• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Jerks When The Clutch Is Used Too Often

Magnum

Question

This mostly happens in heavy traffic when i use the clutch very frequently to move few centimeters and then to stop. The car jerks as if its not getting enough clutch and i have to hit the clutch and accelerate harder than usual to stop it from stalling but once you shift from 1st to other gears it works fine, yes it works fine in when starting from second(probably because i have to use more clutch to start off from second)

11 answers to this question

leak in clutch pump, or clutch pump washer related issue.

in a flat road, try to use clutch frequently as you said (just press several times) and then change the gear to 1st. release all brakes, clutch pedal should be fully pressed. wait 1-2 mins, if your vehicle starts to move then probably above root cause is positive.

This mostly happens in heavy traffic when i use the clutch very frequently to move few centimeters and then to stop. The car jerks as if its not getting enough clutch and i have to hit the clutch and accelerate harder than usual to stop it from stalling but once you shift from 1st to other gears it works fine, yes it works fine in when starting from second(probably because i have to use more clutch to start off from second)

Magnum. I have the exact issue in my car as well ( Except the starting from the 2nd gear part may be). The problem worsens when the engine is cold and the AC is on. Mine is a Petrol car (FB13) btw and it has a cable clutch..

engine/transmission mounts?hotspots in flywheel?for a temporary fix try increasing your throttle cable response,if the clutch peddle is adjustable try that too to where you are comfortable...if your clutch releasing point is near to the top of the peddle try moving your seat backwards a bit till your leg is not curved once you push down the peddle,then you can smooth out the upper portion.if the releasing point is near to the floor try the other way..in traffic your muscles might be getting strained and you may be releasing the clutch too quick...

Gave the car for for cut and polish and for some other visual cures so have to look into this problem only next week.

leak in clutch pump, or clutch pump washer related issue.

in a flat road, try to use clutch frequently as you said (just press several times) and then change the gear to 1st. release all brakes, clutch pedal should be fully pressed. wait 1-2 mins, if your vehicle starts to move then probably above root cause is positive.

Im not sure what type of clutch mine is, have to ask from dad or the mechanic. if its a hydraulic clutch i'll try this

Is yours a cable clutch or hydraulic?

Whats the difference? well mine anyway works differently from other normal clutches. i dont have to push it all the way down, just have to hit it a bit like half way down and thats enough to change a gear

Magnum. I have the exact issue in my car as well ( Except the starting from the 2nd gear part may be). The problem worsens when the engine is cold and the AC is on. Mine is a Petrol car (FB13) btw and it has a cable clutch..

Yes A/C works fine, cant really comment about when the engine is cold cuz mine stays cold(not warm, near the C are in the temperature gauge) ) most of the time unless i rev it like mad or use the A/C when its idle for a long time

engine/transmission mounts?hotspots in flywheel?for a temporary fix try increasing your throttle cable response,if the clutch peddle is adjustable try that too to where you are comfortable...if your clutch releasing point is near to the top of the peddle try moving your seat backwards a bit till your leg is not curved once you push down the peddle,then you can smooth out the upper portion.if the releasing point is near to the floor try the other way..in traffic your muscles might be getting strained and you may be releasing the clutch too quick...

I adjusted the mounts recently so have to check the flywheel

I'm not mechanically fluent to describe the differences between cable and hydraulic, but one way of checking would be the presence of a cylinder near the clutch pedal firewall. If there is one, it's hydraulic, if not, it's cable. (unless I'm hillariously wrong!!)