• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Iridium Plugs/ Axio Factory Fitted Spark Plugs

briansmith

What type of plugs(Iridium or normal) does axio 2010 models have?? Iridium plugs last long and apart. From its life time is there any benefits in using them?

Yes. The spark is more precise, predictable and consistent over the service period of a Iridium plug and the electrodes are thin but much resistant to wear when compared to a normal one. Hence the engine performance is better and uniform if you use a Iridium plug. However, the price tag is high.

Yes. The spark is more precise, predictable and consistent over the service period of a Iridium plug and the electrodes are thin but much resistant to wear when compared to a normal one. Hence the engine performance is better and uniform if you use a Iridium plug. However, the price tag is high.

Hi Rumesh,

Any advantage of using Platinum plugs ?

Hi Rumesh,

Well. it's cheaper eh ? :)

or are you confused ? From what I know every spark plug is made of a copper core. The only difference is the tip (Platinum/Iridium/etc) of the plug. Platinum is cheaper and Iridium is expensive (apart from their other qualities).

Edited by NRX

I was obviously relating to the tip. When I bought my Vitz, the owner mentioned about platinum plugs and I think car is running on them. In last maintenance bill says 4 plugs worth of 10K was used. How much those Iridiam plugs cost?

Edited by hrm

Hi Rumesh,

Nothing in particular. As NRX said above it is the price. Both platinum and iridium plugs lasts longer than a normal spark plug. Iridium is a tougher metal than platinum and hence the tip diameter can be as small as 0.6mm but the tip lasts long. Unless the manufacturer recommends iridium or platinum plugs for a particular engine, the performance difference between the three types within the first thousand kms will be hardly noticeable.

• Like 1

Always new copper (conventional ) plugs are better than new iridium or platinum ones.from performance perspective, copper is the best option.

Conventional copper plugs also have some sort of another material for the tips isn't it ? nickel or something ?

Conventional copper plugs also have some sort of another material for the tips isn't it ? nickel or something ?

yes, i think it is nickel, for these all types that middle core conductor is copper. conductivity of nickle should be higher than iridium or platinum.

yes, i think it is nickel, for these all types that middle core conductor is copper. conductivity of nickle should be higher than iridium or platinum.
In fact the conductivity of spark plug material is trivial because it is discharging a spark energy of less than 100 mJoules at a voltage of 15 kV in 1.5 mSeconds (figures are typical) on each strike. Hence a difference in resistance in the order of a few ohms would not cause any appreciable difference in performance on this factor alone. Consider the carbon fiber plug wires having a resistance figure in the order of 10 kOhms but would not cause any performance degradation.

Edit: In addition most of the spark plug designs have a built in resistor to suppress EMI.

Edited by Rumesh88

In fact the conductivity of spark plug material is trivial because it is discharging a spark energy of less than 100 mJoules at a voltage of 15 kV in 1.5 mSeconds (figures are typical) on each strike. Hence a difference in resistance in the order of a few ohms would not cause any appreciable difference in performance on this factor alone. Consider the carbon fiber plug wires having a resistance figure in the order of 10 kOhms but would not cause any performance degradation.

Edit: In addition most of the spark plug designs have a built in resistor to suppress EMI.

Here conductivity acts in different way. higher conductivity means electrons can be easily move through the material.

so , when a a high voltage is applied , charges will be accumulated at the tip very quickly so voltage propagation is fast and when the tip voltage reaches to the value that it can be jumped through the air gap then spark will be produced (of course the shape of tip is very important).

I still think that new conventional plug is better than new iridium plug.

anyway resistor used to suppress RFI will not be a problem as you mentioned the discharging energy is very small so the current flow is.

(you know that if we apply 10v to one end of 1k resister or 1000k resister , voltage of the other end will be 10v for both )

Edited by MV-5