• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice on quickshifting

AVANTE

Hi Guys, so I have the practice of quickshifting during spirited drives through backroads.

Basically I clutch, shift and gas all in a few milliseconds in a way the car doesn't make any abrupt noises or jerks (obvious sign of a bad shift). Basically how you see racing drivers do. Thankfully my downshifts and Rev matching are smooth too around 90% of the time. 

But note:- by quickshifting I don't mean rough shifting where I abuse the shifter with brute force like Vin diesel. A very soft click with 2 fingers or my palm is what I mean. 

On normal drives I just shift.. Normally. Now I have been told that quickshifting can hurt synchros and the shifter mechanism. 

Can someone shed some light on this topic?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Hi Guys, so I have the practice of quickshifting during spirited drives through backroads.

Basically I clutch, shift and gas all in a few milliseconds in a way the car doesn't make any abrupt noises or jerks (obvious sign of a bad shift). Basically how you see racing drivers do. Thankfully my downshifts and Rev matching are smooth too around 90% of the time. 

But note:- by quickshifting I don't mean rough shifting where I abuse the shifter with brute force like Vin diesel. A very soft click with 2 fingers or my palm is what I mean. 

On normal drives I just shift.. Normally. Now I have been told that quickshifting can hurt synchros and the shifter mechanism. 

Can someone shed some light on this topic?

Saaar Does it do more on petrol when u do that?

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2021 at 11:12 PM, AVANTE said:

Basically how you see racing drivers do.

Can't shed much light on this topic. But this at least deserves a 😯 🧐

Just kidding old chap! All of us dream of flicking through the gearbox and rev matching downshifts like Dorikin everytime we take the car out...In my case, the only time I was able to rev match was when I had a DSG :D :D !! 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Can't shed much light on this topic. But this at least deserves a 😯 🧐

Just kidding old chap! All of us dream of flicking through the gearbox and rev matching downshifts like Dorikin everytime we take the car out...In my case, the only time I was able to rev match was when I had a DSG :D :D !! 

Old chap?!?! Ehm, I'm a little chap sir! Haha. 

Rev matching is easy, it's the toe-heel system I still haven't mastered because I don't do it much. But rev matching on a motorcycle is even easier and smoother and more satisfying, revs be going higher than most cars redlines. 

All part of the essence of pure driving, down to the finer details like this. Right bro? 

Also there's something satisfying about a DSG/DCT matching the revs with the touch of a button. It's 100% smooth, but it's more rewarding with a stick! 

19 minutes ago, AVANTE said:

Old chap?!?! Ehm, I'm a little chap sir! Haha. 

It was a figuare of speech, but sure: Noted! 😄

Also there's something satisfying about a DSG/DCT matching the revs with the touch of a button.

Also crazy how fast they are...

but it's more rewarding with a stick! 

(That's what she said? 😆)

Manual transmissions are king! And the joy a perfectly executed downshift brings can't be described...

• Haha 2

Between 05 and 07 I use to drive my car from Gampaha to Trinco every week Sunday and back on Friday. From Inamaluwa junction onwards road is pretty empty back then towards Kanthale and hardly seen any vegetation.

I was doing the same but had no issues, for an Indian made car and 5 speed Maruti transmission and it was common to have issues with the 5-speed transmission but I have had none for engine and tranny. If I am not mistaken I had to replace 1 or 2 engine mounts.

regards,

JC

• Like 1

Manual transmissions always cause a little bit of extra strain on the driveline (from engine mounts to diffs/axels) compared to a torque converter auto since the torque converter is like a giant sponge soaking up all the fun! :D 

Don`t think there`s a right or wrong answer to this since each car is designed differently and drive condition/styles are also different. For example, shifter linkages using a direct rod mechanism would be able to handle more abuse over a cable based mechanism.

But honestly, if you know what you are doing the strain on things would be a minimum. So who cares eh, I`d say have fun when you feel like it... :) 

Edited by MrCat
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrCat said:

Manual transmissions always cause a little bit of extra strain on the driveline (from engine mounts to diffs/axels) compared to a torque converter auto since the torque converter is like a giant sponge soaking up all the fun! :D 

Don`t think there`s a right or wrong answer to this since each car is designed differently and drive condition/styles are also different. For example, shifter linkages using a direct rod mechanism would be able to handle more abuse over a cable based mechanism.

