• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

hyundai Sonata 2012/2013

dantoddd

Question

4 answers to this question

Nothing particularly wrong with it (besides..you never get a thing called a "perfect" car with nothing wrong with it either).

Why is the Sonata cheaper ? Well..perhaps the initial selling price of the car when brand new was lower than that of the Camry and Accord...

Then there is also the public's misguide perception that Korean cars are badly built or doesn't last long as opposed to the Japanese cars. Also at the beginning there were Sonatas with large engines sold in the country which were quite heavy on fuel consumption so people automatically presume that all Sonatas to date are gas guzzlers. Maybe the Sonata might be a bit thirstier than the accord or Camry but I can't imagine it to be by that much.

Had access to 4th and 5th generation Sonatas and they were actually quite comfy cars. Had some decent pull to it as well (not as refined as the Mark X but that rowdyness added to the fun. Sure it had niggles like the dash cracking and the leather seats having a bit of peel and cracks; but considering that these were cars belonging to a shipping company they got used a lot.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

It is a good car, AFAIK fuel economy is better than same year Accord.  I don't know how to explain it , steering is not responsive (doesn't provide sufficient feedback to feel that you can handle it precisely ).

My next comment might be unfair for Sonata because this might be normal for some well known reliable brands as well.

Last 6 months i test drove three 2011/2012 Sonatas and 2 cars are very close to 50K ODO. but once these two cars are inspected there were 3-4 electrical problems per car (very minor , something like volume controller mounted in steering wheel doesn't work, rear power shutters doesn't work,history codes for ABS sensor failure ).

Other than that some mechanical problems like rack ends (inner tie rods ) and tie rods are worn out.

I believe this kind of problems might be normal for50K car (genuine mileage , Hyundai records available ).

anyway i checked with Hyundai the parts availability and price , according to that this is a car that we can easily maintain.

NOTE: I don't   own a Sonta , this is fully based on the pre study i did. Sonata,Cerato,ford focus,Axela were in my list and i kept looking for a car in last few months.

1 hour ago, MV-5 said:

It is a good car, AFAIK fuel economy is better than same year Accord.  I don't know how to explain it , steering is not responsive (doesn't provide sufficient feedback to feel that you can handle it precisely ).

My next comment might be unfair for Sonata because this might be normal for some well known reliable brands as well.

Last 6 months i test drove three 2011/2012 Sonatas and 2 cars are very close to 50K ODO. but once these two cars are inspected there were 3-4 electrical problems per car (very minor , something like volume controller mounted in steering wheel doesn't work, rear power shutters doesn't work,history codes for ABS sensor failure ).

Other than that some mechanical problems like rack ends (inner tie rods ) and tie rods are worn out.

I believe this kind of problems might be normal for50K car (genuine mileage , Hyundai records available ).

anyway i checked with Hyundai the parts availability and price , according to that this is a car that we can easily maintain.

NOTE: I don't   own a Sonta , this is fully based on the pre study i did. Sonata,Cerato,ford focus,Axela were in my list and i kept looking for a car in last few months.

thanks those were interesting observations. with regards to handling what is the car youre using right now. maybe its a distinction between models.

i think u will get a few issues around the 50k km range and after 5 years. those type of things are expected. 

1 hour ago, dantoddd said:

thanks those were interesting observations. with regards to handling what is the car youre using right now. maybe its a distinction between models.

i think u will get a few issues around the 50k km range and after 5 years. those type of things are expected. 

two cars , 2010 mazda axela and 2000 mazda 323 (ZM) .

This 323 has done 170K and i am using it for 10 years, still its its axel/joints/rack ends/arms has no symptoms of any abnormal sound or play. so its mechanically solid.

That is why there was a hesitation to buy one of this sonata. I know it is not a fair comparison of long term reliability/durability of mechanical parts in between 2000 car and a 2011 car.

Edited by MV-5
add more
  • Like 1