• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle registration in srilanka

Jagg

Guys, I'm importing a civic from uk. The car chassis number says model of year is 2017, but bills of ladding and original invoice says it's model of year is 2018. Which year will they put in registration papers? And is it possible to  register this as a brand-new vehicle? Do I need to pay more for that? Procedure? SinceThis is the 1st time I'm importing a vehicle, I have no idea about all this.hlp me pls?

Edited by Jagg

Model Year (MY) and Year of Manufacture (YOM) are two different things. MY is the revision/version of the model and doesn't necessarily have to be the same as YOM. This is because production for a MY 2018 car for example can begin during the last months of 2017.

The chassis number refers to MY. And the VIN usually has only one digit that represents the MY (depends on region I think, so UK might be different). It can be any number, but the manufacturer increments it after every revision. A 2017 car can have "8" as the MY digit while a 2018 car can have "9". This is my understanding. 

I believe your legal documents should contain YOM - the actual year the car was manufactured. 

• Thanks 1

Customs usually calculate the age from the date of first registration of the vehicle. So if it is a used one you have to submit the 'de registration certificate' ( or 'cancellation of registration') from the importing country.

• Thanks 1