But honestly, if you know what you are doing the strain on things would be a minimum. So who cares eh, I`d say have fun when you feel like it... :) 

Wow, learnt somethings today! 

Then coming to the conclusion, basically there's a stress. Just like how driving fast does stress the components. Better to just stress it when it really matters I guess. 

5 hours ago, john cooper said:

Between 05 and 07 I use to drive my car from Gampaha to Trinco every week Sunday and back on Friday. From Inamaluwa junction onwards road is pretty empty back then towards Kanthale and hardly seen any vegetation.

I was doing the same but had no issues, for an Indian made car and 5 speed Maruti transmission and it was common to have issues with the 5-speed transmission but I have had none for engine and tranny. If I am not mistaken I had to replace 1 or 2 engine mounts.

regards,

JC

The stress on the mounts is worth noting. Like MrCat had now said, manuals tend to put more stress on such components compared to autos. 

Thanks everybody for the insights!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AVANTE said:

d now said, manuals tend to put more stress on such components compared to autos. 

Yeah, but in a well designed/made car spirited driving should not cause major harm if all is kept within the car`s design parameters (i.e not using grippier/wider tires, not loaded up with too much weight etc... ).  Could make a minor difference after 20/30 years perhaps(i.e. more maintenance), but definitely not within the first 10 years of a car`s life. 

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, about 10 years ago, I used a Civic FD. Drove it like I stole it from about 35k to 80k in the ODO. Launches, flat foot shifting, tried all sorts of things (not everyday, but whenever I felt like it :D).  Did regular oil changes and maintenance at the dealer. There were zero issues by the time I sold it. Not even wearables like brake pads or clutch got replaced within that 80k.  I also know a good friend who used an E90 (320i) from new to close to 200k. It was a manual and he never babied it. Just maintained right and drove hard all day, had zero issues with the drivetrain.  

Edited by MrCat

6 hours ago, MrCat said:

Yeah, but in a well designed/made car spirited driving should not cause major harm if all is kept within the car`s design parameters (i.e not using grippier/wider tires, not loaded up with too much weight etc... ).  Could make a minor difference after 20/30 years perhaps(i.e. more maintenance), but definitely not within the first 10 years of a car`s life. 

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, about 10 years ago, I used a Civic FD. Drove it like I stole it from about 35k to 80k in the ODO. Launches, flat foot shifting, tried all sorts of things (not everyday, but whenever I felt like it :D).  Did regular oil changes and maintenance at the dealer. There were zero issues by the time I sold it. Not even wearables like brake pads or clutch got replaced within that 80k.  I also know a good friend who used an E90 (320i) from new to close to 200k. It was a manual and he never babied it. Just maintained right and drove hard all day, had zero issues with the drivetrain.  

Ohhh this is worth talking about. 

Yes, I agree. Like you said, as long as you keep within the parameters and know what you're doing, it will handle it. 

Italian tune ups aren't old talk or myth. It really does apply to modern cars as well. Cars are meant to heat up and work, not just be babied. I lost a CEL on the pug by pushing it a bit. I believe it was a dirty o2 sensor as the owner did talk about it needing to be replaced. 

On another topic, I love every Gen of the 3 series, but the 4 cylinder E90s don't have a good rep do they? What's your take? 

Remembered my weekly drives up and down Colombo - Nuwara Eliya with 4 people and a boot full of cloths. My CS1 had only 1.3L and a measly 90bhp. But the shift and clutch had perfect balance and you have to keep stirring shift keep the momentum through the corners and engine in peak torque (around 3-5K rpm). Did almost 120K in the car with only 2 front shocks replaced around 40K. Car was as good as new when I sold it and it gave many more trouble free motoring for the new owner.

Sprited driving never hurts. You do more damage keeping the reves at 1500 in high gears trying to squeeze each ounce of petrol.