• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Small Car For About 2 Million

mimfarook

Question

Hi Guys.

I am looking at buying a small car and my budget is between 2 and 2.2 Million. I am looking at minimum 1000CC preferably 1300CC and has to be YOM after 2003/4. of course japanese is definitely preferred and fuel economy should be good (10+ Km/L)

Appreciate your help.

Edited by mimfarook

@RaSiKa99 - Thanks for your choices but like @Schiffer said EK3,FB15 and Carina will have to be out as they are not small cars.

@ Schiffer - Are you sure that a Honda Fit will be in the range I am looking at?.

From your choices which car would you recommend the most. There are so many people on the forums giving different views and it is very confusing. I am not sure about the passo as u mostly find only the 1000cc ones. I prefer atleast 1300CC.

i have seen some 2002/2003 model honda FIT's advertised for 2.3 - 2.4M try to call em and reduce the price.

From this list, i would go for a Passo.

why?

• Though it has a 1ltr engine. its powerful enough for a small car
  • its spacious enough for a small car
  • Compared to the swift and the cruze the ride is a bit more stable

The Swift/Cruze is my second option, there basically the same car. spares are freely available, u get a rpm meter (u dont get a rpm meter on the passo) and its not a bad car to drive.

@Schiffer. Thanks. I will try to find out about the Fit and also look at the Passo, as the engine is 1000CC wont it be a little challenging when driving outstation specially on the hill station?

BTW Is it true that the Passo comes with a Daihatsu engine some people say its a replica of the Myvi?

Any opinions on the March ak12?

yeap hunt for a fit as well.

the Passo is a very light small car. so the 1000CC engine is enough for it. its not a gutsy engine

it revs a bit but not so bad. u can use it here in the hill country no issues.

and The Myvi is a replica of the passo. not the other way around

Toyota owns daihatsu. so there is nothing wrong with that.

About the AK12. i havent used it personally but most of the owners are not satisfied with it. hope someone else can fill you up with the k12

• Like 1

@crosswind - Thank you for your opinion. but isnt the Viva's interior plastic too apart from the entire body looking plasticky.. I dont know maybe my perception.

I know viva is a good car and my friend who uses says so but i would prefer a japanese vehicle just to be sure..

moreover am not worried too much about the fuel economy as i would be saving quite a bit of money on the current rent I pay.

I will however keep viva on the list.

Edited by mimfarook

@crosswind - Thank you for your opinion. but isnt the Viva's interior plastic too apart from the entire body looking plasticky.. I dont know maybe my perception.

I know viva is a good car and my friend who uses says so but i would prefer a japanese vehicle just to be sure..

moreover am not worried too much about the fuel economy as i would be saving quite a bit of money on the current rent I pay.

I will however keep viva on the list.

If Japanese made car is a must for you, you may consider Daihatsu Charade L251 (Brand new imported from Japan or Japanese used Daihatsu Mira) too. But brand new Daihatsu Charade came with only manual transmission. (Mira you get Automatic Transmission too)

Perodua Viva / Viva Elite is re-badged model of Daihatsu Charade/Mira and Perodua is made in Malaysia.

I am using a Perodua Viva Elite (We have 3 Viva Elites in the family) and happy with the car. Only major issue found in Viva Elites is shock mounts and Unit#d Mot#rs replaced them under warranty without any hesitation. As Charade/Mira & Viva/Viva Elite has almost same parts (Daihatsu), Charade owners also use Perodua Spares. Viva Elite Spares can buy from Thai Motors at reasonable price.

Daihatsu Charade

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=108715

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=106609

Daihatsu Mira

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=105583

If you go for a Viva, go for VIva 1000cc or Viva Elite(All Viva Elites are 1000cc only) as Viva has 660cc and 800cc versions too.

Viva Elites has more features than Charade/Mira. (Example: Viva Elite has RPM meter and it is absent in Charade/Mira)

Regarding said models,all Daihatsu Charade / Daihatsu Mira / Perodua Viva 1000cc / Perodua Viva Elite has same engine ; that is Daihatsu EJ-VE.

http://www.daihatsu.lk/technology_variation.htm

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

My recomendation is Chevrolet cruze, 'cos I used one for about three years. It's a pretty reliable hatchback model. It suits to your budjet also (2004 model around 2.0 - 2.2M) and parts match with swifts parts and the engine is 1.3CC. I dont have experience with other models.

Thanks everyone for your comments.. I have been discussing with a few friends and relatives and they tell me now to even consider a carina..i have seen quite a few carina's on here as well as other sites and the owners are quoting about 2.4-2.6 M for a 2000 TI model.

do you think carina would be a better option than the passo or the swift?

if so what should be my asking price for the above year and model?

I would say for the investment, it isn't worth it. Granted Carinas/Coronas have the same options that G grade 141s do (and no, wanker mirrors, intelligent keys, button lock etc are not essential functions), they're overpriced. The Chevy Cruze is a nice distinct looking vehicle IMO, the Passo isn't bad either but the interior is quite spartan and lacking in options when comparing with the Swift/Cruze. In the end, it is your decision, but I do suggest you drive each vehicle and form your own opinion. Don't discount the Toyota Duet either, which is a rebadged Daihatsu Storia.

And remember, if you do decide on an older car, check the service history.

the carina and the other options are like papol and oranges. the carina is not a small car compared to others.

i will defa go for a carina, its more spacious and the facelift carina is a very stable car compared to others. but its no where near a small car

• Like 1

@terrabytetango - Hmm. only reason i was told to consider carina was that although it is old it is still a very reliable car and with space, comfort, ease of spares, and even resale value it is still worth the investment.

I am also looking at the swift

@Schiffer - I do understand that it is not a small car but am trying to listen to peoples advise as to getting a vehicle which would be worth the investment

@terrabytetango - Hmm. only reason i was told to consider carina was that although it is old it is still a very reliable car and with space, comfort, ease of spares, and even resale value it is still worth the investment.

I am also looking at the swift

@Schiffer - I do understand that it is not a small car but am trying to listen to peoples advise as to getting a vehicle which would be worth the investment

If those people who advised you, told you to buy a Carina cuz its a great "small" car then they have no idea what a small car is :speechless-smiley-004::speechless-smiley-004:

@Magnum - LMAO, its not the case of small car. They were suggesting that I look beyond a small car and consider a sedan like Carina which may be a better investment than a newer smaller car.

Ah, you are one of those people who think that a car you use everyday should be an appreciating investment than a depreciating asset. Good to have that clear. Carry on then.

Ah, you are one of those people who think that a car you use everyday should be an appreciating investment than a depreciating asset. Good to have that clear. Carry on then.

Isn't that how it works here anyway - at least people seem to think that way :/

Lots of people. Useless wasting brainpower thinking of something good for them, just select appropriate sized Toyota and move on to other subjects.

True.

On the other hand this means that some good vehicles are comparatively cheaper because the herd hasn't noticed them / doesn't see value in them.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

sorry for the delay.. but thank you all for your feedback..

after considering everything you all said and taking the feedback from my relatives, I finally decided to go with a Swift.

so far I am enjoying the ride and hope that this continues..