• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vw Jetta

fuzzo

IMO too much, if you are crazy about the model and if the car is in excellent condition I would say it will be worth around 3.0-3.5 Mil.

It is a difficult car to sell so try to bargain and get a good deal, when it is time for you to sell you will face the same issue.

i was planning on calling someone from senok to find out how the cars are...just wish they came in auto..

Hi,

Being a VW owner i would recommend you find a manual gearbox. The VAG auto gearboxes are problematic. Ruwan is planning to start his own gearbox repair workshop very soon, he is waiting for the equipment to arrive. but its better if u have a manual.

Cheers

i was planning on calling someone from senok to find out how the cars are...just wish they came in auto..

I think the Jetta of that generation came with a DSG auto which is quite a complicated system and there are reports of problems even in the European and North American markets.....

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

Bringing up this old thread to discuss the volkswagen jetta 2008 1.9 diesel manual permit spec.

Ive been looking for a manual compact sedan within the 3.0mil range and came across one of these. I prefer a jap..but would like to get u guys opinion on this.

Besides being rare, having poor resale and blah blah..

1.Want to know if this is a good vehicle overall and the major issues with it?

2.How badly are the fuel pumps and suspension coping in our conditions?

3.is it significantly more troublesome compared to a jap or other euros?

I guess sourcing parts is not that a big issue as before..and mechanics are also somewhat competent.

In brief, if im prepared to overlook resale value..how good a option is it compared to say a similar condition civic fd4 in terms of Reliability and Running cost?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Bringing up this old thread to discuss the volkswagen jetta 2008 1.9 diesel manual permit spec.

Ive been looking for a manual compact sedan within the 3.0mil range and came across one of these. I prefer a jap..but would like to get u guys opinion on this.

Besides being rare, having poor resale and blah blah..

1.Want to know if this is a good vehicle overall and the major issues with it?

2.How badly are the fuel pumps and suspension coping in our conditions?

3.is it significantly more troublesome compared to a jap or other euros?

I guess sourcing parts is not that a big issue as before..and mechanics are also somewhat competent.

In brief, if im prepared to overlook resale value..how good a option is it compared to say a similar condition civic fd4 in terms of Reliability and Running cost?

Thanks

I can't comment on the Jetta, but I can address the running costs of the VW 1.9 TDi as we had VW 1.9 diesel TDi in the family.

The VW 1.9 diesel TDi proved to be extremely reliable for our family. The running costs were minimal requiring no extra maintenance on the engine and power train other than the regular (synthetic) oil changes which were expensive.

There is a timing belt change for that engine at 100k kms which I hear is extremely important (and fairly expensive). If the car you are buying is close to or is over that mileage, then check that it has been done and if it hasn't; make sure you factor in the cost of that into your purchase price.

In my experience:

Pros: Cheap to run. Extremely dependable engine and power-train. Easy to maintain and there is a ton of info on the web via forums, enthusiast clubs etc when it comes to maintenance. Lots of lovely low end torque to play around with!

Cons: Noisy and very unrefined when compared to the other European diesel engines (but I guess that's why its cheap to run!)

Fuel economy: Excellent. I got around 30% more mileage out of the diesel (which is quite good, considering that whenever I drove this car, I drove it like I stole it- Its the low end torque. It was intoxicating...)

I guess stuff to look for when buying would be whether the seller is using the correct oil and filters, as well as checking for the timing belt changeover. I'd also check if there is any hesitancy at start up as it could indicate water in the fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. Not a big deal, but good indicators that the owner hasn't really followed up with regular maintenance.

Nice to hear some positivity;)

So your motor is a 1.9tdi non commonrail is it? Whats ur vehicle btw n which year?

Any idea if the 2008 jetta im talkin of is powered by the same unit? I thought it was a commonrail.

Whats the fuel you ve been using super diesel or regular? Any fuel pump issues to date?

This guy says hes servicing at senok every 10000km. He doesn t know the oil used but says its done at senok. Probably hes using some synthetic oil but isnt it a long interval for a dieael?

Whats the oil u use and the frequency of oil changes? whats the mileage on urs?

Nice to hear some positivity;)

So your motor is a 1.9tdi non commonrail is it? Whats ur vehicle btw n which year?

Any idea if the 2008 jetta im talkin of is powered by the same unit? I thought it was a commonrail.

Whats the fuel you ve been using super diesel or regular? Any fuel pump issues to date?

This guy says hes servicing at senok every 10000km. He doesn t know the oil used but says its done at senok. Probably hes using some synthetic oil but isnt it a long interval for a dieael?

Whats the oil u use and the frequency of oil changes? whats the mileage on urs?

Wiki says: Ours had the VW 1.9 TDI BSW engine (with individual unit injectors apparently).

We did oil changes at 10,000k as well (our other diesel has 15k oil changes) and the oil filter got changed every time (although on the TDi specific forums some individuals skip and change the filter every other service as they say the OEM Mann filter is pretty good and can handle it).

As for oil: As the other diesel we have uses Castrol Edge Synthetic that's what I ended up going with (the forums say Mobil 1 is better but any diesel oil is fine as long as it has a CH-4 /CG-4 or above rating, not exactly sure which one is the best fit for your engine, but you can easily check and make your own call. When I researched, the best oil I could find (in my opinion) for our car was Shell Rotella T6, but no one on the forums use it, and as mentioned since Castrol Edge was a good compromise, I didn't either).

