• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where To Get Low Rolling Resistance (Lrr) Rated Tires In Sri Lanka

ramishkad

Question

Hi,

Does anyone know a decent place to get high quality LRR rated tires in Sri Lanka?

What are the good brands I should go and look for?

I have been using regular GoodYear tires for my old car but my new wheels (Civic Hybrid) has LRR has the recommended tire type.

Thanks in advance for the help.

On a side note, I managed to find Honda HMMF oil in Sri Lanka (Kandy). I saw several posts in other threads where members had claimed they could not find the oil in SL. If anyone still needs it, I will be happy to share the shop details.

24 answers to this question

Hi,

Does anyone know a decent place to get high quality LRR rated tires in Sri Lanka?

What are the good brands I should go and look for?

I have been using regular GoodYear tires for my old car but my new wheels (Civic Hybrid) has LRR has the recommended tire type.

Thanks in advance for the help.

On a side note, I managed to find Honda HMMF oil in Sri Lanka (Kandy). I saw several posts in other threads where members had claimed they could not find the oil in SL. If anyone still needs it, I will be happy to share the shop details.

Bridgestone Ecopias are available with the agents, Autodrome PLC.

Bridgestone Ecopias are available with the agents, Autodrome PLC.

Thanks a lot for your response mate. I will go and check them out.

Any other good brands available in SL , I would be grateful to hear about.

Anything with the term Eco usually are meant to be Low Rolling Resistance. But remember LRR comes at the cost of grip, so there is a trade off. Your fuel economy will improve but your braking distance will increase.

My current ones are Dunlop tires which are rated LRR. As you said breaking distance is somewhat increased. I always assumed this to be how regenerative braking worked, not as a result of having LRR. Thanks for the explanation.

Hey ramishakd,

I installed 4 tires of Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 size 175/70R14 for Rs. 10,900 odd per tyre on Monday.. So far compared to my previous tyre (GT Radial Champiro) the Ecopia is much quieter and the ride quality is better (more soft).. However, I cannot comment on the durablity or if the tyre actual helps in fuel saving as I have only had it for a short while. I will update in due course regarding these 2 factors.. I purchased the 4 tyres from U&H Wheel Service in Malay Street. When searching for tyre please hunt around and you will find a good deal.. On a side note, the Ecopia EP150 comes from Thailand..

Hope this helps...

Hey ramishakd,

I installed 4 tires of Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 size 175/70R14 for Rs. 10,900 odd per tyre on Monday.. So far compared to my previous tyre (GT Radial Champiro) the Ecopia is much quieter and the ride quality is better (more soft).. However, I cannot comment on the durablity or if the tyre actual helps in fuel saving as I have only had it for a short while. I will update in due course regarding these 2 factors.. I purchased the 4 tyres from U&H Wheel Service in Malay Street. When searching for tyre please hunt around and you will find a good deal.. On a side note, the Ecopia EP150 comes from Thailand..

Hope this helps...

Thank you very much for the info it's really helpful. I think that is a pretty good deal you have got for around 11k per tire. I am actually looking for quieter and more comfortable ride than the fuel economy. Bridgestone Ecopia looks to be a good buy. Thanks again for the info.

You're most welcome mate... Pls don't forget to update here after installation... Good luck with your purchase!

I'll definitely update here. I will install them after some time though. I asked this in advance to do my research with my current tires still having some mileage left in them. Will post here when I do. Thanks.

I am also looking for LRR Tires. I am currently running Toyo Proxes C1S 225/40R19s.

One of them has a slow leak and when put to the water bucket test ( :sport-smiley-004: ) at a tire shop it did not reveal any leaks.

However there are some damages on the inner most tread that according to the tire guy looks like a manufacturing defect or accident damage.

Don't see a pressure drop during the drive, But overnight the pressure drops by abt 2-4psi compared to other tires.

The tires are about roughly 27000km old. Inner Tread looks worn out in comparison to other treads on all tires. (Wheel Alignment reports from TL doesnt show any issues)

Tried asking from agents for Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin/Kumho, Toyo, Yokohama, GoodYear, Falken, Pirelli & Continental/GT Radial.

