• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

EV Conversion Kit

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi Guys,

Though this topic is not the type that can answer directly, I appreciate if anyone can add something with contacts or contents, really appreciate it.

I was looking at EV Conversion kits on internet where we can buy one and install in to a car or jeep. The problem is that, I don't find anyone doing it in Sri Lanka or has done it as a project. (Couldn't find)

For instance, look at this kit. Though it's expensive and has 4 motors, same will come much cheaper with 2 motors. But lack of knowledge and experience will waste money and time if one is going to do it. So, hopefully if you are a mechanical / electrical engineer or even auto electrician that has something to say about, please post a reply. 

This is just a start of gathering some details about it before going to a practical installation. 

Thanks so much.

2 answers to this question

I am no expert on EVs, but why not popular in SL I have some hints.

1.Exorbitant price(USD 5000 w.o Battery,Charger?)

2.lack of tech knowledge

3.high risk of failure and doubt about profit return of the investment

4.other disadvantages of EV(Range,resale value...)

5.Impact on other comfort features like power steering,AC,Sound system..

so unless some one willing to throw about 2million for a hobby project and others see it being successful,I dont see any possibility such kits would be popular.

Potential concerns of such a system

1.Torque and speed control-> it is not easy to precisely control a motor speed(Proportional to the Voltage delivered) ,Torque(proportional to the  Current) at wheels. standard EVs have very advanced software to to avoid unintended acceleration etc.It becomes more complicated if Active/regenerative braking is needed or the EV kit will be supplimenting torque coming from a combustion engine.

2.Power dissipation and Thermal behaviour> High-load can put the system at risk of overheating/fire

But the idea of a customizable el. drive exle is quite interesting.It is being provided also by major suppliers now.

https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/media/global/products-and-services/passenger-cars-and-light-commercial-vehicles/powertrain-solutions/electric-drive/eaxle/summary_eaxle.pdf

https://www.groupe-psa.com/en/newsroom/automotive-innovation/plug-in-hybrid-vehicle/

Edited by ajm