• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any One Experienced In Coverting Rav4 2011/12 5 Seater To 7 Seaters

Team,

I am planning to buy a 2011 -2012 RAV4 through a permit and planning to covert it to 7 seater. Do anyone see any disadvantage other than reducing the cargo space?

Anyone tried it before , please share your experiences?

This is due to my budget availability for a SUV for less than 5 mil and need Suv with 7 seater

Edited by Aravinda_2011

uhh....ok...so this is the millionth time I am probably saying the same thing...but here goes...

the 2005-2013 RAV4 comes in two variants....the long wheelbase and short wheel base. In some markets you get the long wheel base and in some the short. In Japan you get the short wheel base as the RAV4 and the long wheel base as the Vanguard.

The Vanguard comes in 5 seater or 7 seater variants. So if you get a long wheel base RAV4 from some other market (like Australia) or a 5 seater Vanguard then you might be able to pull of a 5 to 7 seat conversion.

But if you get the short wheel base RAV4 I don't think the the conversion is going to be practical as even after sacrificing the ENTIRE cargo area and pushing forward the front seat to its maximum you are not going to have enough leg room. It is quite hard to get in to the back seats of a Vanguard so can't even imagine how toughit willbe to crawl in to the back of a RAV4.

Also by doing this non-factory like conversion to a vehicle that cannot accommodate it is just going to mess up your car...it is probably going to be ugly as it is going to be tough to set the seats up so that they can be folded under the cargo floor when you want to use the cargo area. So it is either going to be just sitting there or folded in some wierd way. At the end of the day you are going to spoil a good vehicle and reduce its <I can't believe I am saying this> resale value.

Not sure about how the prices in SL are but here in Japan a 2wd Vanguard (which is quite famous here) is around the same price as a 4WD RAV4. So why not see if you can find a base 2WD Vanguard even with a slightly higher mileage within your budget ?

I would basically say the same about a X-Trail...

machan

i dont think there is enough space for a 3rd row seat in rav 4

and you will need cut and weld the body to anchor your seats

safety is another issue, in case of an accident

and the CR (book) will say this is a 5 seater

this might reduce theresale value probably

go for a sorento or a registered montero sport 2011/2012 (that is about 6 million these days may exceed your budget)

otherwise go for a an AVENZA

Edited by priyanka

machan, you should totally install two additional seats in the RAV 4. It is an elakiri idea. Market value increase neda? because 7 seats will carry more people than five. Only an idiot would think you should buy a van. How can you take those 7 people to yala in a van????? plus rav four more comfort than a van. you can even have more than seven peoplr if you had people sitting on each others laps. Don't worry about cargo space. Elcardo can welding a rack onto roof. It's a sira idea machan, plus better look with roof rack. or you can have elcardo remove the spare tire and weld a compartment there to put your baddu in.

machan, you should totally install two additional seats in the RAV 4. It is an elakiri idea. Market value increase neda? because 7 seats will carry more people than five. Only an idiot would think you should buy a van. How can you take those 7 people to yala in a van????? plus rav four more comfort than a van. you can even have more than seven peoplr if you had people sitting on each others laps. Don't worry about cargo space. Elcardo can welding a rack onto roof. It's a sira idea machan, plus better look with roof rack. or you can have elcardo remove the spare tire and weld a compartment there to put your baddu in.

Pau oi! Although I did laugh so hard a shat myself!!

Sensibly, buy a montero. 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor. And "pajero Sanskruthiya" will let you break laws with impunity!