• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Garage Around Colombo To Change Atf

Amal_SL

Can anyone please suggest a good place around Colombo (preferably, around Mt. Lavinia, Wellawatta, Dehiwala) to change ATF.

How much will it cost? According to the car manual, my car needs 7.7 litres of oil.

It is okay to just drain and refill? One place did suggest that as a low cost alternative, but I doubt it might leave some dirty oil inside. They said draining would require half of the oil required for flushing.

Cheers!

Depending on the current status of your auto-box you can do one of the followings.

1. Just open the plug drain some oil and fill up. This will leave half the oil behind and hence not worth the effort although it costs you the least. As jdnet says it is a job half done.

2. In addition to 1 above remove the sump cover underneath the box, clean the sump and the magnets taking extreme care to prevent contamination by dust or other particles (if possible use lint-free cleaning papers to wipe). Replace the filter (screen) if not done for a long time. Fix every thing back and refill. But this again will leave around 1.5L of used oil mainly inside the torque converter. It is not a problem if your existing oil is still in good condition or if you do the same thing after another 20K kms.

3. Depending on the age of your box and how it had been maintained in the past you can do an oil change using a auto oil changer either with or without the step 2 above. In either case this method can remove most of the oil from the box but it will be the most expensive approach. However, I feel it is better to take out the sump for cleaning if it had not been done on the last oil change.

• Like 1

Depending on the current status of your auto-box you can do one of the followings.

1. Just open the plug drain some oil and fill up. This will leave half the oil behind and hence not worth the effort although it costs you the least. As jdnet says it is a job half done.

2. In addition to 1 above remove the sump cover underneath the box, clean the sump and the magnets taking extreme care to prevent contamination by dust or other particles (if possible use lint-free cleaning papers to wipe). Replace the filter (screen) if not done for a long time. Fix every thing back and refill. But this again will leave around 1.5L of used oil mainly inside the torque converter. It is not a problem if your existing oil is still in good condition or if you do the same thing after another 20K kms.

3. Depending on the age of your box and how it had been maintained in the past you can do an oil change using a auto oil changer either with or without the step 2 above. In either case this method can remove most of the oil from the box but it will be the most expensive approach. However, I feel it is better to take out the sump for cleaning if it had not been done on the last oil change.

The best method is No.2 as mentioned above as no other method is going to remove the deposits on the magnets, filters and any sludge settled on the base of the sump.

I the issue with the exchangers is that they seem to damage the valves. I know of a few service stations which have stopped using the exchangers they have but rely on flushing the new fluid instead. This obviously requires a lot more fluid!

But I find that with the auto we have 4L of BP brand ATF fluid is the same price as 1L of Suzukis own fluid at 4000 odd. So even if it takes double the fluid its still significantly cheaper than the 20K prices some of the guys are reporting.

I the issue with the exchangers is that they seem to damage the valves. I know of a few service stations which have stopped using the exchangers they have but rely on flushing the new fluid instead. This obviously requires a lot more fluid!

But I find that with the auto we have 4L of BP brand ATF fluid is the same price as 1L of Suzukis own fluid at 4000 odd. So even if it takes double the fluid its still significantly cheaper than the 20K prices some of the guys are reporting.

Correct. There have been claims of damage due to ATF exchangers but I do not see how that can happen, at least in theory, as long as the correct fluid level is maintained throughout the procedure. Appreciate if someone can comment on this.

Edited by Rumesh88

I was quoted Rs16000 by A*t* M***J, and Rs10000 by L**G*S service centre Kohuwala, both using generic ATF for my Civic ES8, but I eventually ended up getting it done through the Honda agent with genuine Honda ATF for Rs5850.

In fact I too got an estimation from AutoMiraj. They provided The two options which are made the objective topics for this thread.

Option #1 Rs. 32,000 to flush using machine

Option #2 Rs. 15,000 to drain and top up.

What I'm looking is trustworthy place to get the work done at a reasonable cost.

It's good to hear you got reasonable price from the agent, but I doubt if I can expect the same with the Nissan agent. Once they charged me Rs. 900 to change the battery of the car key which took only five minutes and the battery was brought by me from outside.

Sorry for asking why using lint free cloth in AT gear box. In the manual also says but doesn't say why? But no such thing mentioned in check engine oil. Is that thing so serious?

Can be serious! What you have in the AT box is a screen that would filter out bit of large particles and a couple of magnets to capture ferrous shavings (small to big) from moving parts. Whereas in the engine oil path you get a paper filter which can filter out even very small particles (this is why you need to replace them often). Also we do not intend to fiddle with a auto tranny for a couple of years after an oil change. Hence, one should take every possible precaution to prevent contaminating the auto box.

In fact I too got an estimation from AutoMiraj. They provided The two options which are made the objective topics for this thread. Option #1 Rs. 32,000 to flush using machine Option #2 Rs. 15,000 to drain and top up. What I'm looking is trustworthy place to get the work done at a reasonable cost. It's good to hear you got reasonable price from the agent, but I doubt if I can expect the same with the Nissan agent. Once they charged me Rs. 900 to change the battery of the car key which took only five minutes and the battery was brought by me from outside.

The nissan agent in my experience is fairly reasonable. I suggest you get a quote from them. The ATF I bought for the Suzuki was also from the Nissan agent as they are agents for Suzuki too (though it was at a different work shop).

i have done ATF full exchanges at home every 20k-30k miles. My car is currently at 140k miles and still shifts seamlessly. i have towed a 18 foot boat, a ford expedition, motorcycles, trees....what ever life throws at me with my 98 toy Avalon.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had ATF changed in my car from Laughs Kohuwala.

Oil drained and the sump was dismantled. Unfortunately the filter couldn't be removed because of one stubborn bolt. But anyway the magnates and the sump cover was cleaned.

Five liters of BG oil needed to refill the gearbox.

It cost only Rs 11,000/= for oil and labour charges.

I'm satisfied with service too.

Guys need help with Corolla 121. Where I can change ATF in KANDY area.

Also I'm new to 121 and AUtomatic boxes. What oil I should use? And average cost?

Edit : Last oil change done by the previous owner About 7, 8 months ago. I'm giving this to a friend who will do about 2000Km per month. So thought of doing an ATF change before it.

Edited by MkX

Guys need help with Corolla 121. Where I can change ATF in KANDY area.

Also I'm new to 121 and AUtomatic boxes. What oil I should use? And average cost?

Edit : Last oil change done by the previous owner About 7, 8 months ago. I'm giving this to a friend who will do about 2000Km per month. So thought of doing an ATF change before it.

Today I saw Toyota ATF oil 4 litre can for Rs. 5450 at an oil seller.