All of them came up blank for that size (LRR or normal). The closest most of them had was 245/40 and that requires a 8.0J wide ridm. Mine is unfortunately 7.5J (Never thought 0.5 inch would have such an impact). :)

Any ideas where else I can give a try and if all else fail what would be the tax on importing tires ?

Thanks.

Edited by B2Spirit

Any ideas where else I can give a try and if all else fail what would be the tax on importing tires ?

Thanks.

Comes to about 70% of CIF (28% Duty*+15% Surcharge+10% Cess+VAT+PAL+NBT).

*As for the customs duty it is either 28% of CIF or Rs. 90 per Kg whichever is higher.

Edited by Rumesh88

Sounds like this is for a Prius. My opinion is running such tall and wide rims its pointless looking for lrr's. obviously the person who fitted these did so for the performance and visual enhancement and placed it above the fuel savings and other practicalities. Lrr tyres at best return around 3% in fuel savings. Most don't give you anything noticeable at all. You can save much more by simply going for smaller, narrower and lighter wheels. Each kilo you lose on a wheel feels like losing 10 off the car. I'm not telling you to change your wheels. It's just looking for lrrs with such an aggressive setup is like using solar energy to light up a nuclear power plant. Im sure such a tyre exists. But it won't be worth it. Better to get a decent set of performance tyres and enjoy the extra grip.

• Like 1

Sounds like this is for a Prius. My opinion is running such tall and wide rims its pointless looking for lrr's. obviously the person who fitted these did so for the performance and visual enhancement and placed it above the fuel savings and other practicalities. Lrr tyres at best return around 3% in fuel savings. Most don't give you anything noticeable at all. You can save much more by simply going for smaller, narrower and lighter wheels. Each kilo you lose on a wheel feels like losing 10 off the car. I'm not telling you to change your wheels. It's just looking for lrrs with such an aggressive setup is like using solar energy to light up a nuclear power plant. Im sure such a tyre exists. But it won't be worth it. Better to get a decent set of performance tyres and enjoy the extra grip.

Thanks. It's Camry Hybrid. It came with the Modellista package that bumped the rims from stock 17s to 19s.

Agree with your point on LRRs. Unfortunately LRR or not 225/40 seems to be an uncommon configuration.

The closest most of the tyre agents have on 40 profile is 245, Some said they might have 225 on 45 profile but that's stretching the diameter by about 2.5% which i think is cutting too close to 3% recommended limit on safety concerns.

Came across a tire called Toyo Proxes CIS Spec-a (http://toyotires.jp/size/pxc1sspeca.html) that seems to strike a nice compromise but 245/40R19 of that tire requires 8.0J rim while mine is only 7.5J :(.

Edited by B2Spirit

Try u&h down slave island. They are good at sourcing difficult to find sizes. But do go for a decent brand like toyo cos bargain low profiles (around 45) have a higher tendency of blowing up when you hit big bumps at speed. This probably what caused the damage to the tyre you mentioned earlier.

thanks i am currently trying to make sense of whether 245 is ok for 7.5.

Toyo Malaysia/Thailand sites say yes its fine, but toyo Japan site says No.

Don't know whether these variations have anything to do with the climate of the respective countries and road conditions.

I have seen on forums that toyos are much more friendly towards rim variances than other tires.

Try u&h down slave island. They are good at sourcing difficult to find sizes. But do go for a decent brand like toyo cos bargain low profiles (around 45) have a higher tendency of blowing up when you hit big bumps at speed. This probably what caused the damage to the tyre you mentioned earlier.

Thanks. they had a Chinese brand called King Forest, which was all what they had for that size.

They had only 2 tires. But since only 1 of my toyo tires were kaput it worked out.

Hopefully they will last until my other toyos wear down (according to them they have abt another 10k-15k kms on them)

So my OEM tires lasted longer than I expected (64000km) and today only I changed my tires.

I switched to Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 from OEM Dunlop SP-31 and liking it so far.

A tire of size 195/65/R15 cost Rs12900 and I could only find the Indonesia made ones in SL market. Japan made one was not available with the agents as well.

