• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda Rx8 2004 6 Speed Manual

ABR

Question

Im looking for an insight of the RX8 and it's fuel consumption, I already know what to expect from a sports car but i m asking here to get a better idea from those who know about this car.

1. around how many KMs does it do per L in and out of cities?

2. Whats the current price of this car ? (2nd hand)

3. ive heard the RX8 rotary engine gets problems after 40k miles or so, is that true?

Any answers appreciated. ty

Edited by ABR

8 answers to this question

I have heard oil consumption is quite high in these cars,and In japan they use special engine Oil for rotary engines only.

I wonder if the Sri lankan previous owner has used Rotary engine oil.

it seems compression becomes a problem sooner than conventional engines as the Engine seals wears out,and rebuilding the engine may not be so trivial compared to a conventional Otto engine,especially with Lankan mechanic shops.

http://www.paulkerrison.co.uk/reviews/mazda-rx8-problems-and-complaints

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080318000104AAdmLQR

Edited by RViji

Thanks for the replies guys, I know it's bad on fuel..i just want to know just how bad..:P

I have always been a big fanboy of the RX7 and RX8..im mainly looking to purchase it for the love i have for the car, i own two other vehicles which i can afford to maintain but yea..it wont hurt get to get an idea a deeper insight on this car , right ?i just wanna know what im getting myself into as i have very little knowledge of it.

Judging by your posts,it seems to me like you are unfamiliar with rotary powered cars and how to maintain them.So better to stay away unless you're 100% aware of what you're getting in to...2003/04 cars are going cheap nowadays so it's very tempting to buy but they are mostly hacked or require major engine repairs.Do not buy unless you are familiar with cars' history or if the owner has maintained it properly with proper parts and a history record.

Admittedly there are more people who can repair them nowadays compared to when I had my older model RXs but its still a hassle to own one.Try an Evo or a Sti...They may not look good as the RX but just as fast and infinitely modifiable.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

If your going for a 6 port Renises motor , you will never have good fuel economy as they thrive for fuel every second . Here in New Zealand, the RX8's usually get rebuilt after 70K-120,000 k's depends on how you drive them and the amount of care and products you give to the car. Two most common problems as to best of my knowledge - starter motor giving up and Engine losing compression when hot . I don't think there are good rotary re builders in Sri Lanka .