• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Failure In Emission Test

RoughRider

Question

Guys,

Kindly take a look at the report I got after my car (Nissan N16) went through the Emission Test.

To my surprise it failed the test & I was advised to have an engine tune-up to solve the issue. (Actually an engine tune-up was done a couple of months back at a reputed place @ Ja-Ela)

Therefore pls let me know what is actually indicated in the report & what remedial action I should take to get the problem permanently fixed.

GASOLINE SPEED HC CO LAMDA O2 CO2 OVERALL RESULT ESTIMATED FUEL WASTAGE RPM (PPm v/v) (% v/v) STANDARD 1200 4.5 FAIL % Rs/Ltr IDLE 670 242 1.288 1.015 1.24 13.34 4.89 7.28 2500 RPM 2414 318 5.294 0.89 1.05 11.16 15.35 22.87 STATUS P F

Thank you in advance...

CHEERS :drinks:

Edited by RoughRider

14 answers to this question

During the tune up, did they remove the lambda sensor and clean it? Also it is a really good idea to take the car for testing once it has been running at operating temp for at least 20 minutes.

Check your air filters, plugs, etc. Sometimes it's a minor glitch that throw the numbers off the scale. Give it an Italian tune... go for a exteremley high speed. high throttle setting run for about 20 minutes and test again.

When I had the Alfa, I used to blast down Marine drive once or twice on full throttle before calmly turning in to the Green test center, once the guy even remarked that my numbers were that of a Maruti... :) The only time in my life that I tolerated with a smile a comparison between a maruti engine and a 3.0l 24 valve V6 engine designed by Italian legend Guiseppe Busso... :)

For the two years I had her, she never failed the test.

• Like 1

During the tune up, did they remove the lambda sensor and clean it? Also it is a really good idea to take the car for testing once it has been running at operating temp for at least 20 minutes.

Check your air filters, plugs, etc. Sometimes it's a minor glitch that throw the numbers off the scale. Give it an Italian tune... go for a exteremley high speed. high throttle setting run for about 20 minutes and test again.

When I had the Alfa, I used to blast down Marine drive once or twice on full throttle before calmly turning in to the Green test center, once the guy even remarked that my numbers were that of a Maruti... :) The only time in my life that I tolerated with a smile a comparison between a maruti engine and a 3.0l 24 valve V6 engine designed by Italian legend Guiseppe Busso... :)

For the two years I had her, she never failed the test.

i followed the same theory on mine few weeks back hammered it down for good 20 min and drove in for the emission test...best feeling you get is when you hear the step down kicking in on a V8 and passing emission tests on the same day :)

Edited by YALA

i followed the same theory on mine few weeks back hammered it down for good 20 min and drove in for the emission test...best feeling you get is when you hear the step down kicking in on a V8 and passing emission tests on the same day :)

A V8? What's the vehicle man?

Guys can you tell what are the things I have to do before ECO test... I have Suzuki Swift 2003 jeep model ?

Thanks in Advance

I am sure you have the previous year's ECO test sheet with you. First check if any of the readings were marginal. If they are very well within the limit and if you have maintained your car well within last year chances are that you would not fail. Still if you suspect something (Did you get a Check Engine Light indication at any time?) you can do a tune up. Whatever you do drive for 10 minutes around 50 kmph or above at one go before heading for the test.

I am sure you have the previous year's ECO test sheet with you. First check if any of the readings were marginal. If they are very well within the limit and if you have maintained your car well within last year chances are that you would not fail. Still if you suspect something (Did you get a Check Engine Light indication at any time?) you can do a tune up. Whatever you do drive for 10 minutes around 50 kmph or above at one go before heading for the test.

Thanks Rumesh... I dont have previose results... and I bought it this year.. at that period eco test result sheet was not compulsory to have. it had registration details so I forgot to ask eco results sheet. anyhow there are no any issue regarding engine, So I think its better do a eco test and see first of all.

Thanks Rumesh... I dont have previose results... and I bought it this year.. at that period eco test result sheet was not compulsory to have. it had registration details so I forgot to ask eco results sheet. anyhow there are no any issue regarding engine, So I think its better do a eco test and see first of all.

Even if the ECO certificate was not mandatory those days I always used to ask for it as the first thing, whenever I inspected a vehicle before purchasing because that is one of the more reliable (not that they were always genuine) piece of information on the vehicle. Moreover if you have this record for a number of past years it gives you a sense of confidence. Not everyone would keep all the maintenance records but it is not that difficult to maintain this particular document at least.