• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nick Names For Cars In Sl

Hola

Hi All,

You guys have noticed that there are nicknames for cars in Sri Lanka. Like below

Pajero 86 Model - Palath Sabha Model, Becuase once it was all used by Palatha Sabha ministers

Hiace 79 Model - Rukmani Devi Model, its self explained

Delica 79/80 Model - JR Face Model, CENSORED

Nissan Sunny FB13 - Doctor Sunny, Becuase this was once a mania for all doctors to import through their duty free permits

Nissan Sunny FB14 - I realy cannot post the nickname in a public forum but i can say the 1st word "kukul" :D

Minor - Kane Mile , dont know hyh and not sure whether it was for the minor

So do you guys have those to share through this thread....

Hola

Before I forget...

Toyota Hiace - Dolphin , i dunno why they call it...

Edited by Hola

Minor - Kane Mile , dont know hyh and not sure whether it was for the minor

So do you guys have those to share through this thread....

Machang kane mile is the VW Beetle.

There were also,

Lancer Attanayake model then ASP model.

Sunny B210 - Batu Sunny

Machang kane mile is the VW Beetle.

There were also,

Lancer Attanayake model then ASP model.

Sunny B210 - Batu Sunny

There is also the

Lancer eye light model

Lancer flat L light model

Lancer tube light model

all the above were based on the tail light shape of the cars produced between 1973 -1979

then we have the Lancer Box

Lancer box red beeding model

Lancer box fog lamp shell model (fog lamps in grill)

there is also the less known Lancer Benz light model (tail lights were similar to the benz)

i think the Rukamani Devi model van is the old Mitsubishi Delica (2 round lights in front) and not the Toyota Hiace,pls clarrify if im wrong folk

btw,do other countries have such nick names for cars??? any ideas?

It is quite humorous I must say.

No such names in our market. We generally refer by the model name or number.

However, Japanese imports into other Southern African countries are known in general as "Fong Kong". Slang for import. No imports are allowed in South Africa.

Lancer C11 Station Wagon (not the car) was called Attanayake Model - YOM circa 1986-1987

Toyota Hi Ace LH20 was called Rukmani Devi Model YOM 1977-1982

Mitsubishi Delica YOM circa 1969 - 1975 was called Wanduru Moona (Monkey face) Model

Nissan Sunny HB12 is known as Trad Sunny YOM 1987-1991

Nissan Serenas are known as "Sadahatama Oba Mage" (Mine forever)

Daihatsu Charade G200 1992-1999 are known as Egg-shape charade. Model just before that was known as 'Honda Light' Charade

Honda C90/Yamaha Mate motorbike is known as Thapal 90

All mopeds are generally known as 'Maduruwa' (Mosquito)

The one before shell model Hiace would be LH40 - Hiace commuter is that the Gona Model?

Some more ...

Mitsubishi Rosa buses made during late eighties to mid nineties were affectionately known as 'Baby Rosa'

There was a box-shaped Fuso single door bus made in the late 80's, known as Petti-Fuso or literally Petti Pooso

Toyota Coaster buses that are currently being imported are known as 'Bola Coaster'

There is also a 'Sinha Moona' Vanette but not sure which model is this and there's also a 'Bongo Vanette' (This is actually a rebadged Mazda Bongo so that wouldn't really qualify as a nick name)

And we also have a lorry called 'Mukkan Moona' TATA.

The latest of vehicle nicks is probably the nick given to the Mini Truck launched by TATA in 2005, officially named TATA Ace and known in Sri Lanka as 'D*MO Batta'.

Edited by Crosswind

Some more ...

Mitsubishi Rosa buses made during late eighties to mid nineties were affectionately known as 'Baby Rosa'

There was a box-shaped Fuso single door bus made in the late 80's, known as Petti-Fuso or literally Petti Pooso

Toyota Coaster buses that are currently being imported are known as 'Bola Coaster'

There is also a 'Sinha Moona' Vanette but not sure which model is this and there's also a 'Bongo Vanette' (This is actually a rebadged Mazda Bongo so that wouldn't really qualify as a nick name)

And we also have a lorry called 'Mukkan Moona' TATA.

The latest of vehicle nicks is probably the nick given to the Mini Truck launched by TATA in 2005, officially named TATA Ace and known in Sri Lanka as 'D*MO Batta'.

Damn good stuff bro!

i almost forgot there is a honda civic "ferrari" model too :rolleyes:

Hi All, New to the forums. Thought this a nice topic to start off with.

Just a thought, but could "Ferrari" model actualy refer to ferrio?

:rolleyes: