• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On First Car To Learn Driving

Sathindra

Question

I am a freshly graduated engineer who still seeking a job. We have very old car (2 Sri) which was stayed in the garage for last 15 years or so. Due to financial problem in those days, we were not able afford its maintenance. Now it is in bad shape (break binding,dead battery and lots of tinkering).

At present our financial level is better having my sister is working and I completed my studies. So we are thinking about getting a new car. My self and my sister still don't know to drive and my father does. My sister is quite busy with her work and Masters. So for her going for a learners not a practical option. Therefore we thought to get our own vehicle to learn driving.

We are considering 3 options

1. Spend around 100k and repair the old car.

2. Buy old sedan around 1 mil ( Something like Proton WIRA, FB13 or CB8) with private leasing

3. Buy relatively new compact around 1.7 mil ( Something like Viva Elite) with bank leasing

We are not intend to keep whatever the car we are gonna get for more than a year. When I settled in a job, we intend to buy a brand new car( with me fathers permit, hoping government offer it back). So durability is not a important concern. Some depreciation is acceptable as well. Thought best option seems to be option 1, my mother is concerned with the appearance for social acceptance. I think 3rd option is risky as a someone just learning to drive, damages could become expensive to deal with. So I am leaning towards the 2nd option.

I am completely new to this area. Any advice would be welcome.

My father is saying that he thinks that it is better to buy something newer. He can drive, though he is not an expert about cars. His point is if we were able to get a something like Proton Wira, then we won't need to get another car for like next 2 or 3 year. It will suffice all our needs, assuming it is reliable car, mechanical vise. On the other hand, if we are to get something older, then we would have to sell it in 6 months or so and buy a new one.

Combined salary of my parents and sister is around 150k. So if we were to get a lease around 700k for 4 years, then rental would cost around 20k per month. Which is payable without much problem even without any help from me. They were planning on buying one from last August (Budget ruined all the plans). So there won't be any burden on me.

Lets say I am intend to keep it for much longer like 2 to 3 year, would it be a good idea to get a Proton Wira? All the reviews I found in internet very rarely they mentioned about any engine problem. Though they complain about interior material quality. So assuming old vehicles do have lots of repair (Finding one with decent condition seems quite hard), wouldn't it be more practical buy newer one?

Congrats & welcome to the forum !!!

I may repeat the same idea given by other members.

(1) First learn how to dive properly and safely. Go for good Lerner.

(2) For your busy sister, please help her by arranging a driving instructor whom does visit home and take individual lessons. Sometimes they bring their vehicle to your door step or after you buy your vehicle she can use your vehicle. There are many instructors(even lady instructors) appear on Sunday News papers and select any suitable polite instructor.

(3) Minimize going for loans. Buy a vehicle affordable at this instance. Even old Corolla DX , Maruti may good at this point. But get assistance from a good mechanic or technician when you select/purchase the vehicle.

(4) Be stable with a job first.

Don't much consider what others think on you & appearance for social acceptance at this moment. Be Stable with your own income source first. Other things will automatically come to you.

Below I got from FB junks , but I love that idea always. Just share it.

paper_zpsh1j1f7fn.jpg

Do stay in forum and that Ford Prefect may be good project after few years. (We too had a 2 Sri unit)

Good luck !!! :)

Thanks. I am not worried about what neighbors think. But my mother always want go in a good car ( We only had Bajaj Boxer 2002 bike), though she never talk about it. When we can, I wanted to give piece of her dreams. May be I am thinking from my heart, not my head. My parents and sister all have very stable income combined around 150k take home salary. So I don't have to give any support in pay back. Hence my income is practically irrelevant.

Lady instructor idea is really good. My sister stopped last learner due to he is a 'Sewalaya', though he suppose to be the best in the area. It was one of the main reasons we thought of getting a car for learning.

With the VAT increase, I think prices of the car would go up. That is why I am in much hurry to buy one.

Well if u find a good speciment of a Lancer box or even a Corolla AE80 or something, there is no need for u to u change it after 6 months.

Seems like at the end of the day the family wants the newest car possible. Which is understandable and I respect your parents for sticking to the right priorities of educating you and the sis. I know plenty of people who put all that a side and buy cars that cost more than the income.

The Wira is not a bad car. I believe in most Proton cars the internals are Mitsubishi (?).

Just dont get in to too much debt.

Also, I know time is of the essence with VAT hikes and stuff, but pls dont rush in to buying a car. There is a lot of dressed up junk out there and rushing might make u make hasty decisions.

Also, look in to getting a loan as well and compare againt a lease. Leases are marketed as a wonderful service by financial institutions but the reality csn be as wonderful as rotting in hell

Before you go hunting you should know the kind of jungle you enter to..Whether you buy a new or repair the old, Pl make sure to know the road rules first. It doesn't matter what car you drive if you don't know how the road works!

• Like 1

Combined salary of my parents and sister is around 150k. So if we were to get a lease around 700k for 4 years, then rental would cost around 20k per month. Which is payable without much problem even without any help from me. They were planning on buying one from last August (Budget ruined all the plans). So there won't be any burden on me.

Lets say I am intend to keep it for much longer like 2 to 3 year, would it be a good idea to get a Proton Wira? All the reviews I found in internet very rarely they mentioned about any engine problem. Though they complain about interior material quality. So assuming old vehicles do have lots of repair (Finding one with decent condition seems quite hard), wouldn't it be more practical buy newer one?

Thanks. I am not worried about what neighbors think. But my mother always want go in a good car ( We only had Bajaj Boxer 2002 bike), though she never talk about it. When we can, I wanted to give piece of her dreams. May be I am thinking from my heart, not my head. My parents and sister all have very stable income combined around 150k take home salary. So I don't have to give any support in pay back. Hence my income is practically irrelevant.

