• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

oh, nothing to do with the vehicle, it's the driver then ;) Seems the vehicle is 'used to' drive in that speed so, speeding at once can be tough but will be alright if you push the engine bit far and get it 'used to' drive in those speeds, always worked for me ;)

Exactly, it's the love I have for the ruddy thing, never let me down ever, so I rarely push it into the extremes. I'm quite at home doing 100-120 in vehicles (with engines) better equipped to handle those speeds.

Exactly, it's the love I have for the ruddy thing, never let me down ever, so I rarely push it into the extremes. I'm quite at home doing 100-120 in vehicles (with engines) better equipped to handle those speeds.

Beg to differ on the idea that doing 100 or 120 on the townace is pushing it's limits. The overdrive makes it easy for the engine quite well from my experience, is yours auto by anychance? Then the engine will rev bit faster than of in a manual.

Edited by harshansenadhir

Cali, u might be interested to hear that in the UK their first electric car charging points have just been opened up on some of their motorway service areas. These first ones are all greeny and solar powered and can fastcharge a battery in an hour or so after the customer swipes a credit card and goes off for a cuppa. How fast things change with the new technologies, eh.

Very cool Scooter. Same proliferation of charging stations for electric cars and plug-in hybrids is happening in the U.S. Even grocery stores have installed charging stations in their car parks so customers can get their cars charged while they shop.

First video of what it's like to drive on the almost complete Southern Expressway

The expressway looks great, and is surprisingly straight. It's straighter than many sections of the Autobahn. Even though the initial speed limit will be 80-100kmph, with a decent car one can easily cruise at speeds over 150kmph. The driver is able to do 140 in a truck.

But the way he's driving is scary. He doesn't have to horn at every vehicle, should be driving inside one lane, not taking up the whole road, and should learn to use his signals when changing lanes. Hopefully people will learn discipline and safe expressway driving over time. I don't like the cops, but I hope they'll be out in force when this thing opens to pull people over who are driving in an undisciplined or dangerous manner.

Well spotted, regarding the upper case road signs.

I drove down to Galle and back in June. Wonder if I'm Autolankas' first?

Sorry mate i think i beat you to it. Ive been driving down that roads for along time :) my dad's company is the subcontractor for Taisei (Main contrator of the dodamgoda to kurudugama hethakma.. i went abt a month ago when eveyting was complete. the toll gates have to be done. Thats the hold up

The galle matara section also started work

Great vid. What a stunning motorway. Love the bridges with space for road widening built-in to the design. And the countryside - beautiful. Should be a few medals in the pipe-line for the guys and girls responsible for designing and building this. Just brilliant!

Sorry mate i think i beat you to it. Ive been driving down that roads for along time :) my dad's company is the subcontractor for Taisei (Main contrator of the dodamgoda to kurudugama hethakma.. i went abt a month ago when eveyting was complete. the toll gates have to be done. Thats the hold up

Any idea about the toll payment structure? Like if they'll use some kind of electronic prepaid system?

Any idea about the toll payment structure? Like if they'll use some kind of electronic prepaid system?

The toll system is not going to be electronic (for now). The toll process will involve stopping at the entrance and/or exit to the expressway and dealing with a person. Unfortunately this could mean significant back ups.

Here's an interesting criticism of the way they're going to do the tolls

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/fullstory.php?nid=1682059679

i touched 245 on my freinds evo 8 and it was freaking awesome......

this was near matara side and only one side was completed. can see a stretch of around 3-4 km straight and its a amazing feeling,

only problem is monaras cross the road :(

Edited by Velocity

I'm a bit confused with the 'monara'.

Did a peacock literally cross the road, or did a cop cross the road resulting in you having to flash a monara? Both being equally possible outcomes :D

machan when the highway nears matara you get lot of peacocks and imagine hitting one at 100. :)

I wouldn't use Top Gear for factual information. That program is an entertainment program for entertainment purposes, and often misleads in order to create an exciting entertaining program. They are being sued by Tesla for rigging their test of the Tesla Roadster in order to create entertaining but misleading results, and they are in hot water with Nissan for rigging their test of the Leaf.

Fuel economy while driving around a racetrack at 100% is a completely different story from fuel economy when driving on an expressway - for many reasons.

The Prius gets slightly lower fuel economy on the expressway (about 20kmpl at 100kmph) than it does in city driving. That number is still better than most any car on the road.

YOU want to lecture ME about the purpose of Top Gear? How about you WATCH the piece in question before airing your ignorant opinion. Ass!

YOU want to lecture ME about the purpose of Top Gear? How about you WATCH the piece in question before airing your ignorant opinion. Ass!

I have seen the piece that you referenced. It has no bearing on expressway driving and expressway fuel economy whatsoever.

Fuel economy while driving around a racetrack is a completely different equation from fuel economy when driving on an expressway.

I have seen the piece that you referenced. It has no bearing on expressway driving and expressway fuel economy whatsoever.

Fuel economy while driving around a racetrack is a completely different equation from fuel economy when driving on an expressway.

Cali machang, are you coming for 20th night drags?

A friend of mine who drives an insight proposed an interesting drag. Hybrid! He proposed a kmpl drag! I think this is a like a new era of dragging. He said that you can do a kmpl+speed drag. So in the end you have to get good KMPL + speed. So its all about how you control your foot. I dont know how he does the calculation, but he says in the US his friends do it. I'll get more info n post.

Any hybrid drivers wanna enroll? my buddy is with the insight is in, and he's talking to a friend to get a one of a kind hubrid also there ;) thats a surprise! Its gonna rox!!!!!!

About a month ago would have been somewhere in July. However if you had done the full length of the highway, both directions before the 3rd week of June, you've certainly beaten me to it.

First video of what it's like to drive on the almost complete Southern Expressway

The expressway looks great, and is surprisingly straight. It's straighter than many sections of the Autobahn. Even though the initial speed limit will be 80-100kmph, with a decent car one can easily cruise at speeds over 150kmph. The driver is able to do 140 in a truck.

But the way he's driving is scary. He doesn't have to horn at every vehicle, should be driving inside one lane, not taking up the whole road, and should learn to use his signals when changing lanes. Hopefully people will learn discipline and safe expressway driving over time. I don't like the cops, but I hope they'll be out in force when this thing opens to pull people over who are driving in an undisciplined or dangerous manner.

This bloke is driving @ 140 KM/H without wearing seat belts :) SL Rocks :) :)

in this video clip after he over take that caravan and at 1.30 and 1.32 what are those things in the middle of the right side lane?. :unsure:

Edited by nexus

Wonder what's going to happen to all the jokers who know nothing about tyre pressure (90% of the populace here by the looks of it) who constantly run on under inflated tyres, when their tyres heat up and blowout on the highway, sending them a-flyin? They should have a mandatory pressure test at the toll gates too.

There might certainly be time to check your tyre pressure, get your car washed and waxed etc .. at the toll gates. If that above mentioned LBO article is anything to go by! :action-smiley-060:

Only 4 fully-manual (!) toll gates and no restriction (except bike and trishaws) from entering? Damn I can see the queues going up to Maharagama on weekends....

There might certainly be time to check your tyre pressure, get your car washed and waxed etc .. at the toll gates. If that above mentioned LBO article is anything to go by! :action-smiley-060:

Only 4 fully-manual (!) toll gates and no restriction (except bike and trishaws) from entering? Damn I can see the queues going up to Maharagama on weekends....

http://documents.gov.lk/Extgzt/2011/PDF/Aug/1717_14/1717_14%20(E).pdf