooks and crannies will only cause more trouble. It's not like it's going to increase performance or anything. Just make sure the oil and filters are changed on time and drive your car.

• Like 3

listen, you don't need to do all this crap to your engine. If an engine needed to be cleaned, don't you think it would be on the user manual?

if you want it looking good, just wipe it down. attempting to clean all thee nooks and crannies will only cause more trouble. It's not like it's going to increase performance or anything. Just make sure the oil and filters are changed on time and drive your car.

tnx dude. Yes user maul is there. but it in Japanese :sad-smiley-066:

Guys why do you want to clean the engine, mostly it is dust use a blower or get the service attendent to blow the dust off using air.

For any stains there are special liquids/sprays available

This has worked for me and i never had any issues with electronics of any of my cars.

Guys, Thanks for sharing

So far I did not let spray water or any chemicals to my engine surface even during the service. But there were issues bothering me

1- You need to clean the A/C cooler and Radiator But how to do this ? Please correct me if Do something wrong. I ask the cleaning guy to hold the presured air pepndicular to the Radiator and the cooler and send of the all the sutck dust and forign metrial. But I watch out so that the mesh is not bend at all.

2- During the last service ,when changed the oil filter. they did not connect a horse to oil filer's drain line and they just removed the oil filter spilling oil down the engine surface. Since I refused engine wash so there is oil on my engine surfce and it leacked down. In a such case How can we clean ?

3- But With mr previouse vehical, it was maintined by agents and they wash the engine with a some sort of a chimcal followed with bit presurized warm water. But they cover all the electical parts and sensors. can I do the same for my current vehical also ? How safe will this be ?

4- What about the sparying stuff similar to penetrating Oil ?

5- What can you say about the MARPA_CARB_CLEANER http://www.marpa.cn/...list01-004.html Not to spray all over the engine but only the spot ? I know it is not ment to be used to clean engine surfaces but it also says that safe on rubber and says it cleans grease, dirt , gum and carbon will this be safe?

Car Madness. There is a cleaning fluid called Turtle Wax engine degreaser and its the most effective one I've used (perhaps the autoglym product is as good but I've never used it). What I do is spray the oiled up greasy areas in the engine generously and then use a slow running hose to rinse the areas out.

You should be careful to keep the water away from electronic items and the spark plug holes particularly on dual cam engines where they are on top and not on the side. If you want to be safe you need to cover everything using polythene and masking tape. The degreaser is very effective and does not need a lot of water to rinse out and you do not need to rub it with a cloth or anything, just a bit of water flowing on top. It works very well on the bottom of the engine with no electronic bits to worry about.

It is also best done on a nice sunny day so the engine can be left to dry for a bit before attempting to start it.

If you do not feel 100% confident take the car to a place like Plush on 120 route. Search the forum for directions but its after Bernards on the opposite side if you are driving towards Colombo from Kohuwala.

• Like 1

Before:

dsc00983wu.jpg

After spraying diesel:

dsc00984rc.jpg

dsc00985gw.jpg

1+ for diesel...

i clean with compressed air first, then spray diesel...let it sit for a bit and use compressed air again to get rid of excessive diesel.

• Like 1

1+ for diesel...

i clean with compressed air first, then spray diesel...let it sit for a bit and use compressed air again to get rid of excessive diesel.

I heard you are really good with your compressor :D

Car Madness. There is a cleaning fluid called Turtle Wax engine degreaser and its the most effective one I've used (perhaps the autoglym product is as good but I've never used it). What I do is spray the oiled up greasy areas in the engine generously and then use a slow running hose to rinse the areas out.

You should be careful to keep the water away from electronic items and the spark plug holes particularly on dual cam engines where they are on top and not on the side. If you want to be safe you need to cover everything using polythene and masking tape. The degreaser is very effective and does not need a lot of water to rinse out and you do not need to rub it with a cloth or anything, just a bit of water flowing on top. It works very well on the bottom of the engine with no electronic bits to worry about.

It is also best done on a nice sunny day so the engine can be left to dry for a bit before attempting to start it.

If you do not feel 100% confident take the car to a place like Plush on 120 route. Search the forum for directions but its after Bernards on the opposite side if you are driving towards Colombo from Kohuwala.

The Don , Thank you very much for your valuable information.

Edited by CAR_MADNESS

1+ for diesel...

Doesnt diesel leave a oily residue that actually lets dust stick to it? I've never washed an engine with it, but i've had enough pump operators not stopping in time and letting diesel overflow leading to petrol dripping down the body out of the filler cap.. and if I dont wipe it off immediately dust settles on it creating a greasy layer. Quite commonly seen on lorries n vans too...

And diesel evaporate either, right?

Doesnt diesel leave a oily residue that actually lets dust stick to it? I've never washed an engine with it, but i've had enough pump operators not stopping in time and letting diesel overflow leading to petrol dripping down the body out of the filler cap.. and if I dont wipe it off immediately dust settles on it creating a greasy layer. Quite commonly seen on lorries n vans too...

And diesel evaporate either, right?

i think diesel evaporates quite slowly...

also....what i forgot to mention was using a bit of car wash foam on things non-electric and electronic to completely take away the diesel.

compressed air does a pretty good job but if you wanna ensure diesel is out, using car wash works...

i do this sorta clean up only once a month so spending on that extra few cans of beer and bit more time on the detailing job is quite ok :)

i think diesel evaporates quite slowly...

also....what i forgot to mention was using a bit of car wash foam on things non-electric and electronic to completely take away the diesel.

compressed air does a pretty good job but if you wanna ensure diesel is out, using car wash works...

i do this sorta clean up only once a month so spending on that extra few cans of beer and bit more time on the detailing job is quite ok :)

Agreed! I usually do this in the open sun so it does evaporate faster. Unfortunately I don't have a compressor with me so I'm compelled to clean the excess diesel off using a rag, so what Watchman said about it attracting dust is also eliminated.

I also spend a good couple of hours on this just because I want the engine to look as good and as clean as the rest of the car. :)

Chaps, I find engine degreaser a lot more efficient than diesel, because I only need to rinse it with water and it leaves no residue nor does it attract dust. I did note however that the stuff wasn't available at the place I bought it from before and I'm on my last 100ml or so :) Thankfully you don't need a lot for the job.