As for fuel: I personally wouldn't use anything else but super diesel, what is the current owner using? If you're adventurous, go ahead, live dangerously and use regular diesel; but I doubt you'll find any one who recommends that. I seem to remember that changing the fuel pump seems straight forward for the Jetta, Golf and the Beetle ( the TDI forum had a number of individuals who did it, i seem to remember that it was just a matter of pulling out the rear seats, unbolting the access cover and swapping out the unit).

Our car didn't have any fuel pump issues at all throughout its life. When it was sold, it had almost 95k on the odometer and ran with no issues (other than an annoying diesel clatter). That engine was amazing, and the car was really well engineered. When we bought it I was not a fan; but learned to love it for its practicality, the mad torque and its suspension.

Edited by Kavvz

Ok..thanks alot for ur time mate.

How was the vehicle approaching 100000k? Pulling power, burning oil etc? the thing is the vehicles i ve seen are topping 100000k but with regular maintenence. Is that mileage a significant bite off this engine? Ive heard of guys who ve done 300k+ on diesel VWs but thats not in SL..

(Gettin more curious as to what ur vehicle was:)

Ok..thanks alot for ur time mate.

How was the vehicle approaching 100000k? Pulling power, burning oil etc? the thing is the vehicles i ve seen are topping 100000k but with regular maintenence. Is that mileage a significant bite off this engine? Ive heard of guys who ve done 300k+ on diesel VWs but thats not in SL..

As mentioned, we had no issues at all even at that mileage (which as you say is really not a big deal for a diesel engine).

(Edit Oil burning: Consuming a bit of oil is normal for diesels and in my case I had to top it up with half a litre of oil every 2500k- 3k)

Have they done the timing belt change on this particular car you're looking at? Since the owner has maintained it at Senok that should make it easy to verify the service history. Why not grab the VIN and enquire with Senok as to the history of the car? If they are reluctant to share the service history with you, have the owner call up the service manager he deals with and request the history on the car be shared with you...

Edited by Kavvz

Yup wil check with s*nok..

Have u dealt with them or privately? How is their service and rates? Is it a bad idea to continue maintenence privately?

these oil changes.. how much did it cost roughly? mobil synthetic is around 10.5k..what about the filters and labor?

Ya some oil burning is expected..

But you havent mentioned any suspension, joints or steering rack issues though..thats some pretty watchful driving for 95k!;)

Ok i cant hold it now..what on earth was ur car pls?!?

Have u dealt with them or privately? How is their service and rates? Is it a bad idea to continue maintenence privately?

these oil changes.. how much did it cost roughly? mobil synthetic is around 10.5k..what about the filters and labor?

But you havent mentioned any suspension, joints or steering rack issues though..thats some pretty watchful driving for 95k! ;)

So what gives, did you make use of the good mood everyone is in during the new year season and lock in the purchase at a favourable price?

Also:

1. I don't use Mobil 1 other than the odd one litre can for a top up in an emergency when I can't find Castrol, so I don't know whether that's a good price. However to me it seems a bit high as the 5L Castrol Edge Synthetic can is quite a bit cheaper and for Rs 10.5k you could buy the oil AND a Mann oil filter from the respective dealers. (PM me if you need contacts, but its easy enough to find oil and filters as its not like any of those items / brands are a rarity in Colombo). If you read the TDI forum you'll find that there are number of recommended oils for this engine type; so as mentioned above its up to you to figure out what oil works best for you and its not necessary that you stick with Mobil or Castrol.

2. As for going to Senok or whether its worthwhile spending the extra money to do your basic services there etc: Well that's something for you to decide.

[i've stated on multiple threads that changing oil and going through the recommended service checklists is super easy, and that its a waste of time and money going to the agents for that, and I stick by it. Besides, building up a relationship with your local garage via simple stuff like oil changes etc. comes in handy when you need something done quick in an emergency (boosting up a dead battery, fixing a puncture, recharging the A/C gas etc). However the reaction to that advice has always been negative, as individuals seem to like going to the agents. In the grand scheme of things, that way the agents / dealers make money, stay open and invest in newer equipment and training for their staff ( meaning they are available for when shit really hits the fan!): So its all good I guess. (In my opinion maintenance is actually very straight forward for the 1.9 TDI engine because all the stuff you need to access is pretty much right there in front of you as soon as you take off the plastic engine cover, but again if you are more comfortable at the agents, that's where you should go.)]

Edited by Kavvz

But you havent mentioned any suspension, joints or steering rack issues though..thats some pretty watchful driving for 95k! ;)

Ok i cant hold it now..what on earth was ur car pls?!?

Senok's VW/Audi service division does not have the same stellar reputation that the Subaru section does. Their prices are typical for a Euro car agent and the work is obviously at a good standard. For a car of this age you're much better off going independent as there is a now a very good network for VW/Audi outside the agents.

Vishwa Motors in Boralesgamuwa are the go-to place for independent VW/Audi work. They are fully equipped and are good at what they do.

Can you believe they quoted two different prices for the basic service for VW (Passat) and Audi (A4).

Having the same engine, presumably same oil and filter, done at the same place. About 25% more for Audi.

Can you believe they quoted two different prices for the basic service for VW (Passat) and Audi (A4).

Having the same engine, presumably same oil and filter, done at the same place. About 25% more for Audi.

Who is 'They' ?

Vishwa Motors in Boralesgamuwa are the go-to place for independent VW/Audi work. They are fully equipped and are good at what they do.

I second that based on personal experience.

Plus you have the advantage of observing the work being done. That kind of thing is not looked upon favorably at the agents !