• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Repairing Smart Key

Janaka822

Question

Dear Friends,

I’m using a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 which has a smart key. As you know, there is a manual key inserted to the key fob and I was using the manual key when the battery was down. Apparently, the plastic holder kind of thing of the manual key was broken while trying to open the door. I took it to a key repairer and they mentioned though it’s a manual key, it has an inbuilt IC unit hence they need about LKR 4000 just to produce a manual key. It was bit hard for me to believe this. I thought the smart key is programmed for keyless entry and the manual key is just an ordinary car key. Can I have your expert knowledge on this? Is there an IC inside the manual key which makes it that much expensive to repair?Dear Friends,

I’m using a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 which has a smart key. As you know, there is a manual key inserted to the key fob and I was using the manual key when the battery was down. Apparently, the plastic holder kind of thing of the manual key was broken while trying to open the door. I took it to a key repairer and they mentioned though it’s a manual key, it has an inbuilt IC unit hence they need about LKR 4000 just to produce a manual key. It was bit hard for me to believe this. I thought the smart key is programmed for keyless entry and the manual key is just an ordinary car key. Can I have your expert knowledge on this? Is there an IC inside the manual key which makes it that much expensive to repair? appreciate your help.

8 answers to this question

Dear Friends,

Im using a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 which has a smart key. As you know, there is a manual key inserted to the key fob and I was using the manual key when the battery was down. Apparently, the plastic holder kind of thing of the manual key was broken while trying to open the door. I took it to a key repairer and they mentioned though its a manual key, it has an inbuilt IC unit hence they need about LKR 4000 just to produce a manual key. It was bit hard for me to believe this. I thought the smart key is programmed for keyless entry and the manual key is just an ordinary car key. Can I have your expert knowledge on this? Is there an IC inside the manual key which makes it that much expensive to repair?Dear Friends,

Im using a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 which has a smart key. As you know, there is a manual key inserted to the key fob and I was using the manual key when the battery was down. Apparently, the plastic holder kind of thing of the manual key was broken while trying to open the door. I took it to a key repairer and they mentioned though its a manual key, it has an inbuilt IC unit hence they need about LKR 4000 just to produce a manual key. It was bit hard for me to believe this. I thought the smart key is programmed for keyless entry and the manual key is just an ordinary car key. Can I have your expert knowledge on this? Is there an IC inside the manual key which makes it that much expensive to repair? appreciate your help.

Some key comes with Immobilizer. Best bet would be to check with agents whether your car came with so called immobilizer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

Just to be clear is the plastic housing broken or is the entire circuit broken?

If its just the housing you can find a housing from eBay that matches and get it cut just like a normal key and fix the existing circuit onto it.

Dear Friends,

I’m using a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 which has a smart key. As you know, there is a manual key inserted to the key fob and I was using the manual key when the battery was down. Apparently, the plastic holder kind of thing of the manual key was broken while trying to open the door. I took it to a key repairer and they mentioned though it’s a manual key, it has an inbuilt IC unit hence they need about LKR 4000 just to produce a manual key. It was bit hard for me to believe this. I thought the smart key is programmed for keyless entry and the manual key is just an ordinary car key. Can I have your expert knowledge on this? Is there an IC inside the manual key which makes it that much expensive to repair?Dear Friends,

I’m using a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 which has a smart key. As you know, there is a manual key inserted to the key fob and I was using the manual key when the battery was down. Apparently, the plastic holder kind of thing of the manual key was broken while trying to open the door. I took it to a key repairer and they mentioned though it’s a manual key, it has an inbuilt IC unit hence they need about LKR 4000 just to produce a manual key. It was bit hard for me to believe this. I thought the smart key is programmed for keyless entry and the manual key is just an ordinary car key. Can I have your expert knowledge on this? Is there an IC inside the manual key which makes it that much expensive to repair? appreciate your help.

Normally Suzuki key has a immobilizer transponder sensor in it. If you have the broken key with you, simply buy a key housing and any locksmith will be able to duplicate your key pattern to it. Then extract this transponder sensor from old key and fix it to the new key housing. Google "suzuki transponder key"

Edited by GQ_Over_MQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGUxxzpVzs

Hi GQ_Over_MQ,

Thanks for your advice. A locksmith suggested the same however he wanted Rs. 4000 for it which seems to be not reasonable. He said extraction of transponder is very time consuming (though it's a few minutes job as per the video). Can anyone suggest a place to get this done at a reasonable rate ?? tks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGUxxzpVzs

Hi GQ_Over_MQ,

Thanks for your advice. A locksmith suggested the same however he wanted Rs. 4000 for it which seems to be not reasonable. He said extraction of transponder is very time consuming (though it's a few minutes job as per the video). Can anyone suggest a place to get this done at a reasonable rate ?? tks

re-posting on the correct place...

Hi GQ_Over_MQ,

re-posting on the correct place...

Hi GQ_Over_MQ,

You can buy a key housing for less than $10 in ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=suzuki%20vitara%20key%20housing&rt=nc&LH_FS=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Also, there are many places in Darley road you can buy a key housing. There is no special skill required to extract the transponder. You can do it your own. Just get the key duplicated and do some homework. I guess Key housing and duplication will cost you about Rs.1500