• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice For Coputer Hardware

udayap

Dear All,

Sorry for posting this in an auto forum. But, I know there are lot of IT expertise are with AL

I need a Serial to USB converter to transfer data (on the go) from a field sensor (I am a researcher). I searched some converters in Kandy and found only the cheaper ones (Rs. 700) with the Prolific Processor chip. But, this converter is very unstable and it doesnot effectively transfer data from the sensor and to the sensor. Searched the net bit and found that those cheap converters (with prolific processor) are higly unreliable.

So i want to find out a branded converter (Such as Belkin or Quotum) proven to have a reliable data transfer. net says to select a converter with FTDI or Silabs processor chips. Guys, do you know a computer oultet in Colombo, i can try to find out such a good converter. Since i have to travel to colombo, thanks if you could provide some PC shops, then i can phone before going.

thanks

PS: Sorry for the error in the topic name, I could not edit the topic!!!

Edited by udayap

Go to unity plaza at Bambalapitiya. Surely they can fulfill your needs. But as I heard most of these converters are Chinese.

Thanks, I am going there today. Doent matter if it chinese as far as a reputed brand with a good processor.

I use USB-Serial converters in my line of work as well. We have tested on several models, the Prolific based converters are a hit and miss affair (mostly miss, even though we have had surprisingly good results with the kind that comes in a transparent green connector/clear wire combination). What we finally settled for were these. They can be found at Unity Plaza. If not, drop me a PM, I'll get you in touch with our supplier.

UC232A-USB-Converters-OL-large.jpg

Edited by terrabytetango

I use USB-Serial converters in my line of work as well. We have tested on several models, the Prolific based converters are a hit and miss affair (mostly miss, even though we have had surprisingly good results with the kind that comes in a transparent green connector/clear wire combination). What we finally settled for were these. They can be found at Unity Plaza. If not, drop me a PM, I'll get you in touch with our supplier.

Exactly my thought as well. I can't say that I have a whole lot of experience with various types of USB to Serial converters, but I have some experience using this type of cable (and it did the job). Unity Plaza was where I bought mine from as well, it was from a small shop at the corner close to B@rclays.

UC232A-USB-Converters-OL-large.jpg

Oops, I bought a one you mentioned. It also doesnt work. I tried with XP, it doesnot support windows 7 as well. I am in trouble now.

Oops, I bought a one you mentioned. It also doesnt work. I tried with XP, it doesnot support windows 7 as well. I am in trouble now.

Did you try installing the driver from the disk in the package instead of letting Windows install a default driver?

Nop davy, the cd package did not get the windows 7 driver. I downloaded 7 driver from the prolific website. This driver is bundled with a small program to check the chip and accordingly the chip is PL-2303XA/HXA. According to technical information, this chip is compatible with win7. generally, after installing the driver to the pc, the installation is completed after inserting the the converter to the usb port. But, at this final installation it gives an error message. Also, in control panel i can see the error code 10. Seems the chip is a fake one which is not compatible with windows 7

thanks

Edited by udayap

Nop davy, the cd package did not get the windows 7 driver. I downloaded 7 driver from the prolific website. This driver is bundled with a small program to check the chip and accordingly the chip is PL-2303XA/HXA. According to technical information, this chip is compatible with win7. generally, after installing the driver to the pc, the installation is completed after inserting the the converter to the usb port. But, at this final installation it gives an error message. Also, in control panel i can see the error code 10. Seems the chip is a fake one which is not compatible with windows 7

thanks

Hmm... that's a bit weird. I still think it could be an issue with the driver. Check the following:

- Are you running Windows 7 x64 while trying to install an x86 driver (or vice versa)?

- Try executing the driver installation by right clicking on the set up file and selecting "Run As Administrator"

Edited by Davy

Really? Did you download the drivers from Prolific or Aten? Don't let Windows 7 automatically install the drivers through windows update. I use the Vista drivers (which are compatible with Win 7), which come on the CD. Oh and make sure your computer's USB drivers are up to date, including USB 2.0 support if applicable.

Hmm... that's a bit weird. I still think it could be an issue with the driver. Check the following:

- Are you running Windows 7 x64 while trying to install an x86 driver (or vice versa)?

- Try executing the driver installation by right clicking on the set up file and selecting "Run As Administrator"

My netbook has windows 7 starter package

I tried with "run as adminstrator", but once i plug in the converter it shows the message"Device driver software was not successfully installed"

Really? Did you download the drivers from Prolific or Aten? Don't let Windows 7 automatically install the drivers through windows update. I use the Vista drivers (which are compatible with Win 7), which come on the CD. Oh and make sure your computer's USB drivers are up to date, including USB 2.0 support if applicable.

I found vista driver from a cd of another converter (one i disposed). Now the installation is okay, but i can not recieve data via heperterminal or Eltima RS232 data logger. Why data are not transferred, any security issue with win7?(the converter works with XP)

Edited by udayap

Guys, some literature and findings:

Seems that the one i purchased has a fake prolific chip. That is why the windows7 driver software from prolific did not work with it. Actually, they have included a code to trap counterfits.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-%28pl2303%29-usb-serial-adapters/

However, as terra has done, I could only installed the vista driver came with the fake chip. Anyway, though the driver installation is okay, the data transfer is not happening.

So, lets have another visit to unity and find a converter with original chip set...

Have you configured it properly? Make sure you have identified the correct serial port, try to assign the port to COM3 or COM4. Also keep parity as none, bit length as 8 and flow control as none. And make sure the baudrate is set to match your device.

Have you configured it properly? Make sure you have identified the correct serial port, try to assign the port to COM3 or COM4. Also keep parity as none, bit length as 8 and flow control as none. And make sure the baudrate is set to match your device.

I tried all, nothing helped. Today, I had another visit to unity plaza and got a branded one (z-tech) that comes with FTD chip. Hey, it does the job. Bit expensive (Rs. 3000). Learnt a good lesson, not to buy any non branded computer peripherals (This damn thing wasted my couple of days of valuble time). By the way, why these shops in unity plaza do not pay cash for returns, I think this is illegal.

Edited by udayap