• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Import A Car From Sri Lanka To Japan (Not A Misprint)

john cooper

Hello everyone

My brother wanted to import our iconic car which represent 3 generations :smilie_liebe9: it’s a Morris Minor 1000 Original convertible (1 Sri 804)

Originally bought by my Grandfather from company and still we got the paper works with us that shows the price 4250/= . And it’s a sweet memory for everyone in our family chain.

Car transferred from the grandfather to my Mother and then from her to My Brother but he permanently living in Japan and wanted to take the car if possible to Japan,

If you guys have any sort of a experience or details please pass it, ill add the photos of the car as soon as i get it.

Thank you

Hello everyone

My brother wanted to import our iconic car which represent 3 generations :smilie_liebe9: it’s a Morris Minor 1000 Original convertible (1 Sri 804)

Originally bought by my Grandfather from company and still we got the paper works with us that shows the price 4250/= . And it’s a sweet memory for everyone in our family chain.

Car transferred from the grandfather to my Mother and then from her to My Brother but he permanently living in Japan and wanted to take the car if possible to Japan,

If you guys have any sort of a experience or details please pass it, ill add the photos of the car as soon as i get it.

Thank you

Not possible. The law does not allow anyone to export old cars from SL.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Not possible. The law does not allow anyone to export old cars from SL.

Yes I think there was specific law passed about old cars. Because most classic and vintage cars has historic value behind it, now its prohibitted to export them.

I think this is possible under a special permit from Department of Import Export Control, if I am not mistaken. Because you can prove this vehicle is with your family for a longer period.

Please contact Import and Export Control Department of the Government of Sri Lanka.

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/web/index.php

• Like 1

I think this is possible under a special permit from Department of Import Export Control, if I am not mistaken. Because you can prove this vehicle is with your family for a longer period.

Please contact Import and Export Control Department of the Government of Sri Lanka.

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/web/index.php

Thank you mate for teh information, ill ask my dad to contact

Like I said, There are certain rules that have been put in place to prevent the export of old cars.

What if the person who holds the title from the first purchase migrates to another country?

If the law says no, it will not be easy to move much further. Especially, the Japanese authorities will require all proper documentation at the point of import.

Maybe you can convince your brother to hand over the car to you :)

The car stays within the family and in Sri Lanka :)

If the law says no, it will not be easy to move much further. Especially, the Japanese authorities will require all proper documentation at the point of import.

Maybe you can convince your brother to hand over the car to you :)

The car stays within the family and in Sri Lanka :)

Sounds like a very good plan :smilie_liebe9: BUT I am a resident in New Zealand so its same for me also

ThTs a good plan too. Gives your bro added reason to visit

Car is with my parents Komi, But my Dad don't want to play with this as our collection is 1959 Minor convertible, 1960 Minor 2 Door and 1993 Mini Cooper and 1957 BSA C12

Every week he need to give wormup run for all the cars + usual repair + Licence so he is sick and tired of it

- Soon mini and Delica P25 will be up on Autolanka, coz no one to lookafter them

Well that's a shame. In that case it is best to try your best. After all, this is Sri Lanka and there are exceptions to everything. You might have to get someone to look around in person. A face to face convo might open up paths that are otherwise hidden.

Car is with my parents Komi, But my Dad don't want to play with this as our collection is 1959 Minor convertible, 1960 Minor 2 Door and 1993 Mini Cooper and 1957 BSA C12

Every week he need to give wormup run for all the cars + usual repair + Licence so he is sick and tired of it

- Soon mini and Delica P25 will be up on Autolanka, coz no one to lookafter them

Why don't u sell the Mini to me for a reasonable price ;)?

I am trying to get my '59 Willys CJ5 across to NZ and its ok with the NZ authorities BUT the SL authorities (RMV) have classified all vehicles over 40 years as "National Heritage" and they are not allowed to be taken out of the country.

Well that's a shame. In that case it is best to try your best. After all, this is Sri Lanka and there are exceptions to everything. You might have to get someone to look around in person. A face to face convo might open up paths that are otherwise hidden.

I agree with you mate, but its gone be a big project