• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Legally Registering A1000Cc Motor Cycle In Sri Lank

edsal

Hi Guys,

I want to purchase a used motorcycle over 500cc up to 1000cc in Sri Lanka. I was told that the laws here now has changed and able to buy and legally register a bike in my name up to 1000cc to be ridden on the road.

1. A bike has been offered to me and seller says bike has been approved for registration and he will register in my name once I pay him the money.

2. But a friend told me that the amnesty period given to register bikes up to 1000cc is now over and these bikes cannot be transferred or re registered.

3. Also these bikes can be only used for “sports use” (not for road use but only for race track competition use) and this is stamped in the registration book.

4. When I checked with my insurance company they said if the registration card is stamped for “sports use” then they can only issue a policy for the application of racing only and the cost will be very high.

5. The insurance company also cautioned me saying If I ride this bike on the road and in the event of an accident the bike will not be covered and the event of a 3rd party fatal accident the police will charge me under the penal code as manslaughter since the insurance policy do not cover road use.

Any advise from you guys will be highly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

One my close friends has a CBR600 which was running for the last few years on road but registered under 250cc. During the amnesty period he got it re-registered for 600cc but for "Sports use". However, he has a separate document which allows him and only HIM to use the bike on road. Only problem is that this bike was on third party insurance all this while. It is your post that prompted me to raise the issue in insurance with him but he was a bit speechless at first and wanted to check with the agent. Now according to him he can transfer the bike although the amnesty is over (makes sense now it is legally registered) but the new owner would have to get a clearance letter again to use the bike on road. I will be meeting him on coming weekend and would have a chance to see what's exactly written on the clearance letter etc. Will give you a feedback later.

I don't agree with the insurers explanations in 4 and 5 in your list. If you hold the title for the registered bike (ie your insurable interest) unless otherwise prohibited by a overriding legal provision (AFAIK none exists), they should be able to insure the bike, rider and the third parties.

Edited by Rumesh88

One my close friends has a CBR600 which was running for the last few years on road but registered under 250cc. During the amnesty period he got it re-registered for 600cc but for "Sports use". However, he has a separate document which allows him and only HIM to use the bike on road. Only problem is that this bike was on third party insurance all this while. It is your post that prompted me to raise the issue in insurance with him but he was a bit speechless at first and wanted to check with the agent. Now according to him he can transfer the bike although the amnesty is over (makes sense now it is legally registered) but the new owner would have to get a clearance letter again to use the bike on road. I will be meeting him on coming weekend and would have a chance to see what's exactly written on the clearance letter etc. Will give you a feedback later.

I don't agree with the insurers explanations in 4 and 5 in your list. If you hold the title for the registered bike (ie your insurable interest) unless otherwise prohibited by a overriding legal provision (AFAIK none exists), they should be able to insure the bike, rider and the third parties.

Hi Rumesh 88,

The insurance company checked with their legal dept and advised me that they will insure the bike, rider and the third party but only for racing application but not valid for road use due to the “sport use only” stamp on the registration card by the RMV. They said letter issued by the ministry of defense is addressed to the RMV only and it is only a “no objection letter” to register the bike and the conditional registration issued by the RMV is the law.

Regards

At the risk of sounding like an a$$hole, I must say that I believe that until they make the training and testing for a motorcycle driving license its best to restrict the use of HC bikes as much as possible. Yes a lot of disciplined and capable riders being deprived, but right now the Sri Lankan Driving License for bikes is not that hard to obtain and lets any tom dick and harry to ride any bike. And going through some of the content in local bike groups on FB, you see what kind of stupid shit some of these new-riders do on public roads.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding like an a$$hole, I must say that I believe that until they make the training and testing for a motorcycle driving license its best to restrict the use of HC bikes as much as possible. Yes a lot of disciplined and capable riders being deprived, but right now the Sri Lankan Driving License for bikes is not that hard to obtain and lets any tom dick and harry to ride any bike. And going through some of the content in local bike groups on FB, you see what kind of stupid shit some of these new-riders do on public roads.

Very true. There are some insane riders out there trying to show off in their CT100s. Can’t imagine what will happen if they get their hands on one of these. They will be putting their own life and other people’s lives at risk. So until proper training and testing of bike licence is enforced, registration of HC bikes should be restricted to a minimum. Just my 2 cents.

So what was the point of the re-registration fiasco? So I'm guessing, if you get stopped on one that has a "sport use" stamp on, you are still riding illegally right? Not much different from before :/

Yes, a tiered licensing system could minimise the number of numb nuts who hop on the biggest bike their parents can afford the minute they turn 18.