• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Emissions Testing Device

dayanpad

Hi All

Have a nice day

I am planing to design a petrel car Emissions Testing device using Arduino which measure the output of silencer

Please advice what kind of air type and what percentage should be measured by the sensors 

Your ideas in this regard is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Edited by dayanpad

basically I think a Global-standard device need sensors to measure CO2,NOx and Particles apart from Temperature,RPM etc. The parameters for the SW,Calibration probably depends on the linearization Curves of the sensors chosen,Analog or Digital. So you are a programmer?

• Like 1

Interesting thread! I've been quite interested in Arduino myself, so I'm keen to find out how this goes. :)

The local emissions testing measure two types of gasses emitted from the tail pipe of a vehicle. The standards differ with the type of fuel (petrol or diesel) and the type of vehicle (bike, three wheeler, car, van, heavy vehicles etc.).

For petrol vehicles, Carbon Monoxide percentage and Hydrocarbon density is measured. For diesels, the "K factor" is measured. K factor is the "density of smoke"  upon instant acceleration.

More info on the DMT site here:

http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=149&lang=en

My initial thought is that you might initially want to get it to work for just one type of fuel. Say petrol. You may have to to a bit of research to find out what actually constitutes as "hydrocarbons" in the context of local testing. 

Edit: 

You may also want to check out the Arduino forum. Pretty sure you will be able to find loads of info on this and even others who have attempted this. 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Dear ajm and Davy

Really thanks for your initial encouragement to start works on that

Am going to use following sensors so please let me know if you have experience with them using emission testing

Is any one should know the current ppm ( parts per million ) amount of in atmosphere related to output of bellow sensors

Thanks in advance

MQ-136.jpg

mq4.jpg

MQ 7.jpg

co2.jpg

Edited by dayanpad

It is interesting if you could do it in your own.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:41 PM, dayanpad said:

Please advice what kind of air type and what percentage should be measured by the sensors 

For the existing standards and the emission parameters measured in SL, you could refer the government official website given by Davy.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:57 PM, dayanpad said:

Is any one should know the current ppm ( parts per million ) amount of in atmosphere related to output of bellow sensors

I think, to cover all the parameters (pollutant types) you may have to use different sensors.
The Petrol and Diesel emissions are differently measured.
For instance:
Petrol: CO, CO2, HC
Diesel: k-factor (diesel opacity, measured using graph-function)

Although emission can be detected using the sensors that you mentioned, you may have to write a program to log the measured values and apply graph function to take average.

At a note, emission amount changes with acceleration/RPM as well.
For a full-fledge working emission tester, you may have to include RPM senser as well.

I'm very much interested to look forward your project.

Please keep us informed.

Edited by gnaveendra
to eliminate redundancy

On 5/7/2017 at 10:57 PM, dayanpad said:

Am going to use following sensors so please let me know if you have experience with them using emission testing

The sensor numbers that posted is just for example or right one?

MQ-136 is not necessary because no need to measure H2S
MQ-4 is also not necessary as it measures CH4
In addition to MQ-9, you may have to find a sensor to measure HC, Diesel Opacity and engine RPM.

I think all these may have to be connected with Arduino.
Finally you have to embed graph-function in your programming to reveal the average.