Lady instructor idea is really good. My sister stopped last learner due to he is a 'Sewalaya', though he suppose to be the best in the area. It was one of the main reasons we thought of getting a car for learning.

With the VAT increase, I think prices of the car would go up. That is why I am in much hurry to buy one.

Respect your parents thoughts same as iRage mentioned there and situation is more clear now. What I felt earlier was you are trying for a car without stable income for you. My apologies. I am much reluctant for loans.

Within your budget,when you go for newer vehicle more possibilities are hatchbacks, non-Japanese vehicles. For sedans you have to go for some older models.

Additionally to Proton Wira, just check the possibilities of Hyundai (Korean) cars which are not bad and probably you may find a comparatively newer one.

My sister also changed her first instructor due to abnormal lesson for clutch pedal. (wedipura kakula pegeema) ;)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Also, I know time is of the essence with VAT hikes and stuff, but pls dont rush in to buying a car. There is a lot of dressed up junk out there and rushing might make u make hasty decisions.

Also, look in to getting a loan as well and compare againt a lease. Leases are marketed as a wonderful service by financial institutions but the reality csn be as wonderful as rotting in hell

I have some idea that leasing gonna be a headache, but there doesn't seems find a way to get a loan from a decent place for that amount as my parents would retire in like year or so. My sisters salary goes to Sampath Bank last three years. But they seems to be the worst place to ask for a loan. So many conditions. That's why we thought about the leasing path. If you can suggest me any safe place My sister can get a loan, please let me know ( Even land brokerage is fine, if it is a bank)

I know the risk. That is why I am going with close friend who knows way around with vehicles, and a good mechanic who maintain his car (Fb15 or something) when I am looking for a car.

Respect your parents thoughts same as iRage mentioned there and situation is more clear now. What I felt earlier was you are trying for a car without stable income for you. My apologies.

Within your budget,when you go for newer vehicle more possibilities are hatchbacks, non-Japanese vehicles. For sedans you have to go for some older models.

Additionally to Proton Wira, just check the possibilities of Hyundai (korean) cars which are not bad and probably you met find out newer one.

My sister also changed her first instructor due to abnormal lesson for clutch pedal. (wedipura kakula pegeema) ;)

There is no need for apology, as I was too vague.

Are the Hyundai cars are reliable? As I recall, I read somewhere that Hyundai car before 2004 are not reliable. All I can find is Hyundai Accent 2002 (Considering Sonata is very bad in petrol). Is it a good car?

My sister had exact experience. Then she thought of giving up learning altogether,

Sathindra..Sorry to hear about the harassment your sister had to went through..believe me its not only women.When i had trials there was a guy with me. I don't judge people..but lets say this guy lacked a bit of personality. While he was handling the van..at one point the van was almost about to stop, the instructor yelled at him saying clutch eka..clutch eka..and finally clutch a OOiiii...and bang!!..A shot through his ear! Then he shouted again saying "Thamuseta ochchara kiyalath clutch eka hariyata deeganna bae ne". He ordered the learner driver to get down from the van and tried to start it by his own..THE VAN HAS RAN OUT OF GAS!!!

So its not just women even men sometimes being harassed by these idiots!

Edited by Shack

When I turn back and memories some decisions I made in my 20s, NOW I see some of them not the 100% correct decisions I had to take. But nothing I can do as they belongs to history. Still I see you are not in a good stable financial state to buying a car (according to your above explanations). Collecting even family members money and getting a car, may (may not) make future troubles. One example : your sister get marry and need to start their own family life. Then who will pay the lease / bank loan ?

I am not against you or your hopes. Also I can understand parents dreams / hopes. Seems this is not the best time for you to buying a car.

Again I am saying, find a good stable job first. Except M.B.B.S graduates, its difficult to find a good job. Also the first job/company may not the best one. When you face some interviews, you will realize this. You are in the beginning steps in life (Dont get angry with me, but that is the truth).

Push the car owning idea another 1-2 years and be stable in your life first. Then you can fulfill parents hopes better than today. Good luck !!!

• Like 2

When I turn back and memories some decisions I made in my 20s, NOW I see some of them not the 100% correct decisions I had to take. But nothing I can do as they belongs to history. Still I see you are not in a good stable financial state to buying a car (according to your above explanations). Collecting even family members money and getting a car, may (may not) make future troubles. One example : your sister get marry and need to start their own family life. Then who will pay the lease / bank loan ?

I am not against you or your hopes. Also I can understand parents dreams / hopes. Seems this is not the best time for you to buying a car.

Again I am saying, find a good stable job first. Except M.B.B.S graduates, its difficult to find a good job. Also the first job/company may not the best one. When you face some interviews, you will realize this. You are in the beginning steps in life (Dont get angry with me, but that is the truth).

Push the car owning idea another 1-2 years and be stable in your life first. Then you can fulfill parents hopes better than today. Good luck !!!

Wise words from Kusumsiri!. When i started work back in 2003 i had a target to buy a car in 5 years. it was a short term goal.Guess what..I bought my first car as soon as in the middle of 5th year at work. and then i got married.End of story!

Edited by Shack
  • Like 1

We have postpone it time and again. We are not planning to do it again. When I tell that 150k combined salary, it consist of 135k from parents and extra 15k my sister gives for home expenses (not her whole salary, large potion she saves)

So practically there won't be any issue with pay back (both parents have pensions). So for my understanding this is the best time as other expenses are at there lowest (Having completed my studies). I am a Electrical and Information Engineer from University of Ruhuna. I am too picky with jobs, that's why I am still unemployed, not because there isn't any jobs.

I know you mean well. But I think it would less applicable in my case.