• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Lamp Light Went On

jay100

Question

Hi,

I have a 1999 Honda Euro Accord - CF3 and as soon as I start the car and press on the brake pedal, the brake lamp comes on and stays on until the car is off. I have checked and replaced all the bulbs in the back too.

What could it be?

please refer the attached image....

post-67649-0-62542800-1459268303_thumb.j

4 answers to this question

The brake light switch is connected to the brake pedal of the car. When you step on the brake pedal, the brake lights turn on. If the switch is faulty, the brake lights will not work. This happened to my previous car. After years of use the little knob that the switch is pressed upon went brittle n broke off. the light was on always.

on this video you will see the purple colour knob which on mine was broken...maybe its the same as yours or even the switch might be at fault.

here is another link as well

Edited by Muditha420

It could also be corroded brake light sockets or a burnt brake light. These are dual filament bulbs so one filament could be burnt. According to this when you press the brake pedal the system checks how much electricity is drawn from the brake lights, if it detects a anomaly it'll throw out the brake light warning. Could be corroded sockets that's giving a bad contact.

• Like 1

If it is the switch, the light will stay on even if you switch off the car. I had this issue in my Vios where the little rubber grommet thing had fallen and the microswitch plunger was going through the hole previously occupied by the grommet. As for systems checking how much electricity goes through etc, that's only an issue on cars with CANBUS systems, which only started appearing in the early 2000s I believe.

Edit: My bad, I was reading this on my mobile and the attachment did not load. I was under the assumption the brake lamp referred to the actual bulb and not the dashboardindicator. Just checked with my dad on this, as we had a 1992 Accord when living in camel land; there is in fact a resistance based circuit which checked for burnt lamps. It works by keeping the circuit energized by pumping a tiny amount of current through the circuit through both the tail light and brake light circuit. It's a high resistance circuit, so rust and almost any other kind of impedance can make the dashboard indicator light up.

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 2