• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2K Paint Drying Time After Painting?

chan5

i got my car buffer and a door painted with 2k paint today.

They didn't have that fancy oven and the painter said i'm ready to go after 2 hours.

Even if it rains.

can somebody tell ME how long it takes to fully dry.

I park at outside my house and am i ok to keep it even if it's rain.

Just 4 hours after paint.

But seriously, why are you painting a car during these rainy days?

having a busy life these days friend.those paintings were collection of several patches hear and there ,

so had NO option free time for wait for good weather friend.

Anyway , managed to keep under a shelter for tonight.

Depending on the weather, it should only take a couple of hours to dry. It does however take a few weeks to fully cure.

thanks mate,didn't want to see bubbles tomorrow morning :) :) .managed to keep under a shelter.

The painter did some finger print test (pressed the finger hard against the paint and showed that there were no finger prints) and convinced me that it's dry.

Didn't feel to believe that 2 hour drying though.

So i have to wait another one week for cut and polish thing according to him . Think the paint is fully healed by then.

Thanks friend

Beauty of 2K paint is you can spray even in a gloomy weather (not in the night / while raining. This can create white maze of harden moisture on the painted area) and also does get dry quickly. However if it withstood against the finger print test, the basic drying is completed. Yet it's not time to fully test the threshold of it until at least a day passes. Give at least a couple of months time before you do a cut 'n polish job on the painted area.

Beauty of 2K paint is you can spray even in a gloomy weather (not in the night / while raining. This can create white maze of harden moisture on the painted area) and also does get dry quickly. However if it withstood against the finger print test, the basic drying is completed. Yet it's not time to fully test the threshold of it until at least a day passes. Give at least a couple of months time before you do a cut 'n polish job on the painted area.

Does the use of an oven speed up this drying process?

i got my car buffer and a door painted with 2k paint today.

They didn't have that fancy oven and the painter said i'm ready to go after 2 hours.

Even if it rains.

can somebody tell ME how long it takes to fully dry.

I park at outside my house and am i ok to keep it even if it's rain.

Just 4 hours after paint.

24hours for normal dry but one month for cut and polish.

'The Don',

Your post means a temperature controlled paint booth. Yes that is the best way to do a good paint job.

The time drying of paint by a chemical reaction rather than evaporation.

Because the paint booth will not have any dirt particles also.

The paint curing time is also can be adjusted spray booth temperature controlled inside according to the paint specifications.

The paint booth will have clean air intake including air replacement rate inside the booth.

The general cleanliness can do the correct job on any weather and humidity.

Correct paint spray gun for the paint the painter has to use for different paints.

Some spry guns have paint to rotate inside the paint container for different paints because they need to be mixed always.

I have had training on paint booth Installing maintaining in a foreign country and installed number of paint booths.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

It speeds up the initial drying proces, which otherwise would take about 24 hours. Again it depends on the thickness of the clear coat. Learnt a good lesson by trying to press the car to test shock absorbers after 24 hours from a 2k paint job of my white 504. It was an extra thick clear coat my painted sprayed and my both palms were printed on top of the fender. :)

Irrespective of using of the oven, it's always recommended to let the 2k paint dry for about one to two months as final result of the cut 'n polish job would be better if you let it dry for longer. This is the recommendation I've heard from many painters. I think it's something to do with settling down of the paint.

My car was just painted yesterday. Used Sikkens 2K products and it was painted in a booth after which it sat there for about an hour under heat. 3 base coats and 2 clear coats were applied and the paint seems to have dried off really quick (in about 12 hours or so). I did the finger print test and the paint was pretty hard, so I have to agree with Harshan on the fast initial drying process.

Also, the painter said that they do a mild cut and polish about 24 hours after the paint job and that it doesn’t affect the finish as the clear coat they’re applying is quite thick. He further stated that the car should not be waxed for at least another month, up until the point where they do the full cut and polish.

My car was just painted yesterday. Used Sikkens 2K products and it was painted in a booth after which it sat there for about an hour under heat. 3 base coats and 2 clear coats were applied and the paint seems to have dried off really quick (in about 12 hours or so). I did the finger print test and the paint was pretty hard, so I have to agree with Harshan on the fast initial drying process.

Also, the painter said that they do a mild cut and polish about 24 hours after the paint job and that it doesn’t affect the finish as the clear coat they’re applying is quite thick. He further stated that the car should not be waxed for at least another month, up until the point where they do the full cut and polish.

about waxing thing my painter gave different opinion , can polish after 3 days.didn't do it though since i'm busy...