So far the ride experience has been smooth with the new tires. Seems to be a bit quieter than the older Dunlops as well. I didnt notice a drastic change in grip and stopping distance compared to my older set then again I have only driven about 25km on the new set.

How have the Bridgestones faired? How is the tyre wear and road noise? I'm bidding farewell to my original Dunlop Enasave 31s and looking for a new set. TL only seem to have 185/65/15, so that is out of the window. 

On 06/06/2015 at 6:03 PM, ramishkad said:

So my OEM tires lasted longer than I expected (64000km) and today only I changed my tires.

I switched to Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 from OEM Dunlop SP-31 and liking it so far.

A tire of size 195/65/R15 cost Rs12900 and I could only find the Indonesia made ones in SL market. Japan made one was not available with the agents as well.

So far the ride experience has been smooth with the new tires. Seems to be a bit quieter than the older Dunlops as well. I didnt notice a drastic change in grip and stopping distance compared to my older set then again I have only driven about 25km on the new set.

23 minutes ago, Sam B said:

How have the Bridgestones faired? How is the tyre wear and road noise? I'm bidding farewell to my original Dunlop Enasave 31s and looking for a new set. TL only seem to have 185/65/15, so that is out of the window. 

I have these and have kind of mixed feelings. 

I upgraded from Achilles normal tires. I mostly bought these because I was tires of the Mazdas road noise. 

Definite improvement over road noise and the ride is more conformable. Acceleration is quite good as well. No noticeable difference in cornering grip and wet grip is definitely better.

The ride is floaty and I don't like that, it feels a bit unstable at high speeds on bumpy roads. Breaking distance and straight line grip is quite bad and abs kicks in constantly because wheels lock up (I have a little aggressive driving style) there is also body roll because the sidewalls are soft and breakdive is noticable as well. You have to break a little harder than normal also, you might even end up eating through breakpads faster. 

Conscluison is if you want comfort, less road noise and economy this is the tire for you. But if you are a spirited driver stay away from these. I'm planing to swap these out soon, just not my cup of tea. 

On 12/23/2016 at 1:35 PM, Sam B said:

Hi,

I've used them for around 30000km since that post. They've fared quite well. I think they still have minimum 5000km more on them. Road noise has not changed much. They are still quieter than my old Dunlops. 

If you are getting Ecopias, the EP200 is now available in Sri lanka (I could only find EP150 back then). Once this set is worn off, I'd be getting EP200 as well.  

The Stig said that Bridgestones are floaty and lacks feel. Of course my car is an econobox but compared to an Axio hybrid steering doesn't feel numb. Why do you recommend EP200 over EP150? 

13 hours ago, ramishkad said:

Hi,

I've used them for around 30000km since that post. They've fared quite well. I think they still have minimum 5000km more on them. Road noise has not changed much. They are still quieter than my old Dunlops. 

If you are getting Ecopias, the EP200 is now available in Sri lanka (I could only find EP150 back then). Once this set is worn off, I'd be getting EP200 as well.  

http://www.autoindustriya.com/features/testing-the-new-bridgestone-ecopia-at-the-tbpg.html

The second tire in the series is the Ecopia EP200. While the EP150 was designed for compact and subcompact customers, the EP200 is suited for compact to midsized cars like the Toyota Corolla and the Toyota Camry; of which several examples were present at the proving ground for testing. What's unique about the EP200 is that the inner sidewall is actually stiffer than the outside wall to aid in straighline stability and economy. Bridgestone claims the EP200 can deliver 8.1% better fuel economy than comparable, conventional tires. We'll test that later.

Read more: http://www.autoindustriya.com/features/testing-the-new-bridgestone-ecopia-at-the-tbpg.html#ixzz4U0tqoMSs 
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 
Follow us: @autoindustriya on Twitter | AutoIndustriya on Facebook

Target Customers:

-Mid – Low income earners
-Price sensitive, need cheaper product with good quality

Target Vehicles:

Small – Mid size Sedans

Update:

I got Dunlop Enasave 31s and they seem not as stiff as SP Tourings I have. I don't think there's a significant difference in the tyre noise, but are slightly more comfortable. Grip feels not different. I guess they are kinder to suspension.