• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Additional 2 Seats To Crv?

udana_k

Question

hi guys,

i'm planing to go for a honda crv (YOM 2003). i need to add two seats to the rear space as in some prados. i won't use this as a seven seater regulary. but occasionally i might need to...

is there enough space for the purpose?

how it would cost around?

will it make a huge impact on the safty?

pls share your thoughts with me on this....

thanks

Udana_K

7 answers to this question

well about the huge impact on safety, this car simply wsan't built to have two extra seats in the back. so you have no place to mount seatbelts or even the mounts for the seats. you're better off buying an SUV which actually had seats in the back. like the 2001 montero (if the 2007 is beyond budget) or the sorento/sportage or somethign like that. i think even some models of JDM terios came with 7 seats

+1 on what Komi said...the safety risk is not worth it.

Since it is a 2003 model I guess you are referring to a RD4 ?

It is going to be horrendous to mount the seats on the floor as there is a huge gap between the floor of the trunk area and the actual floor panel of the trunk area; which is filled with plastic compartments and spare-wheel storage area. So yeah....I am curious to know how that would be done actually, unless all of that is ripped out and the seats are mounted on high legs or at an awkwardly low level.Mounting it on the sides is probably going to be equally problematic. Either way, you are going to have to butcher the car which means drilling/cutting the plastic cladding and the plastic covers for the floor space, which I am sure will start rattling in no time. Together with messing up the safety,this is going to hurt "dare I say it.." the resale value of the car (but then again there always is someone you can dump it on to with a good sales pitch). Even if there is a way to do a neat job it would include re-molding plastic,etc which is going to cost a lot.

so please save a CR-V and buy a 7-seater...there was another thread on doing the same with a RAV4. Maybe you can find out about all the things that can go wrong there as well.

Also, on a practical note....If the seats are forward facing...well anyone with legs will not be able to sit in them. The only reason the Vanguard (and the new X-Trail) can accommodate a skinny short person with legs in the 3rd row is because the back (middle/2nd-row) seats can be slid back and forth (which not all CR-Vs can do). Alternatively, the seats can be side facing... even then it is going to be an extremely tight squeeze.

Edited by iRage

hi guys,

i'm planing to go for a honda crv (YOM 2003). i need to add two seats to the rear space as in some prados. i won't use this as a seven seater regulary. but occasionally i might need to...

is there enough space for the purpose?

how it would cost around?

will it make a huge impact on the safty?

pls share your thoughts with me on this....

thanks

Udana_K

Hello Udana_K

- If you can go for 2010 facelift model you can get it with the factory fitted 3rd row,

How about buying a Honda odyssey???? Try find a one with AWD and it is 7 seater and its design for it and same HONDA, coz 1st and 2nd gen models are not design for it and for sure its so uncomfortable

Cheers

JC

Hello Udana_K

- If you can go for 2010 facelift model you can get it with the factory fitted 3rd row,

How about buying a Honda odyssey???? Try find a one with AWD and it is 7 seater and its design for it and same HONDA, coz 1st and 2nd gen models are not design for it and for sure its so uncomfortable

Cheers

JC

I dont think CRV ever had a 3rd row option

The JDM CR-Vs never came as a 7 seater and hard to imagine it coming as one in any other market. Maybe JC was referring to the Odyssey ?

The Odyssey in Japan is marketed as a mini-van and has 7 seats...the "wide"-ness of it with the length and the low height renders a rather weird driving sensation/dynamic. Personally I prefer the Stream which also comes in a 7 seat variant. But I don't think these models are easy to come by in SL so finding one that is already in the country is going ot be pretty tough.

If you are using a CR-V for reasons of ground clearance and you actually need a AWD car (unlike most of the owners out there), then the Odyssey, Stream, etc...category of vehicles might not work out for you as well as they are pretty low. Know a few people with AWD Honda Streams (similar AWD system to the Odyssey's) and the AWD is pretty basic and configured in such a away that it can't handle anything more than a snowy/gravely/wet/slippery road. So it won't be even close to what a CR-V can handle which isn't much to begin with.