• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw E46 1999- 2003

BAnuradha

The number number of Diesel E46's at Milroy's should tell you to stay away. The same will probably be witnessed with all these 520d's as well. Sad but true. Seems to be a Sri Lanka specific problem, possibly owing to the standards of Diesel we get here.

Get a petrol and be safe(er) :)

Go for a 318i (petrol) facelift .. u neednt to worry that much about power and if you could find a manual it will be ideal since it does better on fuel than the auto. Well you can buy a diesel for a lesser price but the price depriciation is high and the maintainensce cost also is slightly high in a diesel . :)

• Like 1

Go for a 318i (petrol) facelift .. u neednt to worry that much about power and if you could find a manual it will be ideal since it does better on fuel than the auto. Well you can buy a diesel for a lesser price but the price depriciation is high and the maintainensce cost also is slightly high in a diesel . :)

How about the fuel consumption of 318i (petrol) manual? It does need super petrol or normal? Also milroy is the only person who does maintenance of BMW other than the agent?

How about the fuel consumption of 318i (petrol) manual? It does need super petrol or normal? Also milroy is the only person who does maintenance of BMW other than the agent?

i) well the manual does about 9 -9.50 in urban driving and does about 12 outside city, on long drives..

it does about 14 in the highway.

ii) currently to my knowledge no one other than milroy does it in grand scale ..

mine did about 12-14 outstation & 8-9 in town. Apparently there are few garages doing BMW maintenance in SL, i will inbox u some details. befor buying a E46 check the level of oil after a testdrive or two if you see a drop, then stay away from that vehicle because it has to go tru an engine overhaul.

i) well the manual does about 9 -9.50 in urban driving and does about 12 outside city, on long drives..

it does about 14 in the highway.

ii) currently to my knowledge no one other than milroy does it in grand scale ..

Machan i exactly had the same figures. The funny part was, a garage person asked about the petrol consumption & when i said it does about 12-14 he didn't believe me & said it wont do anything more than 6-8.. lol :D

Machan i exactly had the same figures. The funny part was, a garage person asked about the petrol consumption & when i said it does about 12-14 he didn't believe me & said it wont do anything more than 6-8.. lol :D

:D .. well I got the oppotunity to prove few of my friends wrong few years back and got a full tank of petrol free :)... and thank for acknowledging

• Like 1

BMW gets more efficiency out of their engines than nearly every other manufacturer. The fuel economy is quite good considering the weight of the car (good solid build quality).

Could somebody advise me as to what problems the older Diesels seem to have in SL. I assume you guys are not talking about the common rail. I ask not because of a facination with the diesel but because they are more freeely available.

Go for petrols.... they are less headaches to maintain and wonderful to drive depending on the engine capacity and options lists.... You should get just over 9-10 in the city and 15+ outstation... I am telling you through the experience of driving a 1.9ltr, 4 pot and 2.0ltr 6 cylinder... both e46 cars.

Most diesels end up being trouble after they hit a certain age with engine repairs, turbo failures and pump replacements which costs $$$

However, if you are worried about consumption.. that is the least of your worries. As years pass maintenance on these cars are not easy and even the agents don't stock parts (unless they are the usual service parts) My advice, don't buy these cars for fuel efficiency numbers, buy it to enjoy driving them !

Edited by Rukster
  • Like 2