• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Samurai/jimny Please Help

john cooper

Hello Friends

Planning to have a 1 month vacation in SL around April, and do some 4WD. I was looking for AL Ad posted few months ago (Now Ad is not with AL) for a RED Suzuki Samurai 1995 model 301- located @ Colombo but I am so unlucky to lost that as its been sold as per the owner.

But I am not ready to give up, I do have some pics of it pulled out from another website if you guys want to see that.

So if you guys can help me to find one with same condition or the same car (I do have the plate number) it a BIG help coz I really love this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115088559@N08/12058296654/

P.S. Few of the same I have seen on the market which is not the same quality or 1.3(SJ413) so I need a 1.3 EFI with good condition, Please Help guys

Wouldn't a off-roader be cheaper over there and you can enjoy it for more than just a month, am i wrong?

And personally I wouldn't do what you're planning to do. All vehicles of this age/range would have a bunch of issues that need sorting out. And you won't know them without a few days/weeks of running. Hence, buying an unknown vehicle, taking it to a remote off-road location and put it in a mud-pit making the vehicle even less accessible is quite risky. Don't you think?

Found the Samurai @ Nugegoda but owner don't want to sell, so i have to check something else

Is there a particular reason why you're looking for a Samruai? I'm not too familiar with the SL offroading scene but if I'm not mistaken, people use Defenders, L200s and Hiluxes (older diesels) for offroading yes? If you expand your search for these models, you're bound to strike a hit.

Is there a particular reason why you're looking for a Samruai? I'm not too familiar with the SL offroading scene but if I'm not mistaken, people use Defenders, L200s and Hiluxes (older diesels) for offroading yes? If you expand your search for these models, you're bound to strike a hit.

yep, gotta agree with you on that too. In a Sri Lankan context a Samurai would be a bit of a p***y-ride. Even a much more ocmmonly available J32/4DR5 would be more suited for off-roading.

Wouldn't a off-roader be cheaper over there and you can enjoy it for more than just a month, am i wrong?

And personally I wouldn't do what you're planning to do. All vehicles of this age/range would have a bunch of issues that need sorting out. And you won't know them without a few days/weeks of running. Hence, buying an unknown vehicle, taking it to a remote off-road location and put it in a mud-pit making the vehicle even less accessible is quite risky. Don't you think?

I agree regarding the RISK......................... but hard to find a place like SL and No animals like in SL

Budget is 15lks so the Jeep must be under that, and i don't mind a petrol jeep and Samurai/Jimny is capable of doing most of the places that you/me never think of going and it is the cheapest 4WD on the market with a separate transfer box, 1.3 ltr engine and just over a 1000kg weight good power to weight ratio...................I have to sell this also after 1 month

Off roading and observing wild life are 2 very different things, and most of our national parks these days are so crowded with people such that most of the regular roads in the parks have got decent surfaces. So good that most tour operators use those 2wd Tata pickups. Maybe one of the more avid wild-life fan can comment on the parks. But if you DO go deep into the forest you will get some heavier off-roading opportunities, but it's not very polite to go into the forest and create a commotion as you're not supposed to disturb the wildlife.

And I doubt vehicles like the Samurai change hands so frequently, so you WILL have some trouble selling it off. Again you're better off going for a Mitsubishi.

• Like 1

And I'm sure Watchman can vouch that a one month vacation is really really short time. At least that was my experience. I doubt you have a lot of fun buying a new vehicle, fix it up to a level you're comfortable to leave the roads with and then sell it (all within a month). And to be honest, you might be over-estimating the little suzuki's capabilities.

Maybe you can look at renting somethnig? Would be a far easier option if you can find one.

Well what do you know, the guy who didnt want a Suzuki in NZ because of the resale value in NZ wants to buy a Suzuki to do what he wanted to do in NZ in Sri Lanka. JohnCooper dont get me wrong but why dont you just stick to a Toyota, get a BJ40. They are more popular in SL and its easier to sell off.

You could have done wonders in NZ with the Samurai, but not here in SL because its not easy to find and also parts are a bit hard to come, unless you are ok to get them custom made or bring them down with you.

• Like 1

Hello Friends

Thank you for all the info given, Bro Hoonigan i had a Samurai and had lots of fun with it and believe me its a 1987 model, was lot capable do most of the things,

- Dont have the budjet to go for a Mitshi or Toyota, (Wife don't like the YAKA models) so i am stuck, Or i have to use my Dad's Delica P25

- Looks to me its bit hard to sell the Jimny or Samurai in SL rite?

Again, try and rent one out. Who cares if it's yaka model (whatever that means) it's only for a month, not like you're adopting a child!

Anyways, it's your money and it's your call. Personally I wouldn't go down your path. And considering the number of people I've seen who would BUY, even a motorcycle, for a month, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

But do keep us posted on how you get on. It's an interesting endeavor.

Frankly I think there's a side of the story that the OP isnt telling us.

I mean seriously, who BUYS a vehicle to use for just a few weeks? And who cares what the 'face' looks like if you won't be seeing it ever again after those few weeks. And for someone who was so persistent on re-sale value of a vehicle he uses on the long run he's awfully optimistic about the resale of a Jimny.

Anyway, based on what the OP is telling us, the simplest solution would be to go would be to just rent a 4WD double cab which will be even more capable than a RAV4 or a Jimny and will give a lot more creature comforts than a Toyota BJ or a mitsubishi throughout your trip.

• Like 1

Guys how about Daihatsu ROCKY/ ROGGER

Diesel

32 - 2xxx looks to me imported body (very good body and options)

asking 17lks hw about this jeep?????????????????????

Do u realize that u can buy a short wheel base pajero or a land cruiser of the same age with tht kind of money?

Rocky is a good vehicle but 1.7 is absurd