• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol smell in the cabin before start the car

Luck

Question

16 answers to this question

Thanks for your time, Peugeot 406 D8 1999 Brand new, no tune ups done recently and the my mechanic said its no worth to unplug fuel injectors and tuned up, there fore he suggest that in the long trip specific Liquid(I cant remember the name) add to the petrol tank and running.

20 minutes ago, Luck said:

Thanks for your time, Peugeot 406 D8 1999 Brand new, no tune ups done recently and the my mechanic said its no worth to unplug fuel injectors and tuned up, there fore he suggest that in the long trip specific Liquid(I cant remember the name) add to the petrol tank and running.

is it liquid name is "soltron" ?
Could it be due to some leakage in fuel line ?

Does this happen after you switch on ignition but before starting the engine? If so before you switch on ignition, open the hood and sniff out for smell and then do the same after switching on ignition but without starting the engine. Particularly observe short hose sections connecting to/from fuel rail for possible leaks. You should be able to figure out whether the leak is from engine side or from back of the car. If it is from back of the car get your mechanic to remove rear seat and inspect the sealing cap/fuel gauge sender unit.

1 hour ago, PerfMad said:

is it liquid name is "soltron" ?
Could it be due to some leakage in fuel line ?

I cant rem the exact name..my mechanic did not identified any problem relating to fuel system in that day,bcz that day my car had a backfire when start and didn't start the car,he thought empty fuel tank and refilled petrol, then car started  normally..my car's fuel gauge have not been working correctly..

30 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

Does this happen after you switch on ignition but before starting the engine? If so before you switch on ignition, open the hood and sniff out for smell and then do the same after switching on ignition but without starting the engine. Particularly observe short hose sections connecting to/from fuel rail for possible leaks. You should be able to figure out whether the leak is from engine side or from back of the car. If it is from back of the car get your mechanic to remove rear seat and inspect the sealing cap/fuel gauge sender unit.

before starting the engine.. another thing I have to ask from you, whether empty or low fuel tank can cause this problem? there is no visible fuel leak..and also my fuel gauge not working correctly..

Edited by Luck

1 minute ago, Luck said:

before starting the engine.. another thing I have to ask from you, whether empty or low fuel tank can cause this problem? there is no visible fuel leak..and also my fuel gauge not working correctly..

While driving there is no fuel smell in the cabin.

@Luck An empty tank cannot be the cause of the smell but it can add to the basic issue by generating a larger volume of evaporated fuel than when the tank is full . Seems like either you have a leaky sealing cap under the seat or leak in the EVAP control system. Immediately after a run listen for the faint hissing sound as you open the fuel cap and air is sucked in from outside. If you do not get to hear a hiss then there is a leak somewhere in the fuel pump fitting/evap control/fuel inlet hose.

Edited by Rumesh88

19 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

@Luck An empty tank cannot be the cause of the smell but it can add to the basic issue by generating a larger volume of evaporated fuel than when the tank is full . Seems like either you have a leaky sealing cap under the seat or leak in the EVAP control system. Immediately after a run listen for the faint hissing sound as you open the fuel cap and air is sucked in from outside. If you do not get to hear a hiss then there is a leak somewhere in the fuel pump fitting/evap control/fuel inlet hose.

Thank you Rumesh..I will update you tomorrow..

I would like to input my problem here without opening another thread. I have a corolla 121 2002 and it gives strong patrol smell about an hour after a trip (i.e. after an hour I come home). This started with an engine miss about one month back. When I try to pick up after waiting in a traffic, engine suddenly stops, but I was able to start after 2-3 seconds. Never face issues in cold start. Any idea ?

Edited by Nisala
add example

6 minutes ago, Nisala said:

I would like to input my problem here without opening another thread. I have a corolla 121 2002 and it gives strong patrol smell about an hour after a trip (i.e. after an hour I come home). This started with an engine miss about one month back. When I try to pick up after waiting in a traffic, engine suddenly stops, but I was able to start after 2-3 seconds. Never face issues in cold start. Any idea ?

'Engine miss' issue gone, but petrol smell remains :)

1 hour ago, Nisala said:

'Engine miss' issue gone, but petrol smell remains :)

As far as i know there is a special sort of filter (if you look from the outside) in engine bay compartment, to absorb this petrol gas which will be built inside petrol tank (correct me if iam wrong), this smell could be due to malfunction in that system or if you are getting it from the back side, then probably some leakage in fuel line could be a possibility as well..

@Rumesh88 may be able to give you a better resolution on this matter i believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerfMad said:

As far as i know there is a special sort of filter (if you look from the outside) in engine bay compartment, to absorb this petrol gas which will be built inside petrol tank (correct me if iam wrong), this smell could be due to malfunction in that system or if you are getting it from the back side, then probably some leakage in fuel line could be a possibility as well..

@Rumesh88 may be able to give you a better resolution on this matter i believe.

What @PerfMad meant is the charcoal canister which is a part of the EVAP control system designed to capture and burn petrol fumes generated in the tank. Yes that is one possibility for the pertol smell if there is an issue with it. After a run stop the engine slowly open the fuel cap. You should be able to hear a faint hiss as the air being sucked in to the tank. This is a simple but partial check on EVAP control. 

But if the engine misses and stalls at traffic lights for example it could be due to injector washers leaking vacuum into the manifold. Better to check them and have them replaced.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, Rumesh88 said:

What @PerfMad meant is the charcoal canister which is a part of the EVAP control system designed to capture and burn petrol fumes generated in the tank. Yes that is one possibility for the pertol smell if there is an issue with it. After a run stop the engine slowly open the fuel cap. You should be able to hear a faint hiss as the air being sucked in to the tank. This is a simple but partial check on EVAP control. 

But if the engine misses and stalls at traffic lights for example it could be due to injector washers leaking vacuum into the manifold. Better to check them and have them replaced.

Thanks for the valuable comments... I will update you once I repair this.

23 hours ago, Nisala said:

Thanks for the valuable comments... I will update you once I repair this.

Hi Friends, today morning I went to Edirsngha garage @udahamulla. They checked and decided to do an engine tune up because no petrol leak is visible. They told the spark plugs are in good condition but injectors are blocked. So I had to pay only the labor charge. Will see next 2-3 days whether the problem solved.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎14 at 9:19 AM, Luck said:

Thank you Rumesh..I will update you tomorrow..

Thanks Rumesh...and also thanks to God, now there is no any petrol smell in the cabin after I filled fuel (bcz the fuel warning light on in that situation) but I'm still in the mind about the points you suggested.. there fore I will check my car with my mechanic as soon as possible..and I will update you..sorry I forgot to check the fuel cap after a run..i will update you about it as soon as possible.