Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0

Is 307 is a good option


hasithawanniarachchi
 Share

Question

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Peugeot 307. I will start with the cons

this car , there are “more” electrical components instead of mechanical components for functions like the throttle for example. It is a electric motor which drives the power steering fluid instead off a pully on the engine. What this translates is that there is a lot to go wrong in this car. Parts are rare and because of this they have high demand.  Some parts will fetch insane prices while some will be reasonable. This also has the same AL4 auto gearbox which has a track record of failing frequently. Power steering oil, auto gearbox oil , very expensive. The blaupunkt CD changer brakes all the time. 

 

The good , it is well equipped, for that time things like a trip computer was a big thing. Most models comes with climate control. It is very very comfortable for it’s size. Very stable at high speeds. Decent pickup with the 1.6 engines while the 1.4 engines provide better economy. 5 people can travel in very good comfort. Boot space is generous. 

 

Since it is your first euro think about getting a nice 206. They are not as complicated and have much better reliability. This too suffer from the AL4 auto gearbox but if you get a manual you can overcome this. It is also a very comfortable car for its size. It is much More fun to drive than the 307, especially the manual one. Although it’s not fast (in the real world) with the 8 valve engines , one gets a feeling of accelerating very fast , maybe due to the short gearbox. 

Cons , the rear suspension is a bit complicated. It has a bar like thing which houses all the razors etc. rarely does it go wrong but when it does you have the replace the whole bar which can cost quite a lot. Rear passenger space is cramped. Most cars come with winder windows in the rear. The meter board has a tendency to go wrong and the speed meter has its own magic of working and not working. 

 

The 206 is a lovely little car if you can find one from a genuine owner who took proper care of it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 minutes ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Peugeot 307. I will start with the cons

this car , there are “more” electrical components instead of mechanical components for functions like the throttle for example. It is a electric motor which drives the power steering fluid instead off a pully on the engine. What this translates is that there is a lot to go wrong in this car. Parts are rare and because of this they have high demand.  Some parts will fetch insane prices while some will be reasonable. This also has the same AL4 auto gearbox which has a track record of failing frequently. Power steering oil, auto gearbox oil , very expensive. The blaupunkt CD changer brakes all the time. 

 

The good , it is well equipped, for that time things like a trip computer was a big thing. Most models comes with climate control. It is very very comfortable for it’s size. Very stable at high speeds. Decent pickup with the 1.6 engines while the 1.4 engines provide better economy. 5 people can travel in very good comfort. Boot space is generous. 

 

Since it is your first euro think about getting a nice 206. They are not as complicated and have much better reliability. This too suffer from the AL4 auto gearbox but if you get a manual you can overcome this. It is also a very comfortable car for its size. It is much More fun to drive than the 307, especially the manual one. Although it’s not fast (in the real world) with the 8 valve engines , one gets a feeling of accelerating very fast , maybe due to the short gearbox. 

Cons , the rear suspension is a bit complicated. It has a bar like thing which houses all the razors etc. rarely does it go wrong but when it does you have the replace the whole bar which can cost quite a lot. Rear passenger space is cramped. Most cars come with winder windows in the rear. The meter board has a tendency to go wrong and the speed meter has its own magic of working and not working. 

 

The 206 is a lovely little car if you can find one from a genuine owner who took proper care of it. 

16

Dear Flying Fox,

That's a paradox I'm in right now. 307 or 206. after reading your's I feel 307 could be a terrible choice especially when thinking about the electrical components and the high maintenance cost.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, hasithawanniarachchi said:

Dear Flying Fox,

That's a paradox I'm in right now. 307 or 206. after reading your's I feel 307 could be a terrible choice especially when thinking about the electrical components and the high maintenance cost.

Thanks

Dude...

you are buying a 16-year old car. Expect problems irrespective of whether its a 307, 206 or a 121.

Its ridiculous to say things like: don't buy a 307, buy a 206

What's more important, is how the actual car has been maintained. If you find a 307 with repairs done on time and is in mechanically sound condition, will you accept @TheFlyingFox's advice and go for a 206?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Dude...

you are buying a 16-year old car. Expect problems irrespective of whether its a 307, 206 or a 121.

Its ridiculous to say things like: don't buy a 307, buy a 206

What's more important, is how the actual car has been maintained. If you find a 307 with repairs done on time and is in mechanically sound condition, will you accept @TheFlyingFox's advice and go for a 206?

Hi Mate,

thanks for the input. No, if the 307 is in good condition I wouldn't go for 206. I'm just balancing my thoughts among various suggestions. I have phoned up few of the Peaugot garages around the city and still didn't made up my mind for anything yet. All the advice, critics are welcome. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
52 minutes ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Who asked not to buy a 307 and to buy a 206? Since he is a first time “euro” car buyer the logical thing to do is to get something that won’t hurt his pocket or his time.  I only “recomended” for him to look at a “well looked after” 206  

 

If you had owned a 307 it is as rediculous to recommend it to someone even if it had been properly maintained. The 307 worldwide is a very unreliable car, recalled for many things. Two many new first time components were put into it. The 206 is a more simpler car which relies on more mechanical components opposed to more electronic components on the 307. 

 

EDIT: http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/307/2002/single-page/

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/206/2001/single-page/

 

for whoever who wants to get an idea. 

Thanks, mate, I value your inputs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -1
56 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Dude...

you are buying a 16-year old car. Expect problems irrespective of whether its a 307, 206 or a 121.

Its ridiculous to say things like: don't buy a 307, buy a 206

What's more important, is how the actual car has been maintained. If you find a 307 with repairs done on time and is in mechanically sound condition, will you accept @TheFlyingFox's advice and go for a 206?

Who asked not to buy a 307 and to buy a 206? Since he is a first time “euro” car buyer the logical thing to do is to get something that won’t hurt his pocket or his time.  I only “recomended” for him to look at a “well looked after” 206  

 

If you had owned a 307 it is as rediculous to recommend it to someone even if it had been properly maintained. The 307 worldwide is a very unreliable car, recalled for many things. Two many new first time components were put into it. The 206 is a more simpler car which relies on more mechanical components opposed to more electronic components on the 307. 

 

EDIT: http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/307/2002/single-page/

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/206/2001/single-page/

 

for whoever who wants to get an idea. 

Edited by TheFlyingFox
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

AutoLanka Cars For Sale

Post Your Ad Free [Click Here]



×
×
  • Create New...