• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nick Names For Cars In Sl

Hola

Wouldn't suprise me, knowing our buggers.

BTW, Welcome to AL.

Thanks.

Hey I think everyones forgotten the "Patti Light" Nissan B14...........Unless I missed it somewhere up there.

Can't forget the "Upali Fiat" and the "Upali Mazda", both of which were built here somewhere in the 70's by the Upali group...........Hence the name.

Wouldn't suprise me, knowing our buggers.

BTW, Welcome to AL.

yeah a friend of mine who knows very little about cars came up to me and asked from me how much is a Honda Civic Ferrari model :rolleyes: ... no wonder he was refering to the Ferio :angry:

This is OT, but how many of you have seen a Nissan CIMA 4Ltr V8 in kollu?

no but i have seen a slk200 in my office :lol:

Just out of curiosity.....Is the VW Beetle that we all know actualy an official name or is it also a nickname? Havnt noticed a badge saying Beetle..so I am assuming its a nick....not quite sure though....If it is...its prolly the most famous nickname for cars

Just out of curiosity.....Is the VW Beetle that we all know actualy an official name or is it also a nickname? Havnt noticed a badge saying Beetle..so I am assuming its a nick....not quite sure though....If it is...its prolly the most famous nickname for cars

machang good question.....and the name evolved so much that we have March beetle model too

The Beetle was originally called the VW Type 1, but since the 60's it has been officially called the Beetle worldwide.

As for the "March" Beetle, well that's just Sri Lanka.

We also have the "Box Model" Benz.

And the "Farina" Model Benz. This is only because it has fins. The internatinal nick name is "Fintail". But we Sri Lankans had other ideas.

During the same era 1950s and 60s Fins were the in things introduced by Harley Earl on GMs American cars. And then in Europe the Italian Design house Pininfarina put fins on lots of Brit cars, like the Autin cambridge, Morris Oxford. And also on the Peugeot 404.

Of course other manufacturers also went for fins. Like the Sunbeam Alpine and the Benzs. So as usual Sri Lankans generalized fins as Farina cars :D !

There are nicknames all over the world. The Original Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider is refered to as the "Boat-tail" for it's pointy rear end. The series 2 is called the cam tail for it's squared off back side.

And then every Off Roader or SUV is a JEEP in Sri Lanka. PPL for get that that's a Brand name and not a type of vehicle. And some folk call it a JIP :rolleyes: !!! "Jip ekata naginna"

And.....I just remembered people sometimes call COUPEs; Coopers as in Mini Cooper.

Oh and there are our "Batta" Vans!

The first Delica was also called "Kichi Kichi" Model :lol: as the suspension squeeks were impossible to get rid off.

And I hear a lot of older folk talk about "Dandu" Fords.

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the

Lancer eye light model

Lancer flat L light model

Lancer tube light model

all the above were based on the tail light shape of the cars produced between 1973 -1979

then we have the Lancer Box

Lancer box red beeding model

Lancer box fog lamp shell model (fog lamps in grill)

there is also the less known Lancer Benz light model (tail lights were similar to the benz)

i think the Rukamani Devi model van is the old Mitsubishi Delica (2 round lights in front) and not the Toyota Hiace,pls clarrify if im wrong folk

btw,do other countries have such nick names for cars??? any ideas?

Rukmani devi model is not delica its Hiace. very first Hiace. Reason was she died while travelling in a Hiace of that model.

Thought to flush out some nick names I had..

Nissan

Sunny

B110 - Batu Sunny

B210/B211 (both are morelikely same except for few changes in engine and shell) - "Kupadi" Sunny

(reason was the rear seat isn't much visible to the outside)

B12 - Trad Sunny

B13 - Doctor Sunny

B14 - early model - Gona model

Vannette

Early model with 4 lights called "samanala muuna"

Latest Vannette is being called "Bongo" vannette

Mitsubishi

Delica T120 - Kichi Kichi delica and there was an early version of it with big 2 head lamps called JR Face

Delica L300 second generation - There are two versions call "Uda Pedal" and "Yata Pedal" defining the foot pedal orientation

Delica L300 third generation - PO5

J24 - hardtop model called "Manthri Model"

Pajero 1st gen - palathsabha

Pajero 2nd gen - computer body often called V sticker

Rosa

2nd Gen - Baby rosa

3rd Gen - Bola rosa

Toyota

Hiace

1st generation - Rukmani Model

3rd Generation - shell model

4th Generation - famous "dolphin" model

Light Ace / Town Ace

Townace CR27 called townace dolphin model

CR36/CM36 called lotto model since they were brand new imported for lottary board and used in lottery esp lotto sales

Coster

latest model call - Bola coster

Peugeot

504 post 1974 models - "Clip model" reason was the lifting type door handles

Austin 1100 - "Gedi model" - coz of the air/grease filled hydolastic suspension system

isuzu

Fargo

2nd generation often after 52-XXXX reg number with angel shaped headlamps called - "Maalu ehe" means fish eyes.

Elf

1sr gen called 'Samanala muuna' some ppl call this as 'Wanduru muuna'

BMC lorry called 'Wanduru muna'

Morris

Minor 1000 with lower head lamps eary model called 'Bassa Model'

TATA 909 - Baby Tata

ever heard of the 'rivet journey' bus? :jumping-smiley-013:

sri lanka is sooo unique :D Eheehe !!!

some version of the sunny was called 'dhiga bupper'?

Yes it was Sunny HB11 had long bumpers and long rear lights

• 4 years later...

Found this interesting topic discussed a while ago, and thought of adding a few stuff that are not already there.

- The 2nd Gen Montero is called "Mahattaya model"

- The fiat 500 (1950's) was called "bug fiat" (probably common in other countries too.)

And nice nicknames are used for to indicate the options / aftermarket additions as well

- Boku alloy wheels

- Center Antenna (for the Suzuki Swift)

- Cup holder model (for Nissan March K11 YOM 2000- but apparently previous models too had a cup holder)

- Rotatable seats (often quoted as "rotate sheets")

- Uda dunu model (for lorries - may be the type of chassis)

- Molli engine. (???)