• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are used / second hand Xenon bulbs any good ?

timmy

Question

Hi, I just want to know if the second hand / used Xenon bulbs sold in shops in Delkanda are good for use and will give adequate output ? 

OR should I go replace with original bulbs from manufacturer ?

My question is based on light output - that is are both bulbs giving the same volume of light and differ only by how long they can be used ?

I jus want a bulb that give enough light. Currently both sides of the car has used / second hand Xenon bulbs from Delkanda and the light output is really low despite being HID Xenon. And the car is factory fitted with Xenon and the shield on the lamp.

Looking forward to some helpful advice.

timmy

12 answers to this question

Chinese HID/Xenon bulbs will never give the same light output as the OEM ones(which are normally sourced from a reputed manufacture) 

Normally OEM bulbs are made by Koito, Phillips etc.
You can get these from eBay but they wont be cheap 

1 hour ago, Quiet said:

Well i guess reading your question, It self contains the answer.

I thought the light output being low was partly due to the shield on the lamp (they are not projection lamps). It looks pretty dim. The OEM ones cost a fortune and I would like to know if they would make a difference in the brightness.

I was led to believe that bulbs from Delkanda were used OEM bulbs, or are they Chinese branded ones ?

8 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Chinese HID/Xenon bulbs will never give the same light output as the OEM ones(which are normally sourced from a reputed manufacture) 

Normally OEM bulbs are made by Koito, Phillips etc.
You can get these from eBay but they wont be cheap 

Yes I found a few sources (from UK) on eBay who would ship Osram bulbs, but I'd like to know would they deliver the bulbs to Sri Lanka without any damage ?

Is there any reliable place in Sri Lanka that I can buy Osram / Philips or any other reputed branded Xenon HID bulbs ?

I thought the bulbs from Delkanda were used/second hand OEM bulbs and not Chinese ones, or are they ?

36 minutes ago, timmy said:

Yes I found a few sources (from UK) on eBay who would ship Osram bulbs, but I'd like to know would they deliver the bulbs to Sri Lanka without any damage ?

Is there any reliable place in Sri Lanka that I can buy Osram / Philips or any other reputed branded Xenon HID bulbs ?

I thought the bulbs from Delkanda were used/second hand OEM bulbs and not Chinese ones, or are they ?

If it gets damaged during shipping they will normally refund you or send another pair
and im not sure if theres any reliable place to buy in SL also Im not sure what sort of bulbs are sold at Delkanda

Any genuine bulb will have the brand/wattage/volts/bulb type marked in clear fonts. Most of the cheap bulbs do not have any markings

Edited by Magnum

Out of curiosity how much was the Delkada prices? what sort of bulb you referring to H4,H7,H1??

the bulbs usually have yellow letters printed at the base of the bulb it self.

Lower light output can be the following, corrosion, defective ballast, improper wiring, improper contacts etc

so your lower output can be either the above or combination of used bulbs and used ballast.... Dont expect the same output from a Chinese bulb though, even at 1st it might be good as time goes it gradually goes down in output.

3 hours ago, Muditha420 said:

Out of curiosity how much was the Delkada prices? what sort of bulb you referring to H4,H7,H1??

the bulbs usually have yellow letters printed at the base of the bulb it self.

Lower light output can be the following, corrosion, defective ballast, improper wiring, improper contacts etc

so your lower output can be either the above or combination of used bulbs and used ballast.... Dont expect the same output from a Chinese bulb though, even at 1st it might be good as time goes it gradually goes down in output.

Thanks, Im going to get the lights looked into by an electrician before buying the bulbs. Isn't there a guy near Alexander Place in Dehiwala who looks into headlights ?

Or else can someone recommend a good place / electrician to get the lights checked ?

I cant remember the bulb type exactly. It was some "D2R Osram XENARC" something.

Edited by timmy

On 05/01/2017 at 11:18 AM, timmy said:

Hi, I just want to know if the second hand / used Xenon bulbs sold in shops in Delkanda are good for use and will give adequate output ? 

OR should I go replace with original bulbs from manufacturer ?

My question is based on light output - that is are both bulbs giving the same volume of light and differ only by how long they can be used ?

I jus want a bulb that give enough light. Currently both sides of the car has used / second hand Xenon bulbs from Delkanda and the light output is really low despite being HID Xenon. And the car is factory fitted with Xenon and the shield on the lamp.

Looking forward to some helpful advice.

timmy

Never buy used (or anything else other than original or OEM parts in original packaging from a dependable source) when it comes to bulbs and lighting components on you car. Why?

1. Bulbs start to deteriorate as soon as they are used, so used bulbs are never as good as they were when they were new. The longer they are used, the less light output they produce.

2. You can never tell how much the second hand bulbs were used. They may gave out 90% of their output (and have 90% of their lifespan intact )or they may have only 50% of their lifespan intact  and give out only 60%-70% of their intended light output due to being used heavily. 

3. How can you tell if one is buying OEM parts if they are taken out of the packing and are grimy with use? You can't (At least I can't). Its hard enough, even when the parts are new, sealed, and inside the original packing (which is why you have to buy from a reputable source); it will be near impossible when the parts are used. 

On 05/01/2017 at 11:06 PM, timmy said:

I thought the light output being low was partly due to the shield on the lamp (they are not projection lamps). It looks pretty dim. The OEM ones cost a fortune and I would like to know if they would make a difference in the brightness.

I was led to believe that bulbs from Delkanda were used OEM bulbs, or are they Chinese branded ones ?

OEM ones cost a fortune and yes they are much better, but those are the ones you want. Don't believe me? Buy a cheap Chinese pair or fake OEM bulbs off the internet and see what happens. The trishaws driving next to you will most likely produce more light output! 

Trust me, one of the things you don't want to cheap out on; are light bulbs for your car. Another would be condoms, but that's a whole different story.... :D 

Edited by Kavvz

58 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Never buy used (or anything else other than original or OEM parts in original packaging from a dependable source) when it comes to bulbs and lighting components on you car. Why?

1. Bulbs start to deteriorate as soon as they are used, so used bulbs are never as good as they were when they were new. The longer they are used, the less light output they produce.

2. You can never tell how much the second hand bulbs were used. They may gave out 90% of their output (and have 90% of their lifespan intact )or they may have only 50% of their lifespan intact  and give out only 60%-70% of their intended light output due to being used heavily. 

3. How can you tell if one is buying OEM parts if they are taken out of the packing and are grimy with use? You can't (At least I can't). Its hard enough, even when the parts are new, sealed, and inside the original packing (which is why you have to buy from a reputable source); it will be near impossible when the parts are used. 

OEM ones cost a fortune and yes they are much better, but those are the ones you want. Don't believe me? Buy a cheap Chinese pair or fake OEM bulbs off the internet and see what happens. The trishaws driving next to you will most likely produce more light output! 

Trust me, one of the things you don't want to cheap out on; are light bulbs for your car. Another would be condoms, but that's a whole different story.... :D 

Yeah I have been there but luckily I was able to spot the fake