• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda GP1 steering rack problem

Cham12063

Question

I have a honda GP1. I did the steering rack repaired but after the repair  it is not functioning properly.Its hard to turn to one side.Please share your similar  ecperiences and the best way to get this repaired.

Edited by Cham12063

5 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Cham12063 said:

I have a honda GP1. I did the steering rack repaired but after the repair  it is not functioning properly.Its hard to turn to one side.Please share your similar  ecperiences and the best way to get this repaired.

Is it hard to turn to one side only? Other side okay?

Well, once the steering rack is repaired it usually feels tighter to turn the steering than before and the steering return is also lesser than prior to the repair. However, once you use the car for a few days the tightness gradually reduces. But, it will not be the same as prior to the repair and you would feel the stiffness in the steering. If the stiffness is too uncomfortable for you to drive you would be able to adjust the stiffness a bit from a garage.

If you feel that you need the steering to be as before, the best option would be to replace the rack with a used or a new steering rack which would be costly.

Checked the EPS system? How's the wheel alignment? A failing EPS motor can cause a stiff feeling. Like @Dee Jay said, drive carefully for a few days and see if you notice any difference. Do get it checked in a garage as soon as possible though. 

Edited by AVANTE

On 3/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Cham12063 said:

Dear Friend,

I do not recommend repairing steering racks. Better option is buying a reconditioned one. I think cost for both options has no big difference. Anyway for your problem please check whether the steering rack nut is in correct tight. Please check this video to find where that nut is. What this nut does is tighten the rack to the rack housing. Too much tight will cause hard to steer. Less tight will cause steering play.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:27 PM, Dee Jay said:

Is it hard to turn to one side only? Other side okay?

Well, once the steering rack is repaired it usually feels tighter to turn the steering than before and the steering return is also lesser than prior to the repair. However, once you use the car for a few days the tightness gradually reduces. But, it will not be the same as prior to the repair and you would feel the stiffness in the steering. If the stiffness is too uncomfortable for you to drive you would be able to adjust the stiffness a bit from a garage.

If you feel that you need the steering to be as before, the best option would be to replace the rack with a used or a new steering rack which would be costly.

This happens if the Rack is not repaired properly. I got my rack (Gp1) repaired from the famous rack repair place in Negambo and it was a perfect job. steering was as smooth as it was before and returning is absolutely normal.

I did the repair about 4 months ago and so far no issues 

On 3/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Cham12063 said:

I have exact same experienced on my Honda Fit GP1 few years back. 100% agreed with for Ted's post. steering rack nut is in too tight due to Rack and pinon worn out. True when using few days will loose the wheel or you can loosen nut manually. But then Daka Daka noise will come again. After repair on my GP1 steering wheel was very tight and not returned. even heard grinding noise when turning. when loosen the nut manually noise came back. I will never Recommend repair racks best thing replace with recondition one. 

Following is my previous post about Aqua Rack.

I have repaired Steering Rack of my Aqua twice. It was never workout for me. repaired rack only last few months only with very bad roads in Sri Lanka.  If only Rack bush worn out repair by replacing bush will be Ok. But if Rack and pinion worn out it can never repair. Just waste of money. Only thing Replace with Brand new one or Good conditioned Recondition one as i did for my Aqua. Guarge Mechanics will say it can be repair you can run year or two blah blah never true. you will hear daka daka noise within few weeks or months when loosing tightened rack. This is experience from not only Aqua few of my previous cars Suzuki, Honda Fit, Prius all the same. If any one knows how to repair Rack and pinion repairing Rack will be Ok.

Also if you are running good Carpeted Roads most of time repaired rack will last more period of time. and also check rack ends and Tie rod ends are tight.

Note that repairing rack will cost you Rs.10K to Rs.12K and recondition rack of Aqua will cost Rs.20K to 25K.