• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best car for 1.5m

Iroshw

Question

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a car for 1.5m. I seek your advises/suggestions based on my interests;

• Engine capacity should be less than 1300cc (prefer 1000cc) as I used to travel a lot
  • Prefer Auto but Manual is also fine
  • Should have 2nd hand market
  • Easy maintenance
  • YOM should be 2000 or above
  • Should be Full option (including power shutters for all four doors, power mirrors, etc)
  • No Alto or Maruti

Cars in my list - Kelisa, Panda 1.0, March K11

Irosh

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Iroshw said:

Thanks for the comment. My concern is Fuel consumption, but heard that it depends on the body weight. 

Depends on what kind of travelling you do. If you are going to be stuck in traffic 90% of your time then yes the small capacity engine will do well. However, if you are going to be climbing mountains and driving fast on open roads then the larger "engined" car will actually be better on fuel because the small "engined" car will have to work a lot harder than the large "engined" car. 

2 hours ago, Iroshw said:

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a car for 1.5m. I seek your advises/suggestions based on my interests;

• Engine capacity should be less than 1300cc (prefer 1000cc) as I used to travel a lot
  • Prefer Auto but Manual is also fine
  • Should have 2nd hand market
  • Easy maintenance
  • YOM should be 2000 or above
  • Should be Full option (including power shutters for all four doors, power mirrors, etc)
  • No Alto or Maruti

Cars in my list - Kelisa, Panda 1.0, March K11

Irosh

Of the 3 mentioned Kelisa hands down. Been there done that it ticks all your requirements  and believe me it's a fun little car to drive, and rather easy to maintain. 

Just curios why do you say you want a 1000 cc if you travel a lot? If you actually travel long distance 1300 + will be better for you. 

11 minutes ago, matroska said:

Of the 3 mentioned Kelisa hands down. Been there done that it ticks all your requirements  and believe me it's a fun little car to drive, and rather easy to maintain. 

Just curios why do you say you want a 1000 cc if you travel a lot? If you actually travel long distance 1300 + will be better for you. 

Thanks for the comment. My concern is Fuel consumption, but heard that it depends on the body weight. 

But Kelisa is not full option right? And seems less ground clearance compared to Alto. What about the space compared to Alto? 

Edited by Iroshw

panda and K11 are not fuel efficient. Most of the 1.5L sedans do better than them. Also PANDA is not a durable machine for use. As one of friend (Auto Eng.) worked for Micro and told that never to buy panda b'coz after 50k gear box should have few issues. As i know it does around 8km/ltr and same as the K11.

Kelisa doesn't have good market here in srilanka. So i think you better to think some thing else. Alto will be a good option and incase you don't like you have to adjust your budget or go for 300- one. AE100 will be the best one if you can find a good one.

Finally  my thought is don't go any of given 3 vehicles.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, Xtreme Auto said:

panda and K11 are not fuel efficient. Most of the 1.5L sedans do better than them. Also PANDA is not a durable machine for use. As one of friend (Auto Eng.) worked for Micro and told that never to buy panda b'coz after 50k gear box should have few issues. As i know it does around 8km/ltr and same as the K11.

Kelisa doesn't have good market here in srilanka. So i think you better to think some thing else. Alto will be a good option and incase you don't like you have to adjust your budget or go for 300- one. AE100 will be the best one if you can find a good one.

Well, there are versions of AE 100. And most of them are like in 1993, 1995, etc. I prefer a vehicle in 2000 or later. 

What do you think about Kia and Hyundai cars? 

Kia RIO

Kia Sephia 

Hyundai Accent

Hyundai Elantra

I heard that most of the above cars hacked in other countries and shipping to SL with changed millage. Is that true? 

That is not the only issue with old generation korean's. Very poor in fuel efficiency specially Kia Rio. Also it is hard to find spare parts. Technicians also don't like to touch these vehicles due to poor design of assembly. To remove one part they have to work with few other parts. So repair cost is high side. I used Kia Rio 2003 Auto for 10 months and it took me to garages more than 12 times. They looks pretty decent. But give lots of troubles.

I suggest you to go for a ALTO which used carefully and specially company maintained one. It save your money. Use it for 2 years and then you may adjust your budget and you can save some amount with maintenance and fuel cost. So you can go for a newer one with your desired requirements.

Alto is not a bad one as the bigger vehicle users says. Only thing you have to drive carefully, safety of this stuff is very poor. Earlier I also had a bad image of Alto but when i using it i  felt it is not that much bad. But it not comfortable like Kia.

We don't need to pay excess money for depreciated stuffs for little pleasure. I think this is the time that change peoples mind on using older vehicles which pollute environment.

On 29/09/2017 at 5:52 PM, Xtreme Auto said:

Don't agree with this Xtreme Auto. Kelisa is realy good little car. I was after a one last year. Well maintained auto ones get sold pretty fast. 

The best you can do for 1.5 mil is probably a 2003 Kelisa manual one.

One other option you have is Mazda Demio DW3W (1998-2002). Average on fuel(can expect 8-9 in city, 13-14 outstation with my way of driving. You will be able to do better if you drive like a hybrid driver :P). But it's a bullet proof car with lot of space and decent driving dynamics. Price of an auto one is around 1.6mil-1.7mil. This is what I bought instead of a Kelisa.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 12:49 AM, SamG said:

Don't agree with this Xtreme Auto. Kelisa is realy good little car. I was after a one last year. Well maintained auto ones get sold pretty fast. 

One other option you have is Mazda Demio DW3W (1998-2002). Average on fuel(can expect 8-9 in city, 13-14 outstation with my way of driving. You will be able to do better if you drive like a hybrid driver :P). But it's a bullet proof car with lot of space and decent driving dynamics. Price of an auto one is around 1.6mil-1.7mil. This is what I bought instead of a Kelisa.

Hi, how about the fuel efficiency of Kelisa

On 10/6/2017 at 12:49 AM, SamG said:

yeah agree with you on that....i actually sold the wifes 2005 Kelisa (auto ~70,000 km on the clock) within 6 hours of going up for sale couple years ago.