• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Audi A4, A6

knightowl

I am on the look out for a new car. I hate to buy Allions and Premios because everybody seems to be having one. On searching the AL there are quite a few good Audi's for sale for a very reasonable price. I know the market in sri lanka is different but they are very classy and dependable in UK. Will I be in serious trouble if I by one? If I buy I'll be going for a diesel A6.

I am planning to get a driver as well. At the moment my preferences are like this.

1. Hyundai Santa Fe, diesel, 4WD, 7 seater, 2007-2008

2. Montero sport 2007-2008

3. Audi A6, Diesel or probably A4 petrol

4. Or get a Nissan N16 and keep the money in the bank. I won't be driving anyway [mostly]

I can go up to 5 - 5.5Mil cash.

PS. I usually fly to UK several times a year. Will that help if I buy an Audi so that I could bring any spares myself?

Your expert opinions are welcome. All my friends seems to know only about Allions and Premios.

audi has the lowest second hand value out of the luxury cars

well, for starters he's not you. He doesnt get his kink on by going to T0y0ta L@nka and asking for vehicle prices.

Well, getting back to the OP's question, its hard to give an opinion based on your situation. Just me thinking out loud:

For starters if you're going to be driven in the car rather than drive it most of the time you should probably think of the A6 than the A4.. All said and done its a bigger car and will have better rear passenger, and the extra weight of the car will make it a bit smoother too. And going to the UK often would be very helpful in sourcing parts, so that's another reason to go FOR an Audi.

But if it's your driver who's going to maintain the car and he's not into the mechanics much, then you might want to stick to a Japanese brand which cant go wrong. You dont want you're car developing some glitch while you're out of the country and the driver takes it to his friend the bus mechanic to sort it out, and it ends up worse.

Well IMHO if you are not really going to be driving that would mean that you wont have time to do maintenance either and on euros they bite back very hard when they are not properly serviced. I would say the sensible thing for you to do is to put the money in the bank or invest in stocks or something (or any other that gets you a monthly/annual income, you get the idea) and actually to rent a good car from that money for the period you are here. Just doing the math if you put an FD for all 5Mn you should get a good hefty 600,000 at the end of the year which would be more than enough to rent a good car for only a couple of months. My previous thoughts are based on the assumption that you wont be living in SL for the entire year.

• Like 2

Well IMHO if you are not really going to be driving that would mean that you wont have time to do maintenance either and on euros they bite back very hard when they are not properly serviced. I would say the sensible thing for you to do is to put the money in the bank or invest in stocks or something (or any other that gets you a monthly/annual income, you get the idea) and actually to rent a good car from that money for the period you are here. Just doing the math if you put an FD for all 5Mn you should get a good hefty 600,000 at the end of the year which would be more than enough to rent a good car for only a couple of months. My previous thoughts are based on the assumption that you wont be living in SL for the entire year.

+1.

Actually you can make it to nearly 700,000 still using a very trusted place to deposit.

I think I second GTAm. My own experience is if a car is not being used regularly they tend to give a lot of problems when they need to work. This goes for Japanese cars as well (speaking from personal experience) but I think the European car's will suffer more, particularly because of our salty air, humidity, monsoon and high heat things tend to deteriorate rather quickly if not being used (relays rust, engine insides void of oil rust, fungus and mould develop etc).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi

Sorry for bringing old thread again. I am looking for an Audi A4 these days for my personal use and today went to inspect a car advertised here in Autolanka. But I faced really bad experience there and thought to share it here so othere can avoid such experiences in future.

First of all I called the owner(say) and asked no. of previous owners and whether he is the registered owner or not. For me being a registered owner is vital because otherwise I can't get proper idea about no. of owners and it assured that car is not being passed hand to hand unnecessarily. He said he is second owner and car is registered under his name. Then I decided to go and inspect the car. Apparently car is in good shape. But then i came to know that the car is not registered under his name.  Till that point he claims that the car is under his name and used it to attract potential buyers. 

I decided not to deal with such cheep people and this is good example to show the level of used car market in Sri Lanka. Actually i am not capable of generalized this incident but please be careful when dealing with such sellers. So you can save your precious time. 

http://www.autolanka.com/view/audi/a4/40573.html

Admin please remove this post if it violates any of the ruels in Autolanka forum. 

Thank you