• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Audi car repairs

Samanthi

Question

Hi all

Im looking for recommendations on a place / person for repairing and maintaining an Audi A6 2004 model.

I am disappointed with the so called famous alternative place to the agents. They were very careless- I sent my car for a service/ Check up after buying it and and they returned it 4 days later claiming to have done the service, a few interior touch ups and a cut and polish.

I then took it to a tyre shop(same day) for a wheel alignment and they noticed the CV joint boot was broken. 

I expected the experts to have done a basis check at the service and noticed above. When I sent to replace the boot 2 days later they have given a list of repairs for 60k. 

Is this normal? Should they not have noticed these and told me when I went to collect the car after the service.

Do advise and let me know what other options I have

Thanking you in advance

Sam

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Samanthi said:

Hi all

Im looking for recommendations on a place / person for repairing and maintaining an Audi A6 2004 model.

I am disappointed with the so called famous alternative place to the agents. They were very careless- I sent my car for a service/ Check up after buying it and and they returned it 4 days later claiming to have done the service, a few interior touch ups and a cut and polish.

I then took it to a tyre shop(same day) for a wheel alignment and they noticed the CV joint boot was broken. 

I expected the experts to have done a basis check at the service and noticed above. When I sent to replace the boot 2 days later they have given a list of repairs for 60k. 

Is this normal? Should they not have noticed these and told me when I went to collect the car after the service.

Thanking you in advance

Sam

Check your inbox.

• Like 1

60k for a cv boot change? Maybe they also found some control arm/bushes need replacement? Yes,the ride is super comfortable and handling is top,but the suspension arm system is very advanced (no direct link between wheels and body,like "atapattam" frame)

you can get a bootkit for Rs.3000 each at D@rsana Motors etc in panchikawatta. But the removal of cv joint can take one year if you try the Japanese way. With the correct and easy way,just 5mins.(if you own such a car,be prepared for searching in youtube for instructions,and showing it to the mechanics before they start )

17 hours ago, Samanthi said:

Hi all

Thanking you in advance

Sam

You can't expect us to tell you if the price is fair with us not knowing what is covered in this so called "list of repairs" 

7 hours ago, ajm said:

60k for a cv boot change? Maybe they also found some control arm/bushes need replacement? Yes,the ride is super comfortable and handling is top,but the suspension arm system is very advanced (no direct link between wheels and body,like "atapattam" frame)

you can get a bootkit for Rs.3000 each at D@rsana Motors etc in panchikawatta. But the removal of cv joint can take one year if you try the Japanese way. With the correct and easy way,just 5mins.(if you own such a car,be prepared for searching in youtube for instructions,and showing it to the mechanics before they start )

The atapattam suspension is called double wishbone :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Stig said:

You can't expect us to tell you if the price is fair with us not knowing what is covered in this so called "list of repairs" 

The atapattam suspension is called double wishbone :D

yes, wanted to make it easier to understand. Not seen as standard in many Japanese cars,only high end?

the lifetime of the arm bushes is not considered enough even in countries with better roads,so I doubt about the suitability for our road conditions.

Edited by ajm

37 minutes ago, ajm said:

yes, wanted to make it easier to understand. Not seen as standard in many Japanese cars,only high end?

the lifetime of the arm bushes is not considered enough even in countries with better roads,so I doubt about the suitability for our road conditions.

Double wishbone take a lot of space to implement eating into the engine compartment and overall space, therefore it's not very feasible for subcompact and compact sedans. Also adds a lot of weight and more joints mean more repairs in the future. 

The last jap compact sedan to have double wishbone fronts were the ek3 I believe. 

4 hours ago, The Stig said:

Double wishbone take a lot of space to implement eating into the engine compartment and overall space, therefore it's not very feasible for subcompact and compact sedans. Also adds a lot of weight and more joints mean more repairs in the future. 

The last jap compact sedan to have double wishbone fronts were the ek3 I believe. 

in case of Audis they are aluminum,so surprisingly light compared to size. But the bushes don't survive the lifetime of car,the cheaper Chinese ones not even 30000kms.you can still drive.but need to live with suspension noises.

Edited by ajm

On 6/9/2017 at 2:36 AM, ajm said:

Thank you for the tips.

Any person that you can recommend for me to entrust the job

the quote received is attached

IMG_2863.JPG

14 hours ago, Samanthi said:

Thank you for the tips.

Any person that you can recommend for me to entrust the job

the quote received is attached

IMG_2863.JPG

all excluding 8. is parts cost? Seems a bit higher than if you buy the parts in pchikawatta.

3,4,5. As discussed,the car has some suspension issues,better get corrected before it gets worse.

6. Is for bootkit only? It costs only about rs3000,when I bought last December at D@rsana Enterprises in pchkavatta. There are 2 or 3 other shops specialized in European spare parts,better go there and get a quote first.

7.means gearbox oil? Unless your car is 4wd, it has no differentials. Gearbox oil costs only about rs1000 per litre

my car is down south,so can't help much with mechanics in Colombo. I have an independent mechanic, but sometimes I have to find information on internet when he gets stuck about how to remove something. I think if you are willing to spend some own time and effort,you could get it done for about half the quoted price. But I get most of my small parts directly from Germany,and keep a stock of depreciating items.it is cheaper even considering postage cost.?

Edited by ajm