• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

1,942 answers to this question

I'm sure you haven't seen how the rail track and roads were repaired in Sri Lanka with the available resources and funds and mainly using man power after the Tsunami struck. Quite impressive work they've done and we were ahead than other Tsunami victimized countries in the region in restoring the damaged infrastructure. You don't always have to compare with someone else and look down at what we have as a country.

• Like 6

I'm sure you haven't seen how the rail track and roads were repaired in Sri Lanka with the available resources and funds and mainly using man power after the Tsunami struck. Quite impressive work they've done and we were ahead than other Tsunami victimized countries in the region in restoring the damaged infrastructure. You don't always have to compare with someone else and look down at what we have as a country.

+++1. ela ela.

and...... the Japs prolly did it with the money we "donated" them :)..

on a serious note, it's mostly those who complain about SL not being up there with the developed countries who actually aggravate the situation with their in-disciplined driving with no respect to others on the road etc... :violent-smiley-099:

Edited by pissa

Actually thats true, handling in this car isn't bad. im more disappointing in the total experience and especially the brakes :alc:

Funny enough I have no complains about the brakes either :) I must say that due to high humidity in SL the breaks become rather spongy quite quickly in SL. A good DOT 4 brake oil change should sort that out.

My only complaints when I drive that car is acceleration (beyond 40MPH it does require some heavy revving to get to 70MPH) and the seats (not the best for long journeys).

and exactly where is the 'looking down at what we have as a country' in the simple sentence "how long would it take us to do the same thing?"

yeah right, probably you asked that question to update your statistical base eh? So next time some one asks a question like how much time it takes to re construct a tsunami struck road in sri lanka, you will be able to answer referring to the statistics?

You gotta be kidding mate, look down wasn't there alone in the sentence quoted but the entire post with un necessary comparison with japs

look, accepting mistakes and move on is something and trying to cover up or trying to prove 'no i didn't say so' is not the best way to move forward.

You'll simply be another IJ in this forum.

Edited by harshansenadhir

yeah right, probably you asked that question to update your statistical base eh? So next time some one asks a question like how much time it takes to re construct a tsunami struck road in sri lanka, you will be able to answer referring to the statistics?

You gotta be kidding mate, look down wasn't there alone in the sentence quoted but the entire post with un necessary comparison with japs

look, accepting mistakes and move on is something and trying to cover up or trying to prove 'no i didn't say so' is not the best way to move forward.

You'll simply be another IJ in this forum.

Really???? I had a very different response when I read the article.

I read that article and I thought "Wow...pretty impressive that they repaired it in 6 days. And very inspiring. Thank you Japanese engineers for showing the entire world what is possible. Just like we showed the world what is possible by repairing the tsunami railway in record time and wiping out terrorism in 3 years. If the southern expressway were damaged, with the right people and right team in place, of course we could repair it in a few days!!!"

I posted the article because it was inspiring. For whatever reasons you chose to interpret it as putting down Sri Lanka.

And the question (how long would it take us to do the same thing?) was actually a neutral question. It's interesting that that question triggered feelings of inadequacy and defensiveness in some people. And that exact same question triggered feelings of confidence and optimism in others. Why completely different reactions in different people to the exact same question?? It would seem that the question merely brought to the surface a persons own inner personal feelings about Sri Lanka that they carry inside them all the time.

I don't know about you, but I feel incredibly confident about being Sri lankan, and our capabilities and what we can achieve. And our future.

Sorry if I offended you machang.

Yes very much so and it was nothing short of amazing. Sadly the chief engineer in charge passed away not long after. My father new the family and told me the project kind of took a toll on his health.

Really???? I had a very different response when I read the article.

I read that article and I thought "Wow...pretty impressive that they repaired it in 6 days. And very inspiring. Thank you Japanese engineers for showing the entire world what is possible. Just like we showed the world what is possible by repairing the tsunami railway in record time and wiping out terrorism in 3 years. If the southern expressway were damaged, with the right people and right team in place, of course we could repair it in a few days!!!"

I posted the article because it was inspiring. For whatever reasons you chose to interpret it as putting down Sri Lanka.

And the question (how long would it take us to do the same thing?) was actually a neutral question. It's interesting that that question triggered feelings of inadequacy and defensiveness in some people. And that exact same question triggered feelings of confidence and optimism in others. Why completely different reactions in different people to the exact same question?? It would seem that the question merely brought to the surface a persons own inner personal feelings about Sri Lanka that they carry inside them all the time.

I don't know about you, but I feel incredibly confident about being Sri lankan, and our capabilities and what we can achieve. And our future.

Sorry if I offended you machang.

you can twist your own statement the way you want and it's you who says it's neutral. It's got nothing to do with the inner personal feelings what so ever. one question, are you living in Sri Lanka?

I travel back and forth between Sri Lanka and other parts of the world.

And there is no twisting of statements. Just saying that people often respond very differently to the same situation, and the situation has often little to do with a persons response.

If you were walking down the street and someone gave you a dirt look, you might say "That man doesn't like me" and feel aggravated. In exactly the same situation another person might respond "That man has had a hard day" and feel sorry for him. Exactly the same situation, two very different responses. The situation doesn't "make" us respond and react a certain way. We do that to ourselves.

In exactly the same way, people responded very differently to the Japanese story, but the article didn't "make" anyone feel a particular way. Each person (including you and me) did that to themselves.

Edited by Californikan

And there is no twisting of statements. Just saying that people often respond very differently to the same situation, and the situation has often little to do with a persons response.

If you were walking down the street and someone gave you a dirt look, you might say "That man doesn't like me" and feel aggravated. In exactly the same situation another person might respond "That man has had a hard day" and feel sorry for him. Exactly the same situation, two very different responses. The situation doesn't "make" us respond and react a certain way. We do that to ourselves.

In exactly the same way, people responded very differently to the Japanese story, but the article didn't "make" anyone feel a particular way. Each person (including you and me) did that to themselves.

All right, so you've had no intention to look down but inspiring us by asking how long would it take us to do the same thing? great, if you say so and if that stands I'll take my word back by all means. Simply don't like the attitude of some people who always tend to praise what other countries are capable of doing without knowing the resources, talent, skills we still have here after lots of intelligent and resourceful people had moved out/migrated over a period of time.

• Like 1

Yes very much so and it was nothing short of amazing. Sadly the chief engineer in charge passed away not long after. My father new the family and told me the project kind of took a toll on his health.

Yes it's amazing. I think they did it in 3 months.

It's also amazing that it has taken us more than 1 year to lay the rail track up to Omanthai from vavuniya.

Yes it's amazing. I think they did it in 3 months.

It's also amazing that it has taken us more than 1 year to lay the rail track up to Omanthai from vavuniya.

You have to understand the differences in these two projects, the Tsunami re-construction was done purely by local resources and I'm sure terms like tender calling, supplier selections and commissions weren't within that quick re-build they've done :) Further, they've re-constructed something which was there previous week, so the gap between the objective and current status quo was close at least.

But the second one, mainly contracted by Indian ventures and following procedures, ensure commissions are secured so lengthy supplier selection period. Further, the gap between objective (to be) and the current status quo is huge as that track was destroyed over a period of time and it wasn't in place for more than a decade or so.

Whatever said and done, I personally believe if local resources what CGR had were used in the re-construction of northern railway track, the project would've completed by now.

You have to understand the differences in these two projects, the Tsunami re-construction was done purely by local resources and I'm sure terms like tender calling, supplier selections and commissions weren't within that quick re-build they've done :) Further, they've re-constructed something which was there previous week, so the gap between the objective and current status quo was close at least.

But the second one, mainly contracted by Indian ventures and following procedures, ensure commissions are secured so lengthy supplier selection period. Further, the gap between objective (to be) and the current status quo is huge as that track was destroyed over a period of time and it wasn't in place for more than a decade or so.

Whatever said and done, I personally believe if local resources what CGR had were used in the re-construction of northern railway track, the project would've completed by now.

Yes CGR can do a better job & faster. I know this for a fact.

Commissions :rolleyes: Ohh Yes. Check how much is a bus permits from COL - Jaff.Bus guys have to have a return on investment like any business. Track will take more than 3 year for sure.

get ready to see alot of overturned dolphins.

And buddy vans...are vans allowed to go on this though? I think I'll stick to my original plan of just using the galle road and allowing the maniacs to take the expressway...hopefully the galle road will have less traffic now :)

And buddy vans...are vans allowed to go on this though? I think I'll stick to my original plan of just using the galle road and allowing the maniacs to take the expressway...hopefully the galle road will have less traffic now :)

Not an option, with most of the personal vehicles using the highway the bus drivers will most likely keep the road to themselves.

All right, so you've had no intention to look down but inspiring us by asking how long would it take us to do the same thing? great, if you say so and if that stands I'll take my word back by all means. Simply don't like the attitude of some people who always tend to praise what other countries are capable of doing without knowing the resources, talent, skills we still have here after lots of intelligent and resourceful people had moved out/migrated over a period of time.

I'm with 80% californikan and 20% harshan, because most of the exapmle i've come across more or less related to knowladge and attitude rather than resources.

for example, those who travel in matale road, just after katugastota can see the road is washed and sunk towards the river. It is there like for last 2 years. Half of the retaining wall still remaining in the river. And every 5,6 years we get major flood also.

If we repair this now i'm sure we can use existing wall, and less carpet to the road,etc. But that is not how things happen AFAIK. Authorities will wait till entire thing get washed away in another couple of years. Then spend ten times more and repair it.

Well said sir. Hats off harsh for your comment. I wish more people including myself (someone who has made a fair share of comments out of my ass) would share a similar attitude when making posts in this forum (I'm not pointing fingers at anyone particular). There's so much hostility in this forum these days. Slightest disagreements tend to quickly turn in to name calling and personal bashing.

I'm with 80% californikan and 20% harshan, because most of the exapmle i've come across more or less related to knowladge and attitude rather than resources.

for example, those who travel in matale road, just after katugastota can see the road is washed and sunk towards the river. It is there like for last 2 years. Half of the retaining wall still remaining in the river. And every 5,6 years we get major flood also.

If we repair this now i'm sure we can use existing wall, and less carpet to the road,etc. But that is not how things happen AFAIK. Authorities will wait till entire thing get washed away in another couple of years. Then spend ten times more and repair it.

true, what you're point out is an issue in the system but nothing to do with the people or skill set what we got. Same applies to my reply on northern rail-way construction.

During Tsunami time it was a call for duty and as I've elaborated it was bottom-up work, everyone worked rather than talking and virtual planning, not the usual top-down approach which is always impacted by the issues in the lethargic system what is in place.

Well said sir. Hats off harsh for your comment. I wish more people including myself (someone who has made a fair share of comments out of my ass) would share a similar attitude when making posts in this forum (I'm not pointing fingers at anyone particular). There's so much hostility in this forum these days. Slightest disagreements tend to quickly turn in to name calling and personal bashing.

True that, but at least one party should call a truce if proven to be wrong, simply did that coz the understanding I had on the controversial statement was wrong.