• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 306 Hdi (Diesel Turbo)

chamath1

Question

Hi guys,

I'm trying to buy a Peugeot 306 HDI which is the last variant of 306 Tubo Diesel hatchbacks. The reason why I thought of buying is that it's supposed to be one of the top performance diesel cars.

Here is a link to that fact.

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/04/12/15-best-performance-diesel-cars/2/http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/04/12/15-best-performance-diesel-cars/2/

Yesterday morning I got to drive a Manual Honda VIRS and couple of hours later one of these beauties. When I went for a test drive I could hear a distinct screaming sound of a turbo and suddenly felt as if it was a Vtec car. This is actualy an economical choice for a speed hungry enthusiasts.

I've driven cars like SU14s, Custom tuned Diesel Galants but this vehicle purely performed like a gasoline engine that has a turbo sound of an old school Volkswagon Beetle engine :P

But the one I'm gonna buy has several drawbacks...

The AC didn't cool properly, when I checked the documents it was repaired once every two years (there were 4-5 receipts of AC repair)

Headlights didn't work even though the emergency headlamp switch worked.

Horn worked fine during the test drive but after a couple of hours it didn't work.

Are these serious issues? Google gave me this answer.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090705191438AABgpVw

My guess is some faulty with the fusebox. Am I right?

plus I didn't like the fact that it's clutch was cable based ones not electronical. Is that something I should seriouly concider?

23 answers to this question

Is it a sky blue one or the gold color one?

If its the gold colour one did you check the registration docs properly ?

Have only seen 2 white color petrol 306 xsi hatchbacks.

Edited by pug306xsi

Chamith,

Yes CM was expensive from the inception. From 1940s.There are enough people who will help you in spares.

Air lifting, them, number of dealers selling used spars, in Colombo.

I will give a brief history of Peugeot. in Sri lanka.

Peugeot Diesel engines vehicles, first came to S L far back in 31 Sri vehicles. Most were imported from Singapore.

All had 4 cylinders. Non of them are on the SL roads today.

Most of them were Ceylonese who was out of the country for scholar ships. That engine had a failure after 30000 miles.

There was a compression CM imported Single cabs for plantation sector.

They too had the same inherited problem.problem had to push start every morning after said mileage.

Even CM failed to rectify same. I was informed this problem by, CM due to high revolutions only the engine starts.

There fore I did a modification on the starter motor and rectify same. which was very cheap under 200/= Rupees.

Today DIESEL Peugeot vehicle come, with advanced developed engines.

Most of our mechanics can handle them satisfactory.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Yep the gold one. But today I just got information that that there is a big issue with the ration of spare parts and can be maintained only by Car Mart and i supposed to be very expensive. Is that true?

This is completely BS. Peugeots of these generations have been maintained better elsewhere than from CarM*rt. This shares the same HDi engine of 406 and has ample spare parts supply.

however, this gold color 306 HDi hatch has rather an unfortunate history. In its early life, it was a 306 sedan. Rear ended and re-born as a hatch.

However, I've seen the price quoted in hita** and it's a very tempting price for a car of that nature.

The electrical issues you mentioned could be no brainer for an expert to sort out. The horn has been re-wired to the multifunction stalk for the setup when I checked it last time about 8 months back.

This is completely BS. Peugeots of these generations have been maintained better elsewhere than from CarM*rt. This shares the same HDi engine of 406 and has ample spare parts supply.

however, this gold color 306 HDi hatch has rather an unfortunate history. In its early life, it was a 306 sedan. Rear ended and re-born as a hatch.

However, I've seen the price quoted in hita** and it's a very tempting price for a car of that nature.

The electrical issues you mentioned could be no brainer for an expert to sort out. The horn has been re-wired to the multifunction stalk for the setup when I checked it last time about 8 months back.

FYI, I got the information from a current 306 diesel user in Kandy. Are you telling me that you used to own a 306 or did you get to repair it? and what did you meant by saying In its early life, it was a 306 sedan. Rear ended and re-born as a hatch" ?

Edited by chamath1

FYI, I got the information from a current 306 diesel user in Kandy. Are you telling me that you used to own a 306 or did you get to repair it?

There are quite a few pug dealers in panchikawatte and a few independent dealers as well.

• Like 1

FYI, I got the information from a current 306 diesel user in Kandy. Are you telling me that you used to own a 306 or did you get to repair it?

Neither. But I'm very much aware of the availability of spares and expertise for Peugeots. :)

I understand the plight of a 306 user from Kandy. But with the amount of Peugeot specialized workshops around Colombo, it would be completely different for someone who's living around Colombo.

Again, there's no magic in 306 HDi as it's got the SAME engine as 406 HDi including electrics.

Yep the gold one. But today I just got information that that there is a big issue with the ration of spare parts and can be maintained only by Car Mart and i supposed to be very expensive. Is that true?

:sport-smiley-004:

That is total BS as Harshan mentioned.

Wonder which repair he got done that only Car M could have done?

What did the car registration say? Sedan or Hatch back?

I was told about the front bushes that they wear out quite quickly, I think you can't match those exact bushes with the 406 right? Correct me if I'm wrong please can you tell me if this is an expensive choice compared to a second hand Japanese vehicle? For an example.. Mitsubishi galant?

FYI it's a Hatchback.

Edited by chamath1

Isn't that a rather expensive and meaningless surgery on that car? Any particular reason why it went through that (instead of getting an original butt).?

Isn't that a rather expensive and meaningless surgery on that car? Any particular reason why it went through that (instead of getting an original butt).?

Maybe he liked Hatchbacks? and its rare to find a 306 Hatch?

What i heard was the car was completely crashed not only the back.

Edited by pug306xsi

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crosswind" data-cid="241876" data-time="1370942715"><p>

<br />

Isn't that a rather expensive and meaningless surgery on that car? Any particular reason why it went through that (instead of getting an original butt).?</p></blockquote>

Don't know reasons but fact is fact. Enough of washing dirty clothes in public. :)

But on a serious note, that was perfect job done by whoever did that.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="chamath1" data-cid="241885" data-time="1370945492"><p>

Are you seriously telling me that it was a Sedan converted to a hatchback? :D Am I dreaming? LOL!! <br />

<br />

Hell I wouldn't pay 1.5M for something like that :P</p></blockquote>

Wasn't the asking price around 1.3 mil mark?

FYI, I got the information from a current 306 diesel user in Kandy. Are you telling me that you used to own a 306 or did you get to repair it? and what did you meant by saying In its early life, it was a 306 sedan. Rear ended and re-born as a hatch" ?

Chamath, I think Harshan will excuse you since you are a newbie. But he is the resident Pug expert and you will do well to listen to his advise.

I think 306 are a little rare outside say France. The preference was for the Hatchback. Maybe the owner was only able to locate a Hatchback body most probably exported from the UK.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Crosswind" data-cid="241876" data-time="1370942715"><p>

<br />

Isn't that a rather expensive and meaningless surgery on that car? Any particular reason why it went through that (instead of getting an original butt).?</p></blockquote>

Don't know reasons but fact is fact. Enough of washing dirty clothes in public. :)

But on a serious note, that was perfect job done by whoever did that.

Need to find the bodyworks guy!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Don" data-cid="242083" data-time="1371124648"><p>

I think 306 are a little rare outside say France. The preference was for the Hatchback. Maybe the owner was only able to locate a Hatchback body most probably exported from the UK. </p></blockquote>

306 hatches are popular in UK afaik. So your logic makes sense I guess