• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Break Disc

zebra

Question

Hi Guys, Just want to know if any one in Srilanka have replaced the break disc. Its interesting cause my vehicle has done 115,000KM and I have to replace both the front and rear break disc. Could it be that due to high speed highway driving causes the discs to wear faster. Cause back in SL I have only replaced the break pads/shoes but never disc.

16 answers to this question

Well the car is a 2008 Volvo XC90. Every year the car has to pass like a road worthy test and the center told me to replace the rear disc before the next test. Today I dropped the car off at Volvo agent for the 6th service which is big service. They called and said that the pads and discs need replacing ( can run max 10,000 KM).

Some newer vehicles have discs which are thinner than before and sometimes made of composite material. This is to reduce weight. For this reason manufacturers reccomend change of brake discs at pre set intervals or when the disc reaches a particular thickness. As a main agent they have the criteria for meassuring this.

Last time my car got new pads, they told me they will check if the discs need replacing, and they did the messurements and told me it could last a bit longer (this was a main agent).

So if the agent tells you new discs and pads are needed they kind of do, if you want to keep the car within manufacturer specs maintained at the agent. What I do know is parts will be cheaper outside the main agent, but then you lose your service history.

Hi Guys, Just want to know if any one in Srilanka have replaced the break disc. Its interesting cause my vehicle has done 115,000KM and I have to replace both the front and rear break disc. Could it be that due to high speed highway driving causes the discs to wear faster. Cause back in SL I have only replaced the break pads/shoes but never disc.

Whats the car and who has advised you to change brake discs?

Brake discs do need to be replaced under three scenarios

1. The discs have worn beyond the safe point necessary for the pads to bite in

2. The pads have cut into the disc and it cannot be safely re surfaced

3. The disc has warped due to heat

Whats the car and who has advised you to change brake discs?

Brake discs do need to be replaced under three scenarios

1. The discs have worn beyond the safe point necessary for the pads to bite in

2. The pads have cut into the disc and it cannot be safely re surfaced

3. The disc has warped due to heat

Well the car is a 2008 Volvo XC90. Every year the car has to pass like a road worthy test and the center told me to replace the rear disc before the next test. Today I dropped the car off at Volvo agent for the 6th service which is big service. They called and said that the pads and discs need replacing ( can run max 10,000 KM).

Our 2000/2001 Volvo S40 (Manual Transmission/Turbo Diesel) still running with all four original rotor discs. Now odo is over 120,000km.

I changed both the Subie and Alfa Discs.... fairly straight forward and inexpensive.

what was the place you bought them from ? how much did they set you back, were they OEM ones ?

Edited by NRX

Thanks VVTi. Called Semini motors. Brembo rotors are priced at Rs 4800 each for my car. Not a bad price at all I guess :)

They offer good value - got a set of Brembo pads myself

Also try a brand called STOPTECH (also marketed under the brand name CENTRIC)

It's an American brand which offers some great products at a very reasonable price

I've had some parts shipped in from www.rockauto.com who stock them - the wight & duty can be a concern but the parts themselves are quite reasonable and will offer a massive difference in performance if their pads were anything to go by

http://stoptech.com/

They offer good value - got a set of Brembo pads myself

Also try a brand called STOPTECH (also marketed under the brand name CENTRIC)

It's an American brand which offers some great products at a very reasonable price

I've had some parts shipped in from www.rockauto.com who stock them - the wight & duty can be a concern but the parts themselves are quite reasonable and will offer a massive difference in performance if their pads were anything to go by

http://stoptech.com/

Are the locally available Brembos made in Italy or China ? :D

Thanks VVTi. Called Semini motors. Brembo rotors are priced at Rs 4800 each for my car. Not a bad price at all I guess :)

I got down a set of Ferodo pads for the Subie 4 Pot that I am keeping as standby. Also keeping a set of Brembo rear pads (Germany) for the Alfa. Fronts are EBC Ultimax pads (UK). . Ferodos are from the US. Not sure of the final Country of Origin though.

• Like 1

hmmm the box looked like it may have come from somewhere in the E.U....

I'm not too certain

Don't think even the ones we get in Europe are made in Italy. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter. In things like that what matters is manufacturing techniques and designs rather than country of manufacture (its a big lump of steel after all).

Don't think even the ones we get in Europe are made in Italy. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter. In things like that what matters is manufacturing techniques and designs rather than country of manufacture (its a big lump of steel after all).

True that

These StopTech's i'm busy singing the praises of these days, are made in Taiwan!! .....and boy do they